Corvette gunning for Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Don't hold your breath.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 AM
boostfiend is infamous around these parts
At the end of the day it's a C7 base that will walk a 991 base all day for less than 55k. Brand loyalty or not it's a hell of a car, half the people in this thread didn't even watch the video or look at the car specs and could care less if it's 20 seconds (huge exageration) quicker at VIR/Laguna Seca than a 991 all that matters is it's a Corvette and not a Porsche. Too say that Corvette isn't on par with Porsche engineering wise is pretty ridiculous Corvette Racing has been putting a hurt on a Porsche pretty badly for the last 15 years endless Lemans wins and championships.

I don't know how anyone can consider a 991 very exclusive or exotic they are literally everywhere in popular cities. Just went through this when a relative was cross shopping a Maserati Gran Turismo S (144k) and a 991 S Cab (135k) the cars can't be more apples to oranges but the 991 lost right away because everyone around here has one and it's far exclusive over here at least.

Last edited by boostfiend; 07-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:53 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Here are the cars I traded towards my 2013 Black 991 Carrera S in December:

And when I decided to trade the black car for my white 2013 Carrera S, I revisited a few options before I took the hit: I retried the ZR1, the Shelby and the GTR.

All I can say is that I'm loving the daylights out of my Porsche.

Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 PM
JMMB 911 is infamous around these parts
I have a C6 corvette, its my first sports car and therefore I can never get rid of it. I ordered a 991 4S about 3 weeks ago and the wait seems like it is taking forever. This will be my first porsche .I love the C7, but the 991 made more sense because this will be my everyday car and that to me made all the difference. Money wasn't the factor, it's something i've wanted for some time now and down the road I will get a C7. Both are fantastic cars in their own way. They are two different icons and are very different.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 PM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
There will always be people (mainly guys) arguing about what car is better. What is comes down to is personal preference and what excites you. I had a 2010 GT3 RS and decided that was not the car for me. If you want to talk about "Exclusivity"...I think that car was high on the list. Either way...I would buy the 991 C4S I have now over the RS any day. Not that the 991 C4S is a better car, but rather that is is my personal preference.

So let everyone argue over what is better and just drive what you like. Don't think I am not a Porsche loyalist...just look at my signature!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Nuke986 has a spectacular aura aboutNuke986 has a spectacular aura about
Right were it belongs:

Name:  porsche rearview c7.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  64.5 KB

Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
You're not alone with this perspective.

But I''ll suggest that Corvette has listened to their base, and have improved in just about every place that everyone has complained about (the rest will be determined years from now).
The "base" is the problem. Corvette's base does not want a European style car consequently the new Vette is flashy with an overstyled American rearend and not very tastefully done interior design and still the "base" complains that it look too much like a Ferrari.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 991 TT
I have a C6 corvette, its my first sports car and therefore I can never get rid of it. I ordered a 991 4S about 3 weeks ago and the wait seems like it is taking forever. This will be my first porsche .I love the C7, but the 991 made more sense because this will be my everyday car and that to me made all the difference. Money wasn't the factor, it's something i've wanted for some time now and down the road I will get a C7. Both are fantastic cars in their own way. They are two different icons and are very different.
^Totally agree^

Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nuke986
Right were it belongs:

Attachment 264713

In a Panamera rear view mirror, really?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 991 TT
They are two different icons and are very different.
Absolutely. I had very little 'respect' for the 'Vette until a fine gentleman took me around VIR in his Z06. It could not be more different than my 991 (hammer vs scalpel), but it was fun! The real downside was the fit and finish: my seat folded forward each time he hit the brakes and the rear view mirrors were vibrating so much on the backstraight that we could not even use them.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
I think it is funny the people in here who think a Corvette can't handle.

You can make fun of the pre-C7 interior and seats all day long, and the owners pot bellies, but to knock the Corvettes performance just shows ignorance.

This is coming from a 911 owner who prefers the feel of his 911 but respects the capabilities of the Corvette.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM
It seems to me that the C7 has the looks of a Ferrari, the performance of a 991 (except no dual clutch transmission - yet), and the price of a base Cayman. The new interior can be ordered in fine leather with "suede" (like Alcantara but w/o the brand name) that looks awesome in pictures. The build quality won't rival the Porsche and there's no escaping the image problem (but Porsche owners have an undeserved negative rep, too so that's a wash), and in the wet the Vette loses all grip (at least, the C6 did so I may be wrong about the C7) but it's quite a lot of car for the money and quite a lot of car, money notwithstanding.
When they come out with the Z06 and ZR1 versions they should be close to Turbo S territory at almost half the cost. Formidable.

Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:51 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
and in the wet the Vette loses all grip (at least, the C6 did so I may be wrong about the C7)
Proper tires and the Corvette does just fine in the rain. I actually felt very confident running my Z06 wearing PS2's in a downpour.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:58 PM
sinKing, I base that statement on this article:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

"The inclement weather -- rain and snow -- had turned our idyllic California canyon comparison test into something of a struggle. Especially as one of the cars had been rendered almost completely undriveable. Which one? I'll give you a hint: It's not the yellow car."

Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
sinKing, I base that statement on this article:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

"The inclement weather -- rain and snow -- had turned our idyllic California canyon comparison test into something of a struggle. Especially as one of the cars had been rendered almost completely undriveable. Which one? I'll give you a hint: It's not the yellow car."
Yes, I would not want the Z06 in the snow. Wide summer tires don't seem to work too well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Corvette gunning for Porsche