Black cars are a pain to clean!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:23 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Black cars are a pain to clean!

But well worth the effort!

Where have all the swirl marks gone?

Attached Images        
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Wow.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice!
Do you mind coming over to my place for a professional cleaning?

:-)

Old 04-28-2013, 04:29 PM
ww007 has a spectacular aura aboutww007 has a spectacular aura aboutww007 has a spectacular aura about
Nice! Is that the basalt black or regular black?

I have the basalt black and it took me 6 hrs to wash, clay, and wax my car. Then again, I'm also a noob at it.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Regular black.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Well done Pete. The deep color cars are so rewarding when they are clean - you know, for that 10 minutes! What products did you use?

What a shine!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 PM
maukadream$ is infamous around these parts
AND what methods/steps? I have a mahogany metallic 981 that I need to baby like black! Thanks. Jon

Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Great job!

I have a black 07 Turbo and it still glistens. I do admit that it is professionallly detailed frequently . The black is quite soft and can swirl just by looking at it !!! Yet i have found that when people see a black car they almost expect it to be dirty and if it happens to be clean it gets very noticed . I also learned that when I had a white car it shows any type of dirt as well . In fact any type of black smudge does not show on a black car but stands out on a white car .

The easist to maintain is by far silver . It even looks clean when its dirty.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Nicely done..

Old 04-28-2013, 09:28 PM
T.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of light
Very NICE !!!! This is the results of the products we spoke about ?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Wow, nice detailing work, mirror finish

Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !

You're good at this!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Tricks of the Trade!

Here it is in a nutshell: the dealer's prep crew had done a horrible job cleaning the car, but I figured I'd get things under control. It turned into an uphill battle and I was reaching the point where I was seriously considering trading the car in for another color. I know that sounds ****, but at this stage of my life, I feel there isn't time for any unnecessary BS.

This is my first black car so I had to relearn many things about caring for the finish. I spent a lot of time and money over the last couple of months, and hopefully I can save my fellow forum members some grief:

I won't waste time with the products that didn't work, so I'll only list the winners:

These pads will work well with a Flex or Porter Cable orbital polisher. You'll need two of them:

Constant Pressure Hi-gloss Orange 6.5 Inch Flat Polishing Pad : Amazon.com : Automotive Constant Pressure Hi-gloss Orange 6.5 Inch Flat Polishing Pad : Amazon.com : Automotive

One of these:

Optimum Polish II, 8 oz : Amazon.com : Automotive Optimum Polish II, 8 oz : Amazon.com : Automotive

These work great:
Griot's Garage 11231 Micro Fiber Speed Shine Cloth - Set of 3 : Amazon.com : Automotive Griot's Garage 11231 Micro Fiber Speed Shine Cloth - Set of 3 : Amazon.com : Automotive

This product is one of the easiest to apply, yet gives the best results:

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant : Amazon.com : Automotive Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant : Amazon.com : Automotive

Now, here is the Holy Grail. This is the key to success!

DI-120 Cr Spotless Water System : Amazon.com : Automotive DI-120 Cr Spotless Water System : Amazon.com : Automotive

I had no idea how badly the water at my home was screwing up the finish until I got a black car. Even after using a leaf blower to dry the car, I was getting white spots and swirl marks: the hard water was even eating into the glass. It's a nightmare.

The final job:

I washed the car with Dawn dish soap to remove all the previous products.

I used a clay bar and detailing spray to remove any foreign substances from the finish.

I removed the swirls with Optimum Polish and the orange pads.

I applied the Wolfgang sealer by hand: allow it to dry for an hour before removing; it goes on and off very easily.

Maintenance:

Once you got the car to where you like it, maintaining the finish shouldn't be all that difficult.

Wash the car with a good soap like this brand:
Chemical Guys CWS_301 Citrus Wash and Gloss Citrus Based Hyper-Concentrated Wash+Gloss - 1 Gallon : Amazon.com : Automotive Chemical Guys CWS_301 Citrus Wash and Gloss Citrus Based Hyper-Concentrated Wash+Gloss - 1 Gallon : Amazon.com : Automotive

Blow dry with an electric leaf blower (I use a Toro), or gently dry with a good quality waffle-weave towel.

Griot's Garage 11117 Micro Fiber Drying Towel : Amazon.com : Automotive Griot's Garage 11117 Micro Fiber Drying Towel : Amazon.com : Automotive

Best of luck!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Carrera Pete. My 991 is white but I have 2 other cars that are black
For polishing I use Griots orbital polisher and their #3 polish..

Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
That reflection is crazy. Thought you took a picture of your ceiling.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black cars are a pain to clean!