Scuffed side of drivers seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Scuffed side of drivers seat

My home and garage are old and it is not possible to open the doors all the way when getting in and out. And I am neither small nor nimble. As a result, I am always scuffing the side of the drivers seat when getting in. I would think that some small piece of clear plastic would protect it. Anyone else have this problem or an answer?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Hi Michael,

Sorry you are having this problem. Are you scuffing the bottom seat portion or the upper portion. When getting in I try to clear the left side of the bottom piece and kind of drop myself in the seat. When getting out I use my left hand to push me out of the car using the top portion around shoulder height. At 6'2" 200 lbs I am not the most nimble myself. Your seasts are red correct? Ared you losing the red in the seats?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
AG:
Being older, I too can appreciate your problem. I Agree with Michael's comment about using you left hand and shoulder to help, but you also might try moving the seat back before you get out.

ChuckJ

Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM
carsrmyvice is infamous around these partscarsrmyvice is infamous around these parts
I have a few small marks on the side bolster of my 14 ways. I am 6'3'' 215 so I do a small bit of kung fu to get in, particularly in my garage. I used my memory seat setting three for ingress egress, which is pushing the seat nearly all the way back and also tilting the seat back slightly. When parking I hit setting three and then back to driving position when I am leaving. A little annoying but i cannot complain. The 991 has as much room as one can ask for in a sports car.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carsrmyvice
I have a few small marks on the side bolster of my 14 ways. I am 6'3'' 215 so I do a small bit of kung fu to get in, particularly in my garage. I used my memory seat setting three for ingress egress, which is pushing the seat nearly all the way back and also tilting the seat back slightly. When parking I hit setting three and then back to driving position when I am leaving. A little annoying but i cannot complain. The 991 has as much room as one can ask for in a sports car.
Yep, that's what I did with my MT C2. I don't have to do that with my PDK.

Fortunately I also designed the garage to be very wide so I can open both car doors all the way open without hitting another car or wall.

ChuckJ

Old 04-29-2013, 09:18 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
AG:
Being older, I too can appreciate your problem. I Agree with Michael's comment about using you left hand and shoulder to help, but you also might try moving the seat back before you get out.

ChuckJ
If you have memory package, the seat should automatically move back when you turn off the car and open the door.

To get in my car I stand at 90 degrees to the direction of travel, with both feet on the ground. Sit down onto the seat, without touching the bolster, then pick up both feet and swivel 90 degrees and drop my feet into the pedals well. Perfect, no-touch on the bolster.

Last edited by TTCarrera; 04-29-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
If you have memory package, the seat should automatically move back when you turn off the car and open the door.

To get in my car I stand at 90 degrees to the direction of travel, with both feet on the ground. Sit down onto the seat, without touching the bolster, then pick up both feet and swivel 90 degrees and drop my feet into the pedals well. Perfect, no-touch on the bolster.
Using the comfort entry and exit, can you adjust the amount of distance the seat moves back upon exit? My seat moves back a little bit, but would like it to move back more. Is there a way to that?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
When I had a Lotus Elise with the hard top up, I learned to get into it with one flowing motion. Entry into the 991 is like getting into a London cab for me. Then again I'm 5'9" and 138.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the advice all! It is the left side of the bolster that is the problem. I will see what I can do about programming the keyless entry to help. But I think some sort of plastic shield would be more likely to prevent this.

Thanks again!
Michael

Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AG991
Thanks for the advice all! It is the left side of the bolster that is the problem. I will see what I can do about programming the keyless entry to help. But I think some sort of plastic shield would be more likely to prevent this.

Thanks again!
Michael
Hi Michael,

My left side bolster also has a spot looking worn, and I've only had the car since september of '12 - though I do drive her almost every day and enter/exit several times. I think I will always brush against that spot getting in and out, and just try to do as little damage as possible.

A strip of clear plastic mailing/package tape over the spot on the bolster would help, but I just can't bring myself to do that. hehe. I wonder, there must be some sage solution to this (as in a repair, I suppose) as the 997 I drove for a while had the same type of wear. Perhaps repairing the spot is not difficult, or has been practiced by the professionals a good amount, if need be at some point.

Last edited by nicoli; 05-05-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by nicoli
Hi Michael,

My left side bolster also has a spot looking worn, and I've only had the car since september of '12 - though I do drive her almost every day and enter/exit several times. I think I will always brush against that spot getting in and out, and just try to do as little damage as possible.

A strip of clear plastic mailing/package tape over the spot on the bolster would help, but I just can't bring myself to do that. hehe. I wonder, there must be some sage solution to this (as in a repair, I suppose) as the 997 I drove for a while had the same type of wear. Perhaps repairing the spot is not difficult, or has been practiced by the professionals a good amount, if need be at some point.
Dear Nicoli,
Thanks. I had the same idea about the tape and the same reservation. I am also concerned what the glue might do to the leather. Another previously observed that the leather in these cars seems to be delicate - I now have reason to agree. I will keep on looking for an answer. Let me know if you findone first. Thanks!
Michael

Old 05-06-2013, 02:43 PM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
I have the same issue, not only that but the luxor beige I have is dirty only in that place too. It's $900 to replace the bottom seat part, so a solution would be nice.