Road and Track "apologizes to the world" over PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
carsrmyvice is infamous around these partscarsrmyvice is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mrstep
But you do agree that if you want a PDK you may as well just buy an '86 Buick Skylark, right? Just kidding, but yeah, saying that preferring a MT means you should drive a Miata is about that logical.

Drive what you like folks, at least as long as you have that option!
Okay so what I said was just short of hyperbole. But comparing pdk to the transmission in an 86 skylark? That is ludicrous.
For what we pay for these damn things, buyers should get whatever they want. The frunk should come packed with waygu beef and johnny walker on delivery.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carsrmyvice
The frunk should come packed with waygu beef and johnny walker on delivery.
I'm in!!!! woohoo!

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)

Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tromero
I am amazed at the number of posters that seem to feel threatened because an auto magazine offered an opinion which differs from their own. Just because a magazine offered their opinion does not mean there is a sinister conspiracy to debunk PDK cars or Porsche in general. I feel these guys, who drive cars and write about them for a living, were just offering their honest opinion. It is an opinion I share and one I have opined about for years, however , this is the first time I have seen it in print. They are not attempting to make everyone who bought a PDK feel like they made a mistake. They are simply lamenting the fact that they ENJOY driving a manual better in the GT3.
Get the April issue and read the Lotus - Porsche comparison test to understand what the new editor of Road and Track is attempting to do to attract readership. Check all the numbers so you can see what was manipulated to produce the result. Also look at the year over year circulation numbers and you can understand the straights they are in.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 AM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
The mechanism of how a gear is changed should not matter, whether it is moving a stick or flicking a paddle. The gear change is still made by the driver. If the only fun a driver has is moving a stick around, I'd suggest there is a lot lost during the drive.[/QUOTE]

I, and I am sure the vast majority of 991 owners, do not drive the car on a track 99% of the time. I happen to live and drive the car around other cars, people, and traffic police. As I am not driving the car at high speed most of the time, shifing the MT is something that makes the drive more enjoyable. It is nothing like "flicking" a paddle.

I am glad that many of you seem to like the PDK. I do not. It really doesn't matter how fast the car shifts with PDK. My 3 year old Mazda probably shifts faster than I shift the 991.

I guess I am conflicted as to how I would feel if Porsche stops making the MT. I wouldn't own another new Porsche but at least my current one would have more value.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
I am amazed at the number of posters that seem to feel threatened because an auto magazine offered an opinion which differs from their own. Just because a magazine offered their opinion does not mean there is a sinister conspiracy to debunk PDK cars or Porsche in general. I feel these guys, who drive cars and write about them for a living, were just offering their honest opinion. It is an opinion I share and one I have opined about for years, however , this is the first time I have seen it in print. They are not attempting to make everyone who bought a PDK feel like they made a mistake. They are simply lamenting the fact that they ENJOY driving a manual better in the GT3.
lol, I'm laughing at all the people who are hurt about it. It's one man's opinion, valid one at that. When you are taking away a tradition people are going to write and talk about it. Look at how many threads started with this topic already. Yes PDK is great and I've driven it on the track, it's fast but it does lack involvement. It's not as fun as trying to master a manual. Fastest time is laughable as the majority of us don't even race, even at the track. We are out there to have fun, chat with people with the same interest. I drive an suv/minivan 70% of the time (have 3 small kids) and I look forward to hopping in the Porsche 30% of the time and rowing through all those gears. I would die if I had to drive another automatic no matter how great it is, it is still an automatic. And after you played with the paddles for a few hours, you go back to auto mode. Porsche should offer the manual as standard (stick with tradition) and charged for PDK (like the rest of the world does with autos).

Last edited by Ynot; 05-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by carsrmyvice
Okay so what I said was just short of hyperbole. But comparing pdk to the transmission in an 86 skylark? That is ludicrous.
For what we pay for these damn things, buyers should get whatever they want. The frunk should come packed with waygu beef and johnny walker on delivery.
Ludicrous!? Well... guilty as charged.

But more importantly - can you imagine the option price of getting that loaded frunk? If marketed correctly, it could be the X52 kit - it moves the weight balance closer to 50/50. Say $8500?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:33 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I had a PDK and switched back to manual... The manual is a lot more fun to drive...

Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
If you only think manual transmission cars are fun, don't bother driving a new Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, or F1 car.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Having grappled with this issue for a long time, I've decided the solution for me is to have two cars.

For me, driving comes down to 3 categories: Track, suburban and highway (GT cruising), and spirited street driving (ideally spirited and with lots of twisties). I think my PDK 991S excels at the first two categories for all the reasons it is lacking in the third category -- namely the PDK, electric steering, and PDCC. I'd never give up those technologies though when driving the car near its limit (i.e. at the track).

On spirited street drives though, the car only feels alive enough to me at hooligan speeds. So I'm in the market for an air-cooled, ideally SWB, to scratch that itch. I don't know of a car that excels at all three categories so this is the best I've come up with.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Having grappled with this issue for a long time, I've decided the solution for me is to have two cars.

For me, driving comes down to 3 categories: Track, suburban and highway (GT cruising), and spirited street driving (ideally spirited and with lots of twisties). I think my PDK 991S excels at the first two categories for all the reasons it is lacking in the third category -- namely the PDK, electric steering, and PDCC. I'd never give up those technologies though when driving the car near its limit (i.e. at the track).

On spirited street drives though, the car only feels alive enough to me at hooligan speeds. So I'm in the market for an air-cooled, ideally SWB, to scratch that itch. I don't know of a car that excels at all three categories so this is the best I've come up with.

+1 My other car is an MGB.... with OD on 3 and 4, so I suppose it's a 6 speed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	237984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1382.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	237991  

Last edited by rnl; 05-01-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KonaKai

i had air cooled Porsches for 40 years. You are right about them being huge fun- there is nothing else like them. They are geared for high RPM in the first three gears and with the right muffler, sublime. The thing about spirited street or country road driving is that it is most fun when you don't have so much power that sneezing is flat out unsafe and so much weight that the "snap" is missing. But early cars, particularly if without AC, are not much fun after a few hours on the highway and are no fun at all in traffic.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Been double declutching and heel toeing for 20 years. Testdrove pdk 991. Ordered pdk 991. Less involving? Really? Frees up time for even better breaking, better car positioning, better managing car balance. Plenty involving to me.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Had a PDK 09 C4S cab for a year. Since then, I have bought 5 911's---- all manuals. I got a 458 but only because there was no choice. Great car, but MT would have been more fun.

If Porsche stops making MT cars, I can always buy some new American muscle. The new Viper and Stingray looks pretty nice.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Buddilly is infamous around these parts
Cry me a river...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by terrence
Had a PDK 09 C4S cab for a year. Since then, I have bought 5 911's---- all manuals. I got a 458 but only because there was no choice. Great car, but MT would have been more fun.

If Porsche stops making MT cars, I can always buy some new American muscle. The new Viper and Stingray looks pretty nice.
I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, we haven't even seen both as no cost options or MT as a costed option yet. I think this GT3 issue is based around the fact that:
1. A lot of track use where Porsche wants to put the fastest possible foot forward
2. A lot of changes from the production transmission which would add considerable cost in putting both into production at such a low production rate (testing included).

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Road and Track "apologizes to the world" over PDK