Tire Sealant Exploded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Tire Sealant Exploded

For some reason, my tire repair kit decided to explode during the past 24 hours, leaving sealant all over the place (see photos). No apparent reason--it's actually kind of cold these days in northern CA, between 50 at night and 70 during the day.

Does anyone know how to clean up the mess?

Also, did this happen to anybody else or is this just a freak accident?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1169.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	241147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1170.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	241148  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
Wow. That is not what you want to see when u open the hood. I could see maybe in a really hot environment, but 50's should not cause that type of reaction.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chancludo
Does anyone know how to clean up the mess?
Never seen this before

Do not waste your time cleaning up the mess, bring the car to the dealership, they have to fix it and replace the lining if they can not get it perfectly clean (may be hard to completely remove the sealant...)

Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 AM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
A good motivation to get rid of the sealant, buy a good tire plug kit, invest in a AAA+ membership, and have the Porsche 800# close at hand.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Update: took a closer look and it appears the cap of the bottle came off and the plastic below is actually not a seal but has an opening. So a fair amount of sealant escaped from the bottle into the plastic sac around the package. Unfortunately, that sac has a few holes by design, so that's what ultimately ruined the lining. The white stuff rubs right off the plastic and styrofoam of the lid, so it's just the lining I suppose.

Anyway, called the dealership since I need to get a few things fixed anyway (rattles, brakes squeaking, door adjustments, etc.).

But the learning here seems to be you may want to check your kit from time to time to see whether the cap has come undone or loose.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1171.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	241150  

Last edited by chancludo; 05-09-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the tip.

Here's the Mod, using a standard bottle cap:

Before:

After:

Attached Images   
Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM
TTTerriffic! Thanks for this inventive idea!

Also I didn't know the cap is off by default. Seems like the seal should really be a seal but somehow came loose in my kit...

Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Fantastic idea TT!!

ChuckJ

Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Great mod TT!!! Should be posted in the DIY sticky thread..

Old 05-09-2013, 03:59 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Chancludo and TT. I will check mine and need to find a plastic cap!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I keep tire plug and compressor on my cars that don't have spares. Also, aaa is cheap so I hv the 100 mi tow option

You should always check the foam stuff because they expire. They are used as last resort

Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I keep a can of spare tire in one of the oil pouches that Velcro to the carpet on the side of the trunk, but I keep an eye on the pressure and don't plan to ever use it.

ChuckJ

Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
TT, what cap did you use?

Thanks in advance..

Old 05-11-2013, 11:11 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
TT's MOD plus putting everything in two heavy duty ziplock freezer bags as additional safety barrier. All liquids (oil etc) in my frunk are double bagged and sealed. A friend also uses the heat sealed/vacuum food bags for his frunk liquids

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline