991 sound system comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
991 sound system comparison

I thought some of you would appreciate a bit more information on our sound system choices including the weight penalty of the base vs. the bose vs. the burmester. Enjoy:

Name:  991 sound system comparison.jpg
Views: 1806
Size:  153.1 KB

Base: 6.2 lbs.
Bose: 11.97 lbs.
Burm: 14.00 lbs

Sorry for the shrink size picture, I'm not sure why this is occuring.

Last edited by handfull; 05-09-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Thanks. Not an expert, but looking at the specs, Bose seems to be the best sound value for money (well, the PSE really is, but it is another story).

Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
The Bose is such a disappointment after hearing the difference between the base and the Burmester.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:03 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
[QUOTE=SM_ATL;3844136]Thanks. Not an expert, but looking at the specs, Bose seems to be the best sound value for money. [QUOTE]

Please let's not make this yet another one of those endless 'which radio is best' debates.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fantom
Please let's not make this yet another one of those endless 'which radio is best' debates.
Touché !

Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by handfull
I thought some of you would appreciate a bit more information on our sound system choices including the weight penalty of the base vs. the bose vs. the burmester. Enjoy:

Base: 6.2 lbs.
Bose: 11.97 lbs.
Burm: 14.00 lbs

Sorry for the shrink size picture, I'm not sure why this is occuring.
The very best music comes the SE, I always turn the radio down to listen to great sounds coming the SE particularly with the top down on the CAB

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
- The Bose subwoofer is 160W but car's chassis only attains 100 watts;
- The two Burmester dashboard mounted tweeters are AMT type (Air Motion Transformer);
- Also coil diameters are displayed in brakets;
- Magnet material everywhere is Nd.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
the Burnmester isnt worth the $5000+. Frankly I think the bottom end could have more punch and mid could have more clarity at higher volumes.

However I agree, the PSE is the best sound system in the car.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Either Base or Burmester ...that's it.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Lose a few pounds and get the Burmester. It's a wonderful sounding system. If you want to listen to hip hop, no, but if you like pop, rock, jazz, or classical, it's very very good. Price out an equivalent system from a Stereo shop, and you'll easily be looking at 5k.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fester
Either Base or Burmester ...that's it.
Agreed, but if it's the Base, include HD.

ChuckJ

Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
I would only spend the money for the Burmeister if I planned to sit in the garage frequently to listen to music. Road noise creates too much disturbance to the sound field to make it worth my while.

No doubt, it is a superior system, but it's a double-edged sword: it also raises the expectations of your listening ears and makes the sound field interference that much more noticeable.

It sure sounds great in the Showroom, though.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Totally agree with TTCarrera. Road noise is brutal in many parts of the US, in particular here in CA. It's negligible in Germany, where, at comparable effective tax rates, money is spent on infrastructure instead of the military

I would have gotten Burmester if I lived in Germany. Here not so much...

Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
I have also learned over a motorsports lifetime that there is an inverse relationship between how much you spend on your sound/theatre system in your home and what you expect out of your car's audio system.

There are very few components in my home system that cost less than one Burmeister system in a Porsche. So I find myself listening to News and sports in the car and very little music because it is so compromised.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with the Bose most of the time. It's very punchy and has decent clarity, etc.

However, the thing that I hate the most about it, and why I wish I sprung for the Burmeister is that the Bose goes to poop with the windows open. When you want to crank the music up loud, it sounds like a tinny no bass mess, like someone playing tweeters in your ear.

My last 2013 M3 had the Enhanced Premium sound. It didn't sound nearly as good or rich at low volumes, but when you cranked it up, it was highly amazing sounding. I was not fond of it when driving around with the windows up, when I had to be subtle. But, I loved it when I had the windows down, on a twisty road. The 991's Bose system falls majorly short in the same situation (although stuck in traffic with the windows up, I'm pretty impressed with the Bose.)