Porsche luggage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 AM
MikeDi is infamous around these parts
Porsche luggage

Hi
This is my first Porsche and first post. Has anyone purchased and used the custom luggage that is available for the 911? I want to order it but wanted opinions on which vendor and quality. Thanks.

Mike D.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:25 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
You can if you want the style, but standard airline carry on luggage fits perfectly.

ChuckJ

Old 05-10-2013, 06:28 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
First, congrats on the new ride. This is just my opinion, but the Porsche luggage is very expensive for what it is. The MFG is a German company and you can find their stuff on the web - you may or may not find the exact color to match your car. There was a thread a few months back where someone bought luggage custom made to fit the 991 which seems to make sense and it was not priced badly. You might want to look for that. I just went and purchased airline carry on rolling bags and found a brand that had handles on the front making it easier to drop the bag flat into the funk and stack two of them. This way I also knew I could get them on a plane. You can fit 3-4 such bags in the coupe.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 AM
MikeDi is infamous around these parts
Thanks. I agree. The Porsche bags are way over priced. I will try the carry-on suggestion. I actually never thought about that. The Cab does have less space so I will try a few and see which fits best.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
You can if you want the style, but standard airline carry on luggage fits perfectly.

ChuckJ
Congrats to the OP for the new ride (and the older one sitting next to it on the avatar pic!).

I travel a lot and the carry on luggage is the best fit and most practical option. I have a Samsonite w/2 wheels that exactly fills the bottom of the frunk and still have plenty of room for other stuff on top.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 AM
j080808 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MikeDi
Thanks. I agree. The Porsche bags are way over priced.
That's not true. Unlike most Porsche branded accessories that you overpay for (i.e. Ctek charger for double with the Porsche logo) the luggage is made by Rimowa and is very high-end. Check the prices on Zappos before you make assumptions.

I received a carry-on for free and it's simply the best piece of luggage I own. Now I know why people rave about good luggage like Tumi.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
For same size/functionality Tumi is ~$100/16% cheaper than Porsche (trolley case). Samsonite 50% cheaper. No need to get into an argument about this. Choice of luggage is driven by what you do with it and how often/how you travel. Just sayin'

Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MikeDi
Thanks. I agree. The Porsche bags are way over priced. I will try the carry-on suggestion. I actually never thought about that. The Cab does have less space so I will try a few and see which fits best.
My last ride was a 997.2 Cab and the room issues are surprisingly similar. The Frunk is the same and can hold two max size carry ons. You can get at least one on the shelf from folding down the back seats and if you get the correct size, it will still fit under the wind screen. There is also room next to that bag on the shelf and room between the folded down shelf and the back seat. I was able to get three bags in the frunk and the shelf, a back pack next to it, a camara bag between one shelf and the back seat and two non-winter jackets in the space between the other shelf and seat. Very comfortable for two people to go away for a week.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
For same size/functionality Tumi is ~$100/16% cheaper than Porsche (trolley case). Samsonite 50% cheaper. No need to get into an argument about this. Choice of luggage is driven by what you do with it and how often/how you travel. Just sayin'
I am also a big fan of TUMI. Just purchased a Briggs & Riely (second name spelled wrong I am sure) carry on and it was terrific - interesting compression system that reduces wrinkles. I have an inherent problem with Samsonite - I had an old plastic brief case that I hated - not their fault, I just did not like it - but it was indistructable. Their stuff is still often a very good value.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM
deeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nice
Originally Posted by j080808

That's not true. Unlike most Porsche branded accessories that you overpay for (i.e. Ctek charger for double with the Porsche logo) the luggage is made by Rimowa and is very high-end. Check the prices on Zappos before you make assumptions.

I received a carry-on for free and it's simply the best piece of luggage I own. Now I know why people rave about good luggage like Tumi.
The rimowa porsche luggage pieces are very expensive but very nice. In fact you can get a discount off retail at suncoast. It is very difficult to find current rimowa luggage at anything less than retail. So in fact, believe it or not the porsche luggage is actually a good way to get rimowa below retail!!

I have the large trunk with four wheels and it fits perfectly in the frunk and offers a ton of storage, albeit at a significant cost!

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...S_Interiormats

Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I have several of the Porsche Rimowa carry ons. I can get two in the Frunk and if need be more luggage under the rear windscreen on both my Cabs. Have used extensively in Germany in 911's (both 997 and 991) also.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Rimowa is great and worth the money. However, if you don't travel all the time, any other carry-on should work. I can confirm for the 24" EXO Hardside Spinners, two of which fit in the frunk, leaving a bit of space on top for smaller bags.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 PM
White991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really niceWhite991 is just really nice
Originally Posted by chancludo
Rimowa is great and worth the money. However, if you don't travel all the time, any other carry-on should work. I can confirm for the 24" EXO Hardside Spinners, two of which fit in the frunk, leaving a bit of space on top for smaller bags.
I travel at least 100k miles a year and I agree with your Rimowa statement. It's flashy, but its a great product and worth the money. I can pack a 7 days worldwide trip in just a carry on Rimowa. It's amazing how much stuff you can pack inside. I usually pack along several sets of running attire and running shoes too.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by White991

I travel at least 100k miles a year and I agree with your Rimowa statement. It's flashy, but its a great product and worth the money. I can pack a 7 days worldwide trip in just a carry on Rimowa. It's amazing how much stuff you can pack inside. I usually pack along several sets of running attire and running shoes too.
Like yourself I travel a lot 200-250k per year. I have tried the RIMOWA luggage and it just didn't work out for me. I have always returned to my old standby TUMI. I really like the look of the RIMOWA but, I had a piece stolen in Hong Kong and HK Air Police told me that RIMOWA luggage is a prime target of airport thieves. I work hard at keeping a low profile when I travel to far distant places. Main reason for this is I normally have quite high value photo equipment with me, which is never ever goes as checked luggage.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
In our recent trip to LA, my 30" samsonite fitted perfectly in the frunk...! It's amazing how practical this car this!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche luggage