Is Porsche's JD Powers' Rating Overrated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:11 AM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Is Porsche's JD Powers' Rating Overrated?

I've received (2) JD Powers' surveys on my 991 since I bought it. While I always try to answer these types of surveys as honestly as possible, something strange happens when I fill one out for Porsche.

In a weird sort of way, I find myself over-looking a few minor issues and giving top rating for a particular item, where maybe if I was filling out a survey for my Tahoe, I might have chosen 1 or 2 box lower score. It's almost as if I'm so proud to be a Porsche owner that I don't want to be the one to give it bad marks. In the end, it's a perfect score for Porsche from me.

Am I alone here, or have you found yourself doing the same thing? If so, is it possible that our cars aren't as good as we say they are due to our unwavering pride we have in our cars? On the flip side, is that what a perfect car is and has Porsche found the holy grail - making their owners so happy that they gladly overlook some minor imperfections and/or inconveniences?

Just a thought......

Old 05-11-2013, 04:09 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
No - you are not alone my friend.
First of all these surveys come far too soon after the purchase. In my opinion doing anything during the honeymoon period negates all objectivity.

Perhaps our subconscious struggles to admit and succumb to the reality that our pride and joy is not perfect.
I struggled too, and in some strange way I may have thought I was devaluing my own asset. Not proud, but just being honest.

When I saw the results of their surveys, I was cynical based on my own responses.

These boards are far more accurate than any survey or article..

Old 05-11-2013, 05:03 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure I totally agree, but do agree with Dux in that the surveys do come too early. On the positive side, do agree that we will tend to give benefit of doubt and rate a box higher if not sure, due to Porsche pride and maybe justification for buying an exotic car at a high price. But I also think that if something went wrong, that we would sure want everyone to know about it after having paid the hefty price tag. I would think P-car owners are very critical and would voice their dislike. I know I would. As Dux said, the surveys come too early with not enough time to really test the car (especially with the break in period). I would not be a happy camper if I ran out of gas with the gauge reading 1/4 of a tank left, and would sure say so in any survey I got.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM
onapex is infamous around these parts
I forgot the term behavioral economists use, but basically if you've just paid $100k+ for a car, you think it's better. if you had paid $50K, you might have been more critical. they did studies w/ paintings. same paintings, different value attribution. the owners of paintings that were "worth" more thought their paintings looked better. exact same painting! your brain screwing w/ you. so yes, porsche's price, status, brand recognition, etc. all factor in. why do you think the tesla model s has been getting such great reviews?

Old 05-11-2013, 06:46 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Any good survey is weighted for such considerations. They also consider warranty claim considerations and I suspect that Porsche customers do not hesitate to complain if anything - no matter how small or insignificant - I confess that I do. I have had and have Hondas and Toyotas and I have lower build expectations for these cars and ignore small insignificant defects. Not so with my Porsche. If there is something amiss I'm all over it and they gladly fix it. For example the sunroof gaskets were uneven. Porsche replaced them

Given such high expectations by Porsche owners and their insistance on perfection, the rating appears to be earned

Last edited by rnl; 05-11-2013 at 06:48 AM.