Basalt Black or regular Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by stalker
on a black car, i highly rec that you get it opticoated asap. Its like adding a extra layer of clear to the car that is extremely durable. I use it on all my cars, and the stuff is amazing, really prevents scratches, swirls, and makes it much easier to clean.

My black c4s arrives at the end of the month, its going from the dealer straight to my detailer to have a layer of opticoat applied.

http://www.opti-coat.com

+++1

Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 PM
T.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by STALKER
On a black car, I highly rec that you get it Opticoated ASAP. Its like adding a extra layer of clear to the car that is extremely durable. I use it on all my cars, and the stuff is amazing, really prevents scratches, swirls, and makes it much easier to clean.

My black C4S arrives at the end of the month, its going from the dealer straight to my detailer to have a layer of Opticoat applied.

Totally agree here, I just did the same on my black 991.that came in last month. I did a full paint polish then opti coat all but the hood and front bumper.
Then I had the hood and bumper clear bra installed.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by T.O.
Totally agree here, I just did the same on my black 991.that came in last month. I did a full paint polish then opti coat all but the hood and front bumper.
Then I had the hood and bumper clear bra installed.
Thats exactly what I am going to do!!! I think Im going to clear bra everything in front of the doors though, and redo the rear fender clear film.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Basalt Black will look clean for 30 minutes and regular black will look clean for 15 minutes. I take the extra 15 minutes of cleanliness any day. I must be colorblind, basalt looks pretty black to me.

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2013, 12:36 AM
zumforward is infamous around these parts
I debated black vs. basalt for a while myself and decided on basalt. Flat black of course is pretty slick when clean, but it flattens the car's appearance IMO. It's also the most common choice, which can be good or bad depending on your priorities.

Side-by-side, up close, basalt is noticeably lighter, or hazier than black -- if you're using black as the ruler. But to appreciate it I think you have to lose the idea that they're 'competing'. It's something else entirely; a much more dynamic and nuanced color that reflects light from its surroundings. When clean, in direct light it has a sheen and pop like no other. Check out this video.

HTML Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315"  src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0rpGfgQesTg" frameborder="0"  allowfullscreen></iframe>
Objective concerns aside (upkeep, resale), I'd say if you're really looking for black, get black. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll find yourself looking at basalt like it isn't "black enough". If you like black cars, but want something with a little more intrigue (dare I say character), get basalt.

Hopefully this is helpful -- or hopeufully I've successfully possessed you with my bias? Haha not sure what the goal is here but I thought I'd share my opinion/reasoning.

Best wishes.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 AM
stef430 has a spectacular aura aboutstef430 has a spectacular aura about
Pure Black - all of my Porsches -except for my Carrera GT, which I spec'd in Basalt thinking it would be interesting and more manageable and and and - BOTTOM line - I did NOT order my 918 in basalt - .......

Old 05-17-2013, 04:39 PM
kkapoor is infamous around these parts
I faced the same dilemma when I ordered my 997.2.

I ended up going with the Basalt because of the nice metallic flakes in the paint. Also easier to keep clean.

Attached Images       
Old 05-18-2013, 01:58 AM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by STALKER
On a black car, I highly rec that you get it Opticoated ASAP. Its like adding a extra layer of clear to the car that is extremely durable. I use it on all my cars, and the stuff is amazing, really prevents scratches, swirls, and makes it much easier to clean.

My black C4S arrives at the end of the month, its going from the dealer straight to my detailer to have a layer of Opticoat applied.

This is really interesting stuff! does this have an impact on depth of color though? do you have to reapply it after a certain period of time?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:43 AM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
I have Basalt.

Haven't noticed a brown hue but I do see a bit a dark purple occasionally.

When next to a regular (clean) black car it does look considerably lighter.

I also like regular black but any marks would bother me too much.

If I had to do it over I would get the Agate Grey (with the red interior).

Old 05-18-2013, 07:01 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ///armin
This is really interesting stuff! does this have an impact on depth of color though? do you have to reapply it after a certain period of time?
Generally about 5 years or so, depends on how you use your car. If its left outside and you DD it, then you are looking a 3-4 years.

You still need to wash your car carefully and take care of the paint, but it really adds that extra layer of protection.

The depth is not going to be the same as a high quality wax, but its still very good. It really comes down to the prep work, your detailer has to make the paint perfect before applying Opticoat.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm gonna choose Basalt Black. I went to one of the dealers yesterday to compare them side by side, and yes, the Basalt does look lighter than the regular Black. However, the brand new black on the lot outside already had swirls. I like the regular Black slightly better, but I think the swirls would bug the heck out of me.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by frank69m

I know Basalt Black will show less swirls
I'm not sure that's correct. When I had my R8 in black pearlescent I had very visible swirls despite the fact that the paint had lots of reflective specks in it.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 PM
bluepr0 is infamous around these parts
Great! Apply Cquartz Finest and you are ready to go!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
I have three black cars. I've learned how to care for the color so the incidence of any swirls is really reduced to the bare minimum. I almost never touch the surface of the clear with a towel. I always dry the car after a deionized water rinse witha leaf blower. If I use any towel on the surface, it is a very fine microfiber towel. I'm not saying you wil never get a slight swirl or scratch, but there are so few which can easily be removed with a professional detail once a year.

Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lrattner
I have three black cars. I've learned how to care for the color so the incidence of any swirls is really reduced to the bare minimum. I almost never touch the surface of the clear with a towel. I always dry the car after a deionized water rinse witha leaf blower. If I use any towel on the surface, it is a very fine microfiber towel. I'm not saying you wil never get a slight swirl or scratch, but there are so few which can easily be removed with a professional detail once a year.
So if you just washed your car, and suddenly you get bird poop dropping, is this your opportunity to use a towel and a spray detailer rather than wash the entire car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Basalt Black or regular Black