Basalt Black or regular Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:03 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by frank69m
So if you just washed your car, and suddenly you get bird poop dropping, is this your opportunity to use a towel and a spray detailer rather than wash the entire car?
There is a technique for removing bird droppings without leaving swirl marks.

I also wouldn't recommend black to anyone if they plan on using the car as a daily driver: unless they're energetic and enjoy maintaining the finish.

Last edited by CarreraPete; 06-02-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CarreraPete
There is a technique for removing bird droppings without leaving swirl marks.
And do we know what this technique is?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
I would use some polymer In a small amount of deioized water. After it was saturated and removed, I would go over the area locally with a fine wax on a microfiber towel. I have such a good layer of sealant that usually I don't get deep penetration into the clear from the acid in the poop.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:08 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lrattner
I would use some polymer In a small amount of deioized water. After it was saturated and removed, I would go over the area locally with a fine wax on a microfiber towel. I have such a good layer of sealant that usually I don't get deep penetration into the clear from the acid in the poop.
Give the man a cigar!

Some also carry a bottle of club soda on board so they can attack the problem ASAP: shake bottle and spray directly onto the dropping: if the finish is sealed properly, the dropping should float right off.

And keep a dryer sheet handy for those stubborn bug guts.

Last edited by CarreraPete; 06-02-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-02-2013, 04:21 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks rattner and pete. I never heard of the club soda or dryer sheet tricks. Will have to give it a try. But won't carbonation hurt the paint?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:00 PM
baziturbo is infamous around these partsbaziturbo is infamous around these parts
Mine is black and it is a pain to keep it clean but to be honest with you, I wash it, blow dry it, use a microfiber and if I get swirls, which I do, I get swirls. will have it professionally detailed 1-2 times a year and its good as new.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 PM
kenny p is infamous around these parts
I heard it's not that the poop is so acidic it burns through clearcoat, but actually the temperature difference in the area when metal contracts/expands.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Thanks rattner and pete. I never heard of the club soda or dryer sheet tricks. Will have to give it a try. But won't carbonation hurt the paint?
Carbonation won't hurt, it's the waiting that hurts: you need to remove the dropping as soon as humanly possible.

You're killing me, PorscheCrazy, you sound more neurotic than I, but the real killer is that you own a WHITE car! Let me know if you want to trade cars; I have 1500 miles on mine.

Originally Posted by kenny p
I heard it's not that the poop is so acidic it burns through clearcoat, but actually the temperature difference in the area when metal contracts/expands.
It's actually a moot issue, because in either case it still boils down to "time." You need to remove the dropping as quickly as possible.

If for some reason you do get stuck with a problem case, you can use this method:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...a-Cut-Compound

The 105 is fantastic at removing blemishes and swirls, but you don't want to make a continuous habit out of this routine, as there is only a certain amount of clear-coat on the finish.

This is why it's important to use a professional sealant such as this:
Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant 16oz : Amazon.com : Automotive Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant 16oz : Amazon.com : Automotive

And if you park in a problem area on a regular basis, you can add extra protection by applying this over the Menzerna:
Amazon.com: 15oz. Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax: Automotive Amazon.com: 15oz. Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax: Automotive

Both products are EASY to apply by hand (easy to wipe on and off).

Check this out:

Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM
kenny p is infamous around these parts
Indeed it is a "moot issue". Time counts! Get the crap off as soon as ya spot it.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by CarreraPete

You're killing me, PorscheCrazy, you sound more neurotic than I, but the real killer is that you own a WHITE car! Let me know if you want to trade cars; I have 1500 miles on mine.

Thanks Pete. Have had black cars -- been there, done that. Cars look awesome in black - but only if you keep it clean. Know what you are going through. As for the trade, love the look of your car, but alas, too hard to maintain for me, even though you have less mileage. I have 3200.