Basalt Black or regular Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:39 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Basalt Black or regular Black

I've been debating this for weeks now.

I know Basalt Black will show less swirls, but the shine on the regular black is deeper and unbeatable when clean. You'd figure the Basalt Black metallic paint would be shiner, but who knows.

Any opinions on one vs. the other?

Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM
GoGoSA991 is infamous around these partsGoGoSA991 is infamous around these parts
"black is deeper and unbeatable" absolutely. But I still went with Basalt and love the versatility of color perception

Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
The clean look on the regular black will only last less than half a day after a wash. Basalt black differs under different lighting condition.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
This is a tough one... I decided to go with regular black because of the true black color and I noticed basalt has a slight brown hue. This is my personal opinion of course and after 3 weeks and washing it 5 times the swirls begin to appear but I am loving none the less. I have the car as my DD...

Will also get it polished once per year to reduce the swirls.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:22 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
I've had basalt black first and then got a black 997tt. Wish I would have gotten basalt again. Something about basalt looks cleaner and richer. Black looks great but the imperfections right after a wash was too noticeable to me.

I have white now though

Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by frank69m
I've been debating this for weeks now.

I know Basalt Black will show less swirls, but the shine on the regular black is deeper and unbeatable when clean. You'd figure the Basalt Black metallic paint would be shiner, but who knows.

Any opinions on one vs. the other?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...alt-black.html

Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Basalt is brown in direct sun, black is black.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:18 PM
bluepr0 is infamous around these parts
This is the main problem I see with the basalt black, that purple/Brown hue. Im also deciding which one I should Go for! http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-99...013/05/04#img1

Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by bluepr0
This is the main problem I see with the basalt black, that purple/Brown hue. Im also deciding which one I should Go for! http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-99...013/05/04#img1
Weird. Never seen it like that before.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
I went with regular black because I wanted black not a shade of black. I think I would have been less likely to do that if I hadn't learned over the years how to clean a black car so the "swirl" problem is minimized.
I've been using deionized water to wash with polymers and a leaf blower to dry (there's a lot more involved) and the difference is unbelievable in the endurance of the finish. I am a real glutton for punishment though, I have three black cars!

Last edited by lrattner; 06-02-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 AM
bluepr0 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by frank69m
Weird. Never seen it like that before.
You can see it in person too if the sun hits directly, however it's a bit more exaggerated in the photos than in real life!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:33 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bluepr0
You can see it in person too if the sun hits directly, however it's a bit more exaggerated in the photos than in real life!
Personally I think its the opposite, I see it in person, but not so much in photos.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
IMO I'd stay away from true black unless you're the energetic type who enjoys detailing a car.

True black can be kept looking beautiful, but it takes know-how and patience.

You can get an idea about the proper care here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ain-clean.html

Last edited by CarreraPete; 05-12-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add link
Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 AM
On a black car, I highly rec that you get it Opticoated ASAP. Its like adding a extra layer of clear to the car that is extremely durable. I use it on all my cars, and the stuff is amazing, really prevents scratches, swirls, and makes it much easier to clean.

My black C4S arrives at the end of the month, its going from the dealer straight to my detailer to have a layer of Opticoat applied.

http://www.opti-coat.com

Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Is the Basalt Black color the same as the Cayennes Jet Black Metallic?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Basalt Black or regular Black