Removing/wrapping the plastic door sill/scuff plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:31 PM
yxc145 is infamous around these parts
Removing/wrapping the plastic door sill/scuff plate

Hi All

My plastic door sill/scuff plate is starting to look very scuffed up. The carbon fiber aftermarket ones looks great, but are crazy expensive ($600+). I am thinking about wrapping them with Carbon fiber vinyl. Has anyone done this? Can you show me how to remove the plate and maybe some tips about wrapping the vinyl.

Thanks very much in advance.

By the way, I have already seen a link that shows how to remove the 997 version. 991 is different.

Last edited by yxc145; 05-17-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Jadoca is infamous around these parts
I think it was here or rennlist that had a post on how to remove and refinish so it looked like new. If I recall it was cheap and easy to do. I thought it was the 991 but could be wrong.

Regards,

Last edited by Jadoca; 05-17-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jadoca
I think it was here or rennlist that had a post on how to remove and refinish so it looked like new. If I recall it was cheap and easy to do. I thought it was the 991 but could be wrong.

Regards,
I know which thread you are talking about. It is for 997. 991 is completely different. I was just at the dealer asking one of the tech about it. He pull the manual on the computer. Apparently, you just pull it up. It is only held by some clips. Also there is no cable connected the frunk and engine cover release. Everything is remote electronic signal now. Which will make it much easier. I shall post some pictures when I start the process.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yxc145
I know which thread you are talking about. It is for 997. 991 is completely different. I was just at the dealer asking one of the tech about it. He pull the manual on the computer. Apparently, you just pull it up. It is only held by some clips. Also there is no cable connected the frunk and engine cover release. Everything is remote electronic signal now. Which will make it much easier. I shall post some pictures when I start the process.
Sounds good; thanks for sharing.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:23 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yxc145
FYI below on the install of the plate you are talking about:
http://www.macarbon.com/install_guid...stallation.pdf

Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by DBYT
FYI below on the install of the plate you are talking about:
http://www.macarbon.com/install_guid...stallation.pdf
Fantastic!! thank you very much!! Waiting for the Carbon Fiber vinyl to arrive. Can't wait to start on this project. I am also wrapping the two plastic panels in the seat areas as well.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Ok, finally got my Carbon Fiber vinyl yesterday. I must say USPS sucks! It arrived 5 days later than estimated date. Anyway, I picked up a heat gun from Home depot ($22). The vinyl is $16 for 24"x60". Total $38 and 45 minutes of labor. I started on this project last night. It was my first time doing it. It isn't perfect, but I think it looks ok and will do for now. If it starts to peel or get scratched up, I will just re-wrap it. Here are some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0494.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	245918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0495.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	245919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0502.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	245921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0504.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	245922  
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2013, 02:12 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't look too bad at all. How difficult or easy was it to remove and put back it. Did it just pop out/in? Any wires to disconnect? Thanks.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Doesn't look too bad at all. How difficult or easy was it to remove and put back it. Did it just pop out/in? Any wires to disconnect? Thanks.
Very simple, surprisingly. Just pull it up. When finished, pop it in. one driver side, there is a harness connecting to the buttons. Same thing. Pull it right out.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:00 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Hard to tell from the pic: did you got for the classic 3M Dinoc film or the new glossy version?

Old 05-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Hard to tell from the pic: did you got for the classic 3M Dinoc film or the new glossy version?
i bought a 3D CF vinyl from Metro restlying. it is a lot cheaper. but quality is good

Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
hmm I may try this! I already have the CF stuff.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by chance6
hmm I may try this! I already have the CF stuff.
yeah, it is a cheaper alternative than the real CF kit online.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job. Looks great and thanks for the info.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Gene G
Nice job. Looks great and thanks for the info.
Thank you very much. you are welcome.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing/wrapping the plastic door sill/scuff plate