2013 Epic Road Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Brooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really nice
What a great idea! So jealous. Have fun and keep us posted!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 AM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Day 2

What a great driving day. We left Robbinsville and did a little hiking at the Joyce Kilmer park, which has some old growth, massive trees. Pretty impressive site. Got back behind the wheel and headed to Deal's Gap. It was Monday and I'm not sure what I expected, but i thought it was crowded. We lived in Asheville for a couple of years and I'm an avid motorcyclist, so I've been there a bunch of times and was surprised at the traffic for a Monday. I guess it's that time of year !

Lynn and I in front of the "Tree of Shame".

Deal's Gap Resort.

The famous Dragon.

We got stuck behind a parade of Harleys and the trip North was rather mundane. In fact, the "leader" of said parade was a middle aged couple, each on their own bike, and the lady dumped hers pulling out of the resort. They had a 5 minute head start on us and we caught them in just a couple of miles. Never once used one of the many pull-offs to let traffic thru.

About 3/4 of the way thru, I whipped it around and had about 5 miles of open road. I put our car and us thru our paces and we had a blast, albeit at the expense of slight car-sickness ! We then took RT 28 following Fontana Lake, thru Bryson City and on to Cherokee. Here's Lynn working the paddles!

We hopped on the BRP and I've said it many times and will again, one of the best driving roads in the country. We'll ride it north all the way to the end, or start!

Typical view on the BRP, along with 1,000s of nice curves.

We decided to park it in Little Switzerland and stayed at the Inn. 300 or so miles and a great overall day. Weather was perfect and top down for 90% of the time. The other 10%, the big guy upstairs decided to power wash our car!

View from our room.

Today we continue north on the BRP!

Attached Images          
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Great Pics Steve. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM
kes7u is infamous around these parts
Looks like a great time! Thank you letting us share!
Kevin

Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Brooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really nice
Nice pictures! Keep us posted! Looks like so much fun.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 PM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Day 3, 4 & 5.

Not much to report as we spent more time driving and having fun than taking pictures. Here's what we have.

Day 3 - Little Switzerland, NC to Roanoke, VA.
We decided to stop in Roanoke for the night, with the main goal of having a fine steak at Frankie Rowland's. We stayed on the BRP the entire time. Great road and even better scenery. Travel is a bit slow, at an average of 40mph or so. But the overal quality of the road more than makes up for the lack of pace.

A couple of pictures of us going over the Linville Viaduct.

Looking back at the Viaduct.

More scenery from the BRP. Seiously, if you've never been on it, you're missing out big time.

Day 4 - Roanoke, Va to Gettysburg, PA.

We rode the BRP to the northern end. From there, we got on 64W, to 81N and slabbed it to Gettysburg.

Here we are leaving Roanoke. Two happy dorks!

We encoutered some construction about 10 miles before the end and did a little mud bogging!

Stopped at Rowe's for lunch. Rowe's is in Staunton, VA, basically at the intersection of I64 & I81. A must if you're ever in the area.

Steed patiently waiting outside for us.

Day 5 - Gettysburg National Park.
Took too many pictures and wouldn't know what to post. We did the Segway tour and had a blast. I can't imagine a better way to tour the park. Regardless of your backgroung, political leaning, location related to the Mason-Dixon line, philosophical opinion or whatever, it is very humbling to be on the very ground where 1,000s of Americans fought for their cause and lost their lives.

On to Richmond, VA tomorrow for a week-end with our extended families.

Attached Images         
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Great trip pics!

ps- If you are anywhere near the DC area on Saturday stop in at the village of Great Falls VA for cars n coffee (7-9 am)- and take in Great Falls National Park just down the road.