2013 Epic Road Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
2013 Epic Road Trip

Wife and I are leaving in the am for a good ol' fashion road trip for 12 days. Our goal is to stay off the slab and burn up the back roads to see America, with a focus on visiting Civil War battlefields and other important sites and family. Our itinerary is as follows;

Day 1 - Sunday 5/19 Memphis to Robbinsville, NC.
DAY 2 - Monday 5/20Robbinsville to Little Switzerland, NC.
Day 3 - Tuesday 5/21 Little Switzerland to ??? TBD.
Day 4 - Wednesday 5/22 TBD to Gettysburg, PA.
Day 5 - Thursday 5/23 Gettysburg - tour battlefields.
Day 6 - Friday 5/24 Gettysburg to Richmond, VA.
Day 7 - Saturday 5/25 Richmond - visit family and friends.
Day 8 - Sunday 5/26 Richmond to Meadows of Dan, VA.
Day 9 & 10 - Monday & Tuesday - hang out at Primland Resort fly fishing and golfing.
Day 11 - Wednesday 5/29 - Meadows of Dan to Asheville, NC.
Day 12 - Thursday 5/30 - Asheville to Memphis

We're going to document our trip, with loads of pictures, so come along with us. Sorry if this is a little corny, but what the hell! Here's our chariot, ready to go.

This post is really for testing our iPad and mobile posting. Here we go!

Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2013, 06:16 PM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Oops, picture loaded twice? I'm using the app for both the forum and Photobucket. IMG link was only there once. Anybody have a clue why?

Old 05-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Love these types of posts! Drive safe Steve! Safe travels!

Edwin

Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Can't wait to see the pics/storyline !

Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
Go to Appomattox Too

Looks like you guys are civil war buffs. You may want to consider a slight detour to Appomattox where Lee surrendered to Grant. It's sort of in the middle between Richmond and Meadow of Dan. My wife and I live about 30 minutes from Appomattox. Let me know if you decide to go there. I can show you some awesome back roads that I drive in my 991 C4S.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks

Originally Posted by SergePorsche
Looks like you guys are civil war buffs. You may want to consider a slight detour to Appomattox where Lee surrendered to Grant. It's sort of in the middle between Richmond and Meadow of Dan. My wife and I live about 30 minutes from Appomattox. Let me know if you decide to go there. I can show you some awesome back roads that I drive in my 991 C4S.
We'll be there for sure. While wer're overnighting in Gettysburg only, we plan on hitting as many sites on our route, such as Fredericksburg, Richmond, Appomattox, etc, etc. My wife is from Powhatan, VA.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:14 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
State Route 501 North Toward Natural Bridge

If you can, take State Route 501 North, heading from Lynchburg to Natural Bridge (see attached map). In my opinion, this stretch of road contains the most amazing curves in all of Virginia. It's very scenic, and follows the James River. It's like it was designed exclusively for the 991.

Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2013, 01:46 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
This sounds awesome !!!

Old 05-19-2013, 04:18 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Safe and happy travels!
I look forward to your trip updates.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a great trip. Where are you staying in Asheville? The Grand Bohemian http://www.bohemianhotelasheville.com/ would be a good choice. For dinner try "The ADMIRAL", http://theadmiralnc.com/ most likely your wife will refuse to go in by looking at the outside, but the food is among the best in Asheville, actually one of the most difficult tables to get for dinner . Look forward to your trip report. Enjoin the drive.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
I'm getting my popcorn!
Long road trips are always fun to read about and do. Have fun, get some good pics, and grab some better memories

Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Great guess?

Originally Posted by windboat
Sounds like a great trip. Where are you staying in Asheville? The Grand Bohemian http://www.bohemianhotelasheville.com/ would be a good choice. For dinner try "The ADMIRAL", http://theadmiralnc.com/ most likely your wife will refuse to go in by looking at the outside, but the food is among the best in Asheville, actually one of the most difficult tables to get for dinner . Look forward to your trip report. Enjoin the drive.

That's where we're staying........burning some Marriott points ! Never heard of the restaurant, where is it? We lived in Asheville for a couple of years in the late '90s, so we're somewhat familiar with the city.

Just clicked on the link, thanks.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM
First day was uneventful. We took highway 72 east to Chattanooga and snaked our way to Robbinsville via Cherohala Skyway. Weather was beautiful and top down until we reached Chattanooga. We hit storms and persistent rain until we reached our destination.

Car is ready to go.
[ATTACH]244255[/ATTACH

So are Lynn and I.
Name:  image-1193644329.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  576.2 KB

Rocketing thru Huntsville.
Name:  image-1589966904.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  271.9 KB

Turned over 5,000 miles just before reaching Chattanooga.
Name:  image-1413291089.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  334.8 KB

Despite the rain, this short stretch of paved ribbon is quite tasty.
Name:  image-1840077448.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  572.9 KB

This creative mailbox ornament is just east of Robbinsville. Nice tribute to The Dragon!
Name:  image-374810972.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  642.5 KB

We're staying at the Blue Waters Mountain Lodge. Great place and it's all ours tonight. We're the only folks here.
Name:  image-2910309997.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  631.8 KB
Name:  image-907335227.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  633.5 KB
Name:  image-4129976936.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  561.0 KB

Scary critter. The hog is pretty bad also !
Name:  image-1399605869.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  510.3 KB

More to come tomorrow.

Attached Images    

Last edited by I'mAllIn; 05-19-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by I'mAllIn

That's where we're staying........burning some Marriott points ! Never heard of the restaurant, where is it? We lived in Asheville for a couple of years in the late '90s, so we're somewhat familiar with the city.

Just clicked on the link, thanks.
Love those Marriott points, , we are in Rome, Italy this week at the BOSCOLO PALACE another Marriott Autograph hotel. Another good place in Asheville is "The Window".

Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Love these posts. Thank you for taking us along and look forward to many more pictures. Safe travels and many sunny days to come your way. That mail box is awesome

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 Epic Road Trip