Curious Loaner Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:04 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Curious Loaner Experience

My 991 has been in the shop for the past week (dealer not happy with the results of a repair/painting to wheel). They provided me with a 2013 Agate Grey Panamera 4.

I drove the car around last week and traveled to my daughter's graduate school graduation over the weekend. During the 600 miles or so I noticed that really curious reactions from others considerably different that I receive from the 991. Lots of waves, smiles and thumbs up. I get stopped in parking lots and told what a beautiful car I have. The compliments and reactions are from a completely over lapping and different populations than the 991. The 991 garners reactions from men, young and middle aged. Women and men of all ages commented about this Panamera. Even the hotel valet (yes, I allowed a valet to drive it for one simple reason..it's not mine) commented.

It does not seem to have an a**hole magnet as I wasn't tailgated or zoomed.

I don't get it. It's ugly. However, it does drive well and tracks well. ..but it is boring.

Last edited by rnl; 05-19-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM
carsrmyvice is infamous around these partscarsrmyvice is infamous around these parts
just be happy you are getting a porsche. My dealer shoves me into a toyota.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
I drove one of the Hybrid Pannys when my car was in the shop. It felt...huge. And too plush. And it was absurdly quiet.

It is definitely made for a different demographic than the 911

Old 05-19-2013, 07:32 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
It is funny, took my car into a dealer (not mine) to have a rear-view camera installed. I also was given a Panamera 4 as a loaner. I rather liked it. Even though it was a 6 cylinder engine, I was impressed with it pick-up. I understand it is a more controversial design than an A6 or 5 series, but like it.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Its very true, i experienced the same.

While I had my 991 4S at premier films for clear bra film install, since I went thru the dealer, the workshop manager got me 2013 Panamera S Hybrid. It was in blue with beige/creme interior.

I got overwhelming compliments on the car...parking at the office parking lot alone, almost everyone complimented. I'm completely with you on the experience-it's was somewhat boring car but man does it grab attention!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:39 PM
disden is infamous around these parts
As someone who drives a Pan GTS daily I constantly am bombarded by people at gas stations or stores who want to look at or talk to me about my car; more so then my 991 Cab. In person the panamera is truly an impressive looking vehicle, if optioned out right. It's low and large, better looking in person then in pics. Also, they don't sell a lot of them so it's still rare to see one, hence the reactions. 911s have looked the same for 50 years, people are used to them in their various forms by now.

Also, don't knock the panamera driving experience, get behind the wheel of a gts or turbo, you won't be disappointed.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:30 PM
jkonva is infamous around these parts
The Panamera GTS is a different beast entirely. True, it's not a 911, but it seats four and has a trunk.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Had our 991 in for the first service and they gave us a Cayenne S as a loaner. Nice car but not a 911.

Last edited by Gene G; 05-20-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 AM
disden is infamous around these parts
I have had all sorts of loaners over the years from dealer. The worst was a Dodge Minivan when they were really busy. it was kind of annoying to drop off a new 991 for a recall and get handed the keys to a minivan. however, to their credit they offered to swap it out for a Pcar the next day. Most recent was a Panamera 4; ok car for highway driving, but night and day difference from my GTS.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
All you need to do is look how Hollywood portrays Porsche 911 owners and you quickly realize why the 911 is an icon to some (us), but an object of derision (and jealousy) to many others (them). The panny does not suffer the same fate.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Alan
All you need to do is look how Hollywood portrays Porsche 911 owners and you quickly realize why the 911 is an icon to some (us), but an object of derision (and jealousy) to many others (them). The panny does not suffer the same fate.

Ha, ha, I see your point:

Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jkonva
The Panamera GTS is a different beast entirely. True, it's not a 911, but it seats four and has a trunk.
Lol so do elephants !

Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 AM
tipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gene G
Had our 991 in for the first service and they gave us a Cayenne S as a loaner. Nice car but not a 911.
im gonna ask you what i ask others when they say "nice but its not a X", were you expecting it to be a 911?

did you look at the cayenne and go, this is like a 911?

im confused as to your need to make the comparison of an SUV with a 911.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
The 911 elicits the strangest reactions - the majority not being too favorable.
Doesn't matter if it's 30 years old or 30 days.

You're typically boxed into other peoples' predisposed conceptions, and this does NOT happen with most other Porsche models. (Perhaps the new Cayman will suffer this fate too).
Strangely if you turn up in a MB CL65 AMG @ $213,000, you wouldn't get a second look or half the grief.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gene G
I had the same experience. For an SUV it's ok, but I asked them for a 911 or a Cayman and unfortunately they didn't have one.

ChuckJ