2012 991 demo leftover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM
taxdr1965 is infamous around these parts
2012 991 demo leftover

Any thoughts on buying a leftover demo 2012 991S Cab. MSRP 130k, I can get it for 100k but has 6000 miles on it, but comes with full brand new car warranty, this is from a Porsche dealer. I believe it was the intro car. I heard the brand new 991 had some bugs

Old 05-24-2013, 01:59 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I would not do it. You just have to read the accounts of loaner abuse "
- driven like they are stolen - to be convinced.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:08 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
rnl is right. I know how I drive a loaner. No bad intention but it is always an opportunity to find out how good a car can be....
I have had a 2012 and now have a 2013 and the fit and finish is (a bit) improved. There have been a few recalls for the 2012 991 already (incl. one to be done by a body shop for a main front seal if I remember well), so this is also something you want to check.

Overall, you may find better deals for a 2012 991 that will be CPO'd and will have been driven by only one owner.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:54 PM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
It's now a used car and should be treated as such. The blue book value of that car is $90K tops given what it's been through. Don't do it.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:56 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Loaner story:

i brought back a 2013 Panamera 4 loaner...I drove it 800 miles and after the first 100 miles the add oil light lit....i added (and paid for) 1 quart 0w-40 mobil 1...told the service manager today what happened..he said "you didn't have to do that, it would have been fine".......

I would be tempted for $70000...just above cayman s price....

Last edited by rnl; 05-24-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:17 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
My car is a 2012 991 dealer demo, but I bought the car at 88 miles. It's actually been completely trouble free with only one shop visit for the early service bulletins, and Porsche extended my new car warranty an extra 12 months up to 100,000 miles.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
The problem with a demo car is that ALL of those 6000 miles were likely driven hard on a cold engine.

If you want a deal on a 911, wait until the current 2013s go on fire sale late summer / early fall when the 2014s hit the lots. I got 15% off at that time last year. Porsche brings out some trunk money to move inventory. You will get a car with very low mileage for a steal.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by certified_prime
The problem with a demo car is that ALL of those 6000 miles were likely driven hard on a cold engine.

If you want a deal on a 911, wait until the current 2013s go on fire sale late summer / early fall when the 2014s hit the lots. I got 15% off at that time last year. Porsche brings out some trunk money to move inventory. You will get a car with very low mileage for a steal.
I agree. Even the demo rides first by the saleman b4 prospective buyer drives is very hard and way too aggressive while engine is cold. At least it is that way when I test drive a new car with the saleman.

That said, if only keeping while under warranty it may be OK.

Last edited by mto; 05-24-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
There are some "demo" cars which are actually driven by sales managers or dealership owners for many of those miles . Yet there are others which have been stomped on by test drives .

Plus many of the 2012 cars did have a few recalls .. worth noting .
Plus 2014 is in sight . They must be desperate to sell that car .

Conclusion -- If it looks to good to be true . it probably isn't.
I'd pass.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Remember they can't sell a car with outstanding recalls. That is just asking for a lawsuit.

The car is used, so get a used price for it. They should come down quite a bit from their original offer.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 PM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
I think the feel of the electronic steering is much better on the 2013.

Test drive a new one and see if you agree.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 PM
disden is infamous around these parts
If they CPO the car then who cares, any issues will be covered.. If that's how you can get one at your price point then go for it. Even 15% off still won't get you down to that price; plus the CPO gives extra miles and time of care free driving. My guess is they will throw in the CPO certification to get the deal done.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
If you can sell it for more than you paid for it, buy it. Otherwise understand that although you are getting a lot off, it's probably been an abused child you're adopting.

ChuckJ

Old 05-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Taxdr19651 is infamous around these parts
This car is being sold as a new car by the porsche dealer, not used. Is there anyway I can find out if it has been abused. Do you think hard test drives really damage the car. It was not a loaner car.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 AM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Taxdr19651
This car is being sold as a new car by the porsche dealer, not used. Is there anyway I can find out if it has been abused. Do you think hard test drives really damage the car. It was not a loaner car.
The car is fine, a porsche is built to take a beating. The problem is being sold as new and the price, at $100K you immediately lose $10K when you drive it off the lot. It's a used car at this point. However, If you must have it, offer $80K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 991 demo leftover