Spoiler Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Does the spoiler up button light up for you guys when it goes up automatically? I can't remember how mine is but I think the light only turns on if the button is pushed?
Lights only on manual.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:02 PM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
I had two GT3's and the fixed spoiler looked great. I really don't like the look of the 991 spoiler but if it serves a purpose at higher speed, I like that.
One of the nicest Porsche spoilers is on the GT2/GT2RS.
With all that said, why is it necessary for Porsche to develop cars that need such overt spoilers when Ferrari can accomplish adequate down force without them?. You would think they could design a body with down force integration that is achieved in the design.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by lrattner
With all that said, why is it necessary for Porsche to develop cars that need such overt spoilers when Ferrari can accomplish adequate down force without them?. You would think they could design a body with down force integration that is achieved in the design.
  1. The integrated spoiler is not overt. It's covert, unless the owner feels the need to drive around town with it up. Frankly, I think the 991's spoiler integration is the most tasteful ever.
  2. Ferraris don't have a center of gravity at or near the rear axle. With significant amounts of air flowing under the car, the back end of any 911 variant will break away in an aggressive turn much easier than a front or mid engine car, due to its polar moment of inertia behind the rear axle. At speed, additional downforce is necessary to keep the rear wheels in fully-weighted contact with the pavement in order to make it harder for the back end of the car to exit the turn before the front end (in other words, in the ditch backwards).
You could always pull the fuse so the spoiler doesn't deploy if you don't like the looks. But maybe not the smartest thing to do.

Last edited by TTCarrera; 05-27-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 PM
rnp614 is infamous around these parts
ah, is that what people who install fixed wings do?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
  1. The integrated spoiler is not overt. It's covert, unless the owner feels the need to drive around town with it up. Frankly, I think the 991's spoiler integration is the most tasteful ever.
  2. Ferraris don't have a center of gravity at or near the rear axle. With significant amounts of air flowing under the car, the back end of any 911 variant will break away in an aggressive turn much easier than a front engine car, due to its polar moment of inertia. At speed, additional downforce is necessary to keep the rear wheels in fully-weighted contact with the pavement in order to make it harder for the back end of the car to exit the turn before the front end.
You could always pull the fuse so the spoiler doesn't deploy if you don't like the looks.
The Veyron has a spoiler - you just never see because it does not go up until 130+.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Spoiler down .. UNLESS .. it's an aerokit !!!!

I shamlessly borrowed this photo browsing another forum to show you exactly what I feel is the ultimate beauty of a spoiler up 991 .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	715515d1364435192-techart-build-finally-complete-for-my-991s-3.jpg
Views:	2645
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	246281  
Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 PM
rnp614 is infamous around these parts
Except the above is a techart. The stock aero kit is an awful afterthought. Looks like trash. A wing on top of a duck tail? Idiotic.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnp614
Except the above is a techart. The stock aero kit is an awful afterthought. Looks like trash. A wing on top of a duck tail? Idiotic.
I agree . The ducktail in my opinion is a classic and the 991 is modern . Placing the two together mis matches .

I have a Techart type 1 on my Turbo but had not liked the 997 NA Techart offerings but this 991 kit is amazing !!!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnp614
That's a pretty strong opinion
I was not convinced either, then I saw what would become my new car at the dealership an loved it a lot more.

Here's a pic with two other 991 buddies (as you will have understood, they have the two black 991 with the spoilers deployed and I have the red one). Pic was taken during a track day at Barber.

Enough thread jacking from my side, let's get back to the OP question...

Attached Images   
Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
If you're interested in impressing others, letting the spoiler deploy automatically is probably the best option. It's just cooler to see the spoiler deploy on the car as it's passing you through 75mph (if you happen to be looking right at that instant). For me, I decided to go with the fixed spoiler.

On the other hand, I ended up following a McLaren MP4 around the track at Laguna Seca last year. At first, it was pretty cool to see the spoiler deploy at every braking zone. After a lap, it got a bit annoying and I just had to pass them .

Old 05-28-2013, 08:31 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
That's a pretty strong opinion

Here's a pic with two other 991 buddies (as you will have understood, they have the two black 991 with the spoilers deployed and I have the red one). Pic was taken during a track day at Barber.

Enough thread jacking from my side, let's get back to the OP question...
Well there ya go. It all depends on what color the car is.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Had to edit this because it was a reply and the reply does not show.

- "same can be said about cayman drivers" re: being Sportscar wannabes.

]I agree, but once again by people who prefer to pose than drive.

I'm in no way suggesting 911's are for posers.

Last edited by black penguin; 05-28-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Well there ya go. It all depends on what color the car is.
...And the spoiler.

ChuckJ

Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
I prefer the look of the spoiler in the raised position but in order to keep it raised you need to hit the button every time you start the car ... that makes it a pain in the neck.

Too bad there is no way to program the car to keep the spoiler up for those times you want it.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ArashApollo
I like to have it halfway up (if you press the spoiler button, then hold it). I think it looks best when the spoiler is almost parallel to the ground.
I like it slightly lower than parallel so you can't see the ugly plastic and hinges underneath.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Up