Spoiler Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
Spoiler Up

So, how much of a douch* am I if I drive around with the retractable spoiler up?

I must say...I'm not a fan of spoilers / fixed wings in general. I like clean lines. I think the Ferrari F40 would be one of the most gorgeous cars ever if they deleted the big wing on the back.

But I kind of like the look of the retractable spoiler deployed. It just adds a little bit of aggressiveness to the 911.

[secretly guilty, but enjoying every moment]

Old 05-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by certified_prime
So, how much of a douch* am I if I drive around with the retractable spoiler up?

I must say...I'm not a fan of spoilers / fixed wings in general. I like clean lines. I think the Ferrari F40 would be one of the most gorgeous cars ever if they deleted the big wing on the back.

But I kind of like the look of the retractable spoiler deployed. It just adds a little bit of aggressiveness to the 911.

It is whatever you like.

I prefer to leave the thing on auto with my cars. I do not know how it works with the newer models but with my 996 Turbo the spoiler up means the hydraulics are under pressure. I feel it is a bit easier on the hydraulics to leave the thing down unless the vehicle speed triggers it to rise.

While I don't track there's an argument to be made for raising the spoiler manually and leaving it up until afterwards.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:01 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light

I kind of agree and am also guilty. My wife has a 13 Boxter and she leaves her's up.

Last edited by tx11; 05-24-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 PM
ArashApollo is infamous around these partsArashApollo is infamous around these parts
I like to have it halfway up (if you press the spoiler button, then hold it). I think it looks best when the spoiler is almost parallel to the ground.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
proper protocol is to leave it on auto. not cool to have it up manually when driving 35 around town..

Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
I like how it looks too.

Although I do remember the latest review of a C4S in the snow, the reviewer said it was a faux pas as well.

I still like it up. Reminds me of a happy puppy.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 PM
disden is infamous around these parts
I don't put spoiler up on my 991. However, on my Panamera GTS I always leave the rear spoiler up; I think it makes the rear of the car look better.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
If the car looked better with the spoiler up all the time, Porsche would have designed the car with a fixed spoiler (that's a lot cheaper than building one that works dynamically). The default is for the spoiler to be retracted because the car really doesn't look very good when the spoiler is fully deployed at an angle that is not parallel to the ground. Just my opinion of course. In the end, it's your car so if you feel like driving it with the sun roof open in the rain, nobody has the right to tell you you shouldn't.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Let it do its thing on auto. IMHO. I really don't care for the thing deployed unless needed.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Mr.Boon is infamous around these parts
Spoiler up, you are this guy:

------------------

Spoiler down, you are this guy:

Na all joking aside, IMO do it whenever. Personally I prefer the look of the car with the spoiler down, so invisible. Let it come up when it's useful, when it happens automatically

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxley_Tate_Mason.jpg
Views:	2860
Size:	904.2 KB
ID:	245875  
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr.Boon
Spoiler up, you are this guy:

------------------

Spoiler down, you are this guy:

Na all joking aside, IMO do it whenever. Personally I prefer the look of the car with the spoiler down, so invisible. Let it come up when it's useful, when it happens automatically
Funny . . .

Old 05-25-2013, 03:56 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
According to the manual, it depends on where you are and who you are with.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:31 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Prefer the spoiler down as I like the clean look. I use the up/down switch (whose console position sucks) more times to lower the spoiler than to raise it when the thing is raised automatically in non spirited driving conditions.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:17 AM
97c2s993 is infamous around these parts
I don't know and to each his own...fixed wings and spoilers are ok.
But to me the retractable spoiler looks, well...retractable...hence temporary and functional ONLY when needed, which is what I love about these and Porsche for integrating them into the normally clean flowing line of the car (when not needed). Sure not everyone who sees a 911 moving around town at 35mph with the spoiler up knows that someone purposely pushed a button to show it off...but there are many who do, even non 911 owners. I personally think it looks ridiculous (in such instances). If I wanted the spoiler up I would have ordered a fixed wing or ducktail.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
I just manually raise mine when I drive by a high school.

Kidding.

Do what you want. When you reach a point where the only one you need to impress is yourself, you'll probably just leave it down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Up