Tested a gloss and paint sealant - Wow! (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
I did clay bar the car before i put in on. Clay bar treatment was much less work then I imagined.
Thanks DS. All good info.

I'm going to have a look at some of their other products as well so any info and advice is much appreciated.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:00 PM
carcam is infamous around these parts
Car looks great, Haku and thanks for the tips. I have a clear film on the front half of my car and got the recommended sealant specifically for it. Your car couldn't look any better

Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
I find all of this confusing. Taking a clay bar, or any product with grit, to a new car clear coat seems like the last thing you would ever want to do. You put sealer over wax. Others suggested wax last. And I have been to a detailer who put on a sealer for wax. Too many products, too much conflicting information. I am fine with everyone having their own favorites as to products. Shouldn't there be only one correct order or protocol? And shouldn't there be an agreed to type of product that should be used at a certain time in the cleaning/protection/shine cycle?

What I am not at all confused about is haw fabulous your beauty looks in those pictures!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
I find all of this confusing. Taking a clay bar, or any product with grit, to a new car clear coat seems like the last thing you would ever want to do. You put sealer over wax. Others suggested wax last. And I have been to a detailer who put on a sealer for wax. Too many products, too much conflicting information. I am fine with everyone having their own favorites as to products. Shouldn't there be only one correct order or protocol? And shouldn't there be an agreed to type of product that should be used at a certain time in the cleaning/protection/shine cycle?

What I am not at all confused about is haw fabulous your beauty looks in those pictures!
Hehehe! I was just thinking the same! It's all too confusing.

Maybe the experienced folks or a pro can post the recommended sequence to follow.

AG, all I can now suggest about the application is however way you do it you'll need a huge gin and tonic afterwards!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Haku
Hehehe! I was just thinking the same! It's all too confusing.

Maybe the experienced folks or a pro can post the recommended sequence to follow.

AG, all I can now suggest about the application is however way you do it you'll need a huge gin and tonic afterwards!
Single malt guy, but I am right there with you! In case I forget, give my best to Serge Nd everyone else when you all get together. Sounds like a great time!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 PM
carcam is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=AG991;3857663]I find all of this confusing. Taking a clay bar, or any product with grit, to a new car clear coat seems like the last thing you would ever want to do. You put sealer over wax. Others suggested wax last. And I have been to a detailer who put on a sealer for wax. Too many products, too much conflicting information. I am fine with everyone having their own favorites as to products. Shouldn't there be only one correct order or protocol?

Confusing? No kidding. However, clay bars with a spray/lubricant have no grit- smooth as a baby's bottom until you reach a small imperfection then it picks it up uneventfully. I've done it on new Porsches with seemingly perfect paint and couldn't believe what I picked up.

And I don't think anyone puts sealant over wax- it's wax over sealant.

Consumer Reports does do a review and there's a great variation on products. But they don't review these niche products, just the walmart/target ones.

One product- sure, ideally. But they are all so close in performance and have different qualities- cost, ease of application, removal, durability, etc. I wish I knew what was best. Let us know if you figure it out!

Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
[quote=carcam;3857703]
Originally Posted by AG991
And I don't think anyone puts sealant over wax- it's wax over sealant!
Actually, it sounds like many mistakenly do.

6Speed has a Detailer 's Forum. Start here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...er-finish.html

Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Less Complicated approach:

None of this really has to be complicated:

Wash Car

Use a Polish if necessary (to remove minor swirl marks, tree sap, etc.)

Apply Sealant (a good sealant can last a few months or more: depending on weather, etc).

Optional: one can apply carnauba wax (not cleaner wax) from time to time to perk up the shine.

Never apply sealant over wax, because it will come off with the wax (wax doesn't last very long to begin with).

Regarding the Clay Bar: this is a great system for removing minor impurities from the paint surface. It is not as abrasive to the paint as many are led to believe.
http://www.mothers.com/03_how/03_how_02_videos_16.html

Haku: you just need to remember to apply the Wolfgang before the wax.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:19 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
The concept is the same, but there are now alternative products that are easier to use than clay.

The problem with clay is that it safely pulls grit and particulate off the paint, but then it is retained it the clay. You have to keep kneading the clay and folding it over to keep the grit away from the next sections of the paint you are claying or you may put some nice micro-scratches in your paint. And, of course, if you drop the clay on the ground, which is easy to do, you have to throw that piece of clay away.

I just bought & tried this and was pretty impressed. Just rinse it in a bucket of very soapy water after doing a section of the car and the grit floats off.

I asked my dealer to not prep my new 991S's exterior when it came off the truck. To just pull the plastic off the hood, fenders & panels and give me the keys. To not even wash it.

Once, home, I then washed it ...twice...with a microfiber mitt and a very heavy solution of Dawn soap detergent. The next morning, using a spray bottle of 25% solution of Dawn and water for a lubricant, I used this Opti-Eraser pad to remove any contaminants that had attached itself to the car on transporters and the boat since it rolled out the door of Werks I two months earlier. I was impressed with the reusable Opti-Eraser and now prefer it over clay.

I then dried the car and let it sit in the garage for a few hours, before applying my preferred sealant and, finally, my preferred LSP (last-step-product).

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-clay...ti-eraser.html

Last edited by TTCarrera; 05-27-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:04 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
looks great, Haku!

Old 05-27-2013, 02:22 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
The concept is the same, but there are now alternative products that are easier to use than clay.

The problem with clay is that it safely pulls grit and particulate off the paint, but then it is retained it the clay. You have to keep kneading the clay and folding it over to keep the grit away from the next sections of the paint you are claying or you may put some nice micro-scratches in your paint. And, of course, if you drop the clay on the ground, which is easy to do, you have to throw that piece of clay away.

I just bought & tried this and was pretty impressed. Just rinse it in a bucket of very soapy water after doing a section of the car and the grit floats off.

I asked my dealer to not prep my new 991S's exterior when it came off the truck. To just pull the plastic off the hood, fenders & panels and give me the keys. To not even wash it.

Once, home, I then washed it ...twice...with a microfiber mitt and a very heavy solution of Dawn soap detergent. The next morning, using a spray bottle of 25% solution of Dawn and water for a lubricant, I used this Opti-Eraser pad to remove any contaminants that had attached itself to the car on transporters and the boat since it rolled out the door of Werks I two months earlier. I was impressed with the reusable Opti-Eraser and now prefer it over clay.

I then dried the car and let it sit in the garage for a few hours, before applying my preferred sealant and, finally, my preferred LSP (last-step-product).

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-clay...ti-eraser.html

Thanks for the tip, as I do waste a lot of clay by playing it safe.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by haku
after a great drive this morning i decided to wash the car and try out the wolfgang deep gloss and paint sealant (no affiliation to them) which i ordered after reading other 6er's recommendations. I had waxed my car last week with einzett polishwax so today i just did my normal wash and dry and then applied the wolfgang product as per their instructions to the car including the clear bra and other leading edges which have the film.

I was expecting the result to be good but it was spectacular! I thought i should share my review and pics with others who also suffer from my car cleaning affliction!

wow!!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:29 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
looks good.

other than cleaning the clear bra/shield whats the purpose of sealing and/or waxing?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM
ColoradoCayenne is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kosmo69
looks good.

other than cleaning the clear bra/shield whats the purpose of sealing and/or waxing?
To provide additional protection to the paint from contaminants. It also visually increases the depth of color on darker paints.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:19 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by ColoradoCayenne
To provide additional protection to the paint from contaminants. It also visually increases the depth of color on darker paints.

to clarify i meant whats the reasoning behind sealing/waxing the CLEAR SHIELD? tks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tested a gloss and paint sealant - Wow! (pic heavy)