Sport or Sport Plus - on track experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Johnrs is infamous around these parts
Sport or Sport Plus - on track experience?

I'm about to scrub in my new C2S at the track this week, and was wondering if anyone has any experience to share using Sport or Sport Plus on the track?
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Sport Plus all the way. You want the firmer suspension setting, the more responsive throttle and PSM jumping in later (if you are not turning it off).
If you have PDK and do not want to shift manually, you will find out that the Sport Plus mode shifts at the right time 95%+ of the time. The only weakness is that the car does not see the road and that you could exercise better judgement by knowing what's ahead of you (this being said, PDK gear changes are so quick that I am not even sure that I am faster in manual mode vs fully automatic). Anyway, you want to shift manually for maximum fun, PDK or not.

Enjoy your trackday with your 991. You will have a blast!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Sport plus all times on the track. Do not be afraid of the option. It's there to help you and the car. It is very intuitive as Serge has pointed out.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Johnrs is infamous around these parts
Thanks guys! That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure about the PSM - good to know. Yeah it's PDK.
By the way, any input on cold tire pressure ... looks to be in the mid seventies?
I know it's trial an error deal, I was thinking 30/32 cold - the stock 20" PZeros.
Thanks!

Old 06-04-2013, 02:50 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnrs
Thanks guys! That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure about the PSM - good to know. Yeah it's PDK.
By the way, any input on cold tire pressure ... looks to be in the mid seventies?
I know it's trial an error deal, I was thinking 30/32 cold - the stock 20" PZeros.
Thanks!
30/32 is a good place to start.

Re Sport +, absolutely use it. I prefer auto shift and focusing on braking, line, etc.

As an aside, I think if you drive in regular Sport on the track, you will find that after a couple sessions, the shifts will come very late, almost like being in SPort Plus. That is, the car "learns" that you are on smooth asphalt and driving aggressively -- i.e., you're track driving.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM
BlackPepper is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Sport Plus all the way. You want the firmer suspension setting, the more responsive throttle and PSM jumping in later (if you are not turning it off).
If you have PDK and do not want to shift manually, you will find out that the Sport Plus mode shifts at the right time 95%+ of the time. The only weakness is that the car does not see the road and that you could exercise better judgement by knowing what's ahead of you (this being said, PDK gear changes are so quick that I am not even sure that I am faster in manual mode vs fully automatic). Anyway, you want to shift manually for maximum fun, PDK or not.

Enjoy your trackday with your 991. You will have a blast!
What is the lug nut torque for the 991 for track use?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:45 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackPepper
What is the lug nut torque for the 991 for track use?
I am using the same setting as for the street (160 Nm/118 ftlbs) and check my wheels with a torque wrench between each session.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 PM
BlackPepper is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I am using the same setting as for the street (160 Nm/118 ftlbs) and check my wheels with a torque wrench between each session.
Thanks!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM
harryz is infamous around these parts
I was told 96lbs torque by the dealer????

Old 06-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
my recommendation from experience on tire pressure is 26/32 f/r cold for track with 991 S, on PZeros.

Sport plus without question, even on a stick (like mine). Rev level matching coupled to Sport exhaust (A MUST OPTION) is intoxicating.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by harryz
I was told 96lbs torque by the dealer????
96 is what you find in the manual of the 997 and previous generations. The 991 manual says 118. I think most dealers work at 96 by default.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Size
my recommendation from experience on tire pressure is 26/32 f/r cold for track with 991 S, on PZeros.

Sport plus without question, even on a stick (like mine). Rev level matching coupled to Sport exhaust (A MUST OPTION) is intoxicating.
Funny thing the cars at the World Road Show had 50 lbs in them; I was really surprised.

ChuckJ

Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Just got back from 2 days at Watkins Glen, Sport + all the way, but use it in manual mode. In auto mode it wants to downshift to often, and not always at the appropriate moment.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Detroit Shooter is infamous around these parts
In my car Sport + shifts hard which I like on the street but pulling out of a turn hard I was afraid it might break the tires loose on the track.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM
SujanPatel is infamous around these parts
Sports Plus! I agree with SM_ATL it's right about 95% of the time.