View Poll Results: How Does Your Age Affect Transmission Preference?
<30 & I prefer the PDK over the manual 7-speed
6.98%
30-39 & I prefer the PDK over the manual 7-speed
15.12%
40-49 & I prefer the PDK over the manual 7-speed
8.14%
50-59 & I prefer the PDK over the manual 7-speed
12.79%
>60 & I prefer the PDK over the manual 7-speed
8.14%
<30 & I prefer the manual 7-speed over the PDK
4.65%
30-39 & I prefer the manual 7-speed over the PDK
15.12%
40-49 & I prefer the manual 7-speed over the PDK
13.95%
50-59 & I prefer the manual 7-speed over the PDK
4.65%
>60 & I prefer the manual 7-speed over the PDK
10.47%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

How Does Age Affect Transmission Preference?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:31 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I was in on the ground floor with the Audi DSG (now called S-tronic), I have had 3 or 4 of those cars. I'm not afraid of technology at all, but my last bunch of sport cars have all been manuals.

For me the engagement is just more fun. Rolling on and off the clutch and gas without upsetting the car, heel toe, control the gears and having to think ahead. It suits the character of the driving I want to do.

I also have Range Rovers as daily drivers so, if I don't want to toe the gears I don't have to. But honestly I drive the sports cars as often as I can. It's really not a pain, provided you want your sports cars to be sports cars and not luxury golf club holders (joke).

I'm not adverse to a paddle shift, as long as it provides a visceral experience. I drive these cars for excitement and I don't care if they are a little. " fatiguing".

Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 PM
lspain is infamous around these parts
I am 59 years old and my wife prefers PDK...guess which type of car I have!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
The thing I find interesting about this manual/pdk-thing is the difference between europe and north america. Here in europe when we go for our driving license, almost everyone learns driving in a manual, because it's the most common transmission over here (not sure for how long it will be that way, because more and more cars are equipped with automated transmissions nowadays).
On the other hand is the North American market, typically an "automatic market". Funny thing is that, according to Porsche, they sell more manual transmissions in the US than in Europe.

Regarding to the silly question if a manual is more manly than a PDK... I'm a woman and I like both transmissions. I learned to drive in a manual, as it is common over here. So does that make me manly? Don't think so! LOL
Like CarreraPete said... one should drive what makes her or him happy

Now ontopic...
The anniversary edition I ordered is a manual. I just liked the idea of a manual in that particular car only because it's the anniversary model. In every other 991 I would have chosen the PDK I guess...

I like both transmissions equally, but for a daily driver the PDK is just awesome and the best choice in my opinion.

[Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline]

Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Maybe a little clarification is in order: AutoWeek had an article that came up with the absurd notion that the reason the GT3 and Turbo don't offer the 7-speed manual is because of old folks who want an automatic and not a stick.

On the contrary, I find that many old timers like myself hate the fact that Ferrari and Lamborghini & Mercedes have dropped the manual altogether which flies in the face of the AutoWeek premise.

On the contrary, it seems that the real acceptance of the PDK, F1, S-Tronic or whatever you call a manumatic is more with the younger generations who maybe don't have the long history us oldtimers have with the stick.

So, this poll wasn't designed to make it PDK versus Manual or real man versus wimp or any such silliness. It was solely designed to determine if there is a statistical difference between the age of responders who make one choice over the other so as to prove or disprove AutoWeek's hypothesis. Nothing more than that.
I believe Porsche only offers the GT3 with PDK is because it is a purpose built, street legal track car. I think Porsche is telling us (Walter Rohrl, too), that they have no interest in selling slower technology in such a car.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
I believe Porsche only offers the GT3 with PDK is because it is a purpose built, street legal track car. I think Porsche is telling us (Walter Rohrl, too), that they have no interest in selling slower technology in such a car.
Exactly! The Jalopnik article made zero sense in proposing that GTE & Turbo buyers are lazy and old and prefer the PDK. I'm excited about getting my PDK because it is the fastest technology and is very flexible: shift when you want, don't when you don't want. Can't do that in stop-&-go traffic with a stick and clutch pedal.

And if personal choice of one or the other is age-related, then Jalopnik got it backwards because we oldtimers still love the engagement that having a clutch pedal and stick shift that we grew up on. Even though I am one of those oldtimers, for my DD I'd prefer the PDK. I enjoy my 4-speed in my old British sports cars but when it comes to my DD, I even go manual mode when driving my Bentley Continental all the time and shift with the paddles. Much more engaging than putting it in D or S and pushing the gas.

Last edited by SanibelSpeed; 06-09-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
I'm 41 and I got 7MT, never even crossed my mind buying it with PDK.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Zmoney is infamous around these parts
I am 31, bought my 911 last year and I drive the 7MT. I learned to drive manual when I was 21 and have only driven manual cars since then. I like the feeling of control and ability to control the revs / gear shifts. (i.e. being in 5th gear at 35mph as referenced earlier). Having driven P cars on the track, I can understand that PDK is an advantage in this setting, so perhaps this is why the GT3 is not offered in a MT.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:58 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
55 years old (today is my Bday ) . I like both equally so i was unable to pick out any of your poll choices . I feel the strengths of one gearbox reveal the weakness in the other and visa versa. Ideally one would have BOTH (two cars) .

Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 AM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
I prefer a manual transmission over PDK.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Maybe a little clarification is in order: AutoWeek had an article that came up with the absurd notion that the reason the GT3 and Turbo don't offer the 7-speed manual is because of old folks who want an automatic and not a stick.

On the contrary, I find that many old timers like myself hate the fact that Ferrari and Lamborghini & Mercedes have dropped the manual altogether which flies in the face of the AutoWeek premise.

On the contrary, it seems that the real acceptance of the PDK, F1, S-Tronic or whatever you call a manumatic is more with the younger generations who maybe don't have the long history us oldtimers have with the stick.

So, this poll wasn't designed to make it PDK versus Manual or real man versus wimp or any such silliness. It was solely designed to determine if there is a statistical difference between the age of responders who make one choice over the other so as to prove or disprove AutoWeek's hypothesis. Nothing more than that.
Well, this far the distribution of responses suggests that you might as well flip a coin. Autoweek logic seems to me equally random to me most of the time.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:19 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Poll results suggesting you are in the minority so far.
It does appear that way.

ChuckJ

Old 06-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
It does appear that way.

ChuckJ
Exactly as I predicted: older guys prefer the manual, opposite of what Jalopnik suggested. I stated from the outset that I am an exception to the rule. I don't think I can make it plainer for you to understand.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
For me, the fact that there are almost twice as many gears to row, combined with the much improved torque over the 70's model and the huge flexibility and shift speed has a lot to do with it. I only wish it was a no cost option in the C2 and C2S.

ChuckJ

Old 06-09-2013, 12:05 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Research it, take long test drives, be clear about what your intended 991 use is, then buy the one you want and enjoy it without trying to convince others' that your choice it best for everyone.

Personally, I think that believing the selection of a PDK vs a 7MT is driven by age is as ludicrous as suggesting that the manual is old or obsolete technology.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Flash991C4S has a spectacular aura aboutFlash991C4S has a spectacular aura about
I'm < 30 years old and I didn't even consider PDK. #MT4LIFE

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Does Age Affect Transmission Preference?