Dipstick Wanted - Calling All Vendors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 AM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Dipstick Wanted - Calling All Vendors

While I love all the electro / techno-nannies in our car, the lack of a proper oil dipstick seems like techno-overkill to me. Having just completed my first DIY oil & filter change over the week-end, I'm baffled by how much oil is in the car and what the proper fill after change is.

I let the oil drain for an hour, after warming the oil, and there was nothing else dripping from the plug. Added 8.4 qts of fresh oil and the oil fill display is "bouncing" between 3 green line to the "Oil Overfill" message. I pop the hood, open the oil fill cap, replace it and message goes away once the system has had time to renew the reading. It might read all the way full or show 3 green lines.

Enough rambling.....how about one of the vendors on here coming up with a proper fill cap / dipstick?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
When I had mine changed the tech told me that he puts 7 quarts in, then runs the engine for a while, then puts more in. They put just a little over 9 quarts in mine and charged me for 10. It's been a couple of weeks now and it's still reading to the top of the full mark, but not overfull.

That said, I agree there should be a way to physically check the oil and see what it looks like.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 06-18-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I read the oil level to make sure it's full before draining
Drain it
Pour the drained oil into one gallon plastic windshield wiper fluid bottles pre marked with quart markings
I measure what was drained
Change oil filter
I then replace exactly what was drained with fresh oil

Works every time As the car shows filled after an oil change

Usually drains 8 quarts

Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
Count me in for a real dipstick. I'd pay a 100 bucks for one.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevefrommn
Count me in for a real dipstick. I'd pay a 100 bucks for one.
Would it work with a dry sump?