Comfort Setting Revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Comfort Setting Revisited

It's now a year since I took delivery of the car. I originally used the comfort setting on the 20 inch classic wheels and abandoned that setting. I recently lowered the pressures to the comfort level and discovered:

- my mileage dropped about .7 miles for gallon which is not significant;
- it is a lot more comfortable driving on this really cr@ppy Pennsylvania roads;
- handling on winding roads seems to have improved, it's almost like the tires have some extra "glue" - I can take curves and turns at much higher speeds

I have about 15000 miles on the tires and have 9/32 on the front 8/32 on the rear (the tires and wheels were swapped out for a winter set for a few thousand)

Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 AM
yxc145 is infamous around these parts
Hi

Can you please explain what Comfort setting is? Is it just the "normal" setting?
Also, how did you lowered the pressure?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for this very useful info - rnl.
There were days when I thought my fillings would pop.
Hope to try this and see if it makes a difference.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Maybe we go with two Porsche sources out of three?...the Edmunds.com article says Porsche told them 31/34 for comfort, Summer, partial and they had a Cab. The imanual says 31/39 for 20", comfort, Summer, partial on an S, and the picture from the manual says 31/34 for 20", comfort, Summer, partial for S. So two out of three are 31/34. I doubt 5 lbs makes much of a difference...?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 PM
certified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of lightcertified_prime is a glorious beacon of light
I agree. I run 32 / 36, and it is perfect.

Comfort pressure also helped dial in the steering feel for me. It feels a bit weightier at the lower pressure.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Why did you abandon the comfort press setting in the first place? I have it on from day one!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by certified_prime
I agree. I run 32 / 36, and it is perfect.

Comfort pressure also helped dial in the steering feel for me. It feels a bit weightier at the lower pressure.
Yep, I agree...I had to pump up the rears to 44 for full load with my wife and kids last weekend ...I can feel the difference ,.,

Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
I run 31/34 and it's perfect.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by Fester
Why did you abandon the comfort press setting in the first place? I have it on from day one!

I seem to recall that the car initially returned less than 17mpg when i switched to comfort settings...then again, WOT probably did not assit the mileage...

With around 19,000 miles on the beast I have become less obsessed with mileage (other than as an indicator of engine health) and more focused on just enjoying the magnificent performance of this truly wonderful car. Ever stinking time I see it, start it and drive it, I smile. I have accumulated number of "toys" over the years and this one gives me the greatest joy