My C4S Died During Morning Commute

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:54 PM
crash2burn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CarreraS737
I thought it was the start/stop intervening when it happened the first few times during the first few months of ownership. Then I noticed it was not on when it occasionally happened. I have not really noticed it since the initial few hundred miles. Currently at 1900 miles, so maybe not occurring with the same frequency as others with more frequent driving. I have the 7 speed manual and X51. Very interested to hear how this develops. The thread indicates this problem is with both PDK and Manual transmissions. I use the parking brake all the time and have had no issues with starting. It has stalled maybe 3-4 times during the first 1,000 miles. None during the subsequent 900 miles.
Yeah - at least for me, if it happened to you like that you would know. Trouble starting it up, and then a stall pretty much every time i stopped, happened around 15 times before i made it home.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:34 PM
CarreraS737 is infamous around these partsCarreraS737 is infamous around these parts
I have not experienced anything near that. I did notice the start/stop button was activated a few times. I cycled it on, then off. Since the first experiences I had dismissed it as the auto start/stop functioning as advertised which I was not accustomed to. I try to make a habit of cycling through the settings occasionally just to activate the electrons and maybe purge some stray electrical gremlins or ghosts in the machine. This is not exactly scientific of course, but I have not had the problem repeating. This also works in certain aircraft with complex electrical systems. Lots of stray faults that magically cure themselves by powering down and re-energizing electrical buses. These cars are getting just like the electro- jets. Overly sophisticated and reliant on Hal to work. This must be very frustrating for those experiencing it routinely, and possibly a safety hazard. Hope Porsche will develop a definitive resolution.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:09 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
lol, doesn't need to be a complex aircraft. I've got an old Cherokee that I've had to cycle the master CB in flight more time than I can count just to get my radio's back.. Hate that feeling after about an hour that things seem..... "really quiet" on the radios and then oh s*** I realize I've been Nordo flying through class C...

Wish I had something like a master I could cycle in a lot of modern cars.. So far I've solved a few gremlins only by pulling the battery cable..

Originally Posted by CarreraS737
I have not experienced anything near that. I did notice the start/stop button was activated a few times. I cycled it on, then off. Since the first experiences I had dismissed it as the auto start/stop functioning as advertised which I was not accustomed to. I try to make a habit of cycling through the settings occasionally just to activate the electrons and maybe purge some stray electrical gremlins or ghosts in the machine. This is not exactly scientific of course, but I have not had the problem repeating. This also works in certain aircraft with complex electrical systems. Lots of stray faults that magically cure themselves by powering down and re-energizing electrical buses. These cars are getting just like the electro- jets. Overly sophisticated and reliant on Hal to work. This must be very frustrating for those experiencing it routinely, and possibly a safety hazard. Hope Porsche will develop a definitive resolution.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Well - service said they can't find anything wrong, nothing in the logs and no check engine etc. I mentioned the stuff in this thread and he will be calling PCNA to see if they have any recommendations. It's pretty lame that my car can die 20 times in a row while trying to get home and now they can't find anything wrong.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
bboatman has a spectacular aura aboutbboatman has a spectacular aura about
I'm having a weird problem as well, the other day I couldn't get my car into gear. It didn't turn off or anything it just wouldn't move. My clutch is fine only 15k miles on my 2012 991 c2 car will turn on fine, just when I put it in gear I can freely rev like I am in neutral. I pushed it into a lot and called roadside assistance. Tried to get it in gear a few more times then just had them tow it to the dealer. Monday morning I got a call from them asking me what was wrong, I explained the issue and he said "that's weird... we drove it into the shop". I told them to keep it and continue driving it, I haven't picked it up yet. He said they would keep driving it for a few days to see if it happens again.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM
JonnyC is infamous around these parts
Spacers and Heaters

By way of update, I haven't had the stalling problem since the new machined spacer was installed. I'm told the spacer is now available nationwide as a replacement part, which sounds like potential pre-recall language to me. Unfortunately, although it hasn't stalled on the highway recently, the car's heater only works intermittently, and I've had the car in the dealer's shop, again, without success. I learned today that PCNA is suddenly aware that this problem is being caused by in many cars by a defective solenoid and/or valve, and has issued instructions for the problem part(s) to be replaced. The new parts won't be in until next week. Although my dealership (Porsche of Conshohocken) has been handling things in a professional manner, the car itself (with the dangerous stalling problem and now, lack of heat) has proven to be an embarrassing purchase.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:58 PM
911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice

Last edited by 911F1; 01-19-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by 911F1
I agree, Wish I never bought my car. We shouldn't have to deal with things like this on a 100k+ purchase. I had the spacer and sensor replaced an still have issues of stalling and not starting. How many people still have the issue after parts have been replaced?
I have gotten the spacer replaced, so far so good although it did take me ~1300 miles to first get the problem, so we'll see.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by crash2burn
Well - service said they can't find anything wrong, nothing in the logs and no check engine etc. I mentioned the stuff in this thread and he will be calling PCNA to see if they have any recommendations. It's pretty lame that my car can die 20 times in a row while trying to get home and now they can't find anything wrong.
This would indicate there needs to be a mode the owner can put it in that enables a 'logging mode' where a data recorder functionality comes on storing all instrumented sources that can store a big swath of data (several hours) - so they can begin to diagnose an issue that isn't something they know about. After all, the error codes only capture events they expected to begin with - a pre-defined issue. If some new combination of things happens.. there is no error code for it yet.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Taiwanese is infamous around these parts
I would like to suggest installing a dash cam for those still have the problem after dealer fixed it.

The dash cam is on all the time, so you can prove it if it caused an accident.

Of course, you need to have the dash cam pointing at your dash.

Or a go pro.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Porsche AG replaced a fellow member's engine after a small hint of potential problems or failure was discovered (I believe it was Nicoli's car).

They should step up in this sort of situation with the same amount of care and customer service.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 AM
dbturbo2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JonnyC
By way of update, I haven't had the stalling problem since the new machined spacer was installed. I'm told the spacer is now available nationwide as a replacement part, which sounds like potential pre-recall language to me. Unfortunately, although it hasn't stalled on the highway recently, the car's heater only works intermittently, and I've had the car in the dealer's shop, again, without success. I learned today that PCNA is suddenly aware that this problem is being caused by in many cars by a defective solenoid and/or valve, and has issued instructions for the problem part(s) to be replaced. The new parts won't be in until next week. Although my dealership (Porsche of Conshohocken) has been handling things in a professional manner, the car itself (with the dangerous stalling problem and now, lack of heat) has proven to be an embarrassing purchase.
Had the spacer installed a few months ago and all was fine until Sunday when the engine shut off twice while driving home. I was able to go into neutral both times while moving and restart the engine (just like before). Has anyone who had the spacer repair done had the issue return, and if so what is the fix?

Last edited by dbturbo2; 02-04-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 AM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Hmm, I had my C2 (Dec '12 build - Jan '13 delivery) stall 2 or 3 times in the first few weeks I had it. I thought I had somehow had the start/stop on, and chalked it up to not being familiar with the settings. I haven't had it happen since then, so 12 months of no problems. I just recently had it in for the 1 year service (@3600 miles) and they certainly didn't mention any codes, so I don't think there was anything sitting on the computer that they found.

Guess I'll think more of it if I see it happen again... That sucks that it's not unheard of and that the 'fix' doesn't seem to quite fix it either. Best of luck to you all with it and I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't run into it either. (!)

Old 02-04-2014, 07:24 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GBXSport
My dad had the same issues on his C4S 7MT wihtin days of taking delivery. After the dealer working on it 3 different times for this same issue, they finally were told my Porsche to replace the Camshaft Positioning Sensor and that seems to have fixed the issue...knock on wood....
Glad to hear there's a fix. Please keep us posted with updates - here's hoping.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 AM
911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice911F1 is just really nice

Last edited by 911F1; 01-19-2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My C4S Died During Morning Commute