Porsche Ruined the 911 - Again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 AM
elise386 is infamous around these parts
Evolution is a continuing fact of life. Unfortunately, sometimes it is not for the better. When it does, similar to the current 991. It is really lucky as else, there wouldn't be any more 911 around. People should therefore stop complaining for sake of complaint. Perhaps the wonderful thing about 911 is there is an abundant availability of older model for purchase second hand. As such, perhaps the critics would consider buying the older generation that would best suit their taste. The bottom line is Porsche survives ! For the record, Porsche AG controls over 50% of VW group and there couldn't be better proof that each generation of 911 is better than the one before and by far !

Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by elise386
For the record, Porsche AG controls over 50% of VW group and there couldn't be better proof that each generation of 911 is better than the one before and by far !
That's actually untrue: VWAG owns 100% of Porsche. In 2008, Porsche secretly borrowed and used up all their cash to try a hostile takeover by buying up 75% of VWAG's stock but it failed miserably and VW ended up owning Porsche as of last July:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar131969.html

"Porsche's Billion Dollar Blunder":
http://www.michaelslawgroup.com/pres...ar-Blunder.pdf

Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Hawkman is infamous around these parts
Nostalgia. Rose colored glasses.
I cannot speak from past experience of the original air cooled 911's, or even the later ones, but my C2S (still on the water after a 3,000 mile Euro trip), has exceeded my expectations...but I don't have another 911 to compare it to.
In the mid 70's I had a 1600HF Lancia Fulvia in the UK (see my profile pic), which was a rocket-ship at the time and ultra advanced - but most of all fast, smooth, perfect handling etc. When I finally got around to reliving my youth five years ago when I bought another almost identical model...it was much different to my memory! It took me a while to recalibrate my memory to the reality of cars 40 years ago and all the progress we all now enjoy - and demand!
Sorry for long post.......hmmm I rather fancy some air-cooled experience to see what I'm missing!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
In the 60s I lusted after the Austin-Healey 3000 and now that I have one, it even exceeds my expectations. I owned a TR3 back then and the one I own today is exactly as I remembered it - except now I feel as though I'm taking my life in my hands whenever I get behind the wheel of either of these cars: no collapsing steering column (which looks like a spear aimed at my heart); no crumple zones, no air bags, seat belts that are iffy, at best; brakes that stop eventually; sideview mirrors all the way out on the front fenders that are so far away as to be virtually useless. And yet I love driving them but do so very carefully and not very fast (you can't go very fast in them, anyway).

Even the lowliest and cheapest of new cars made today can run circles around my British sports cars and will do so without breaking down. Cars have improved so dramatically that it's mind-boggling.

Luddites who want old technology to stick around will need to buy used cars soon. That being said, kudos to Audi for keeping their wonderful 6-speed manual on the R8. I wonder if I'll be able to make that statement in 5 years, though.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 PM
elise386 is infamous around these parts
Smile

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
That's actually untrue: VWAG owns 100% of Porsche. In 2008, Porsche secretly borrowed and used up all their cash to try a hostile takeover by buying up 75% of VWAG's stock but it failed miserably and VW ended up owning Porsche as of last July:

Well, what Volkswagen owns is Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche GmbH, the part of Porsche that actually makes the car. The holding company Porsche SE has over 50% of the voting right in VW. After the repurchase of Qatar's share, the Porsche family owns 100% of Porsche SE. Hence, the effective control of VW rest with the Porsche and Piech family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group

Last edited by elise386; 07-02-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed

Yes, but Porsche Holdings SE (from Austria) owns the over 50% of VWAG. It's just one of the Royal Families from the mid east now owns about 30% of Porsche Holdings SE so the family/Porsche apparently owns about 35% of the whole thing!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hawkman
Nostalgia. Rose colored glasses.
I cannot speak from past experience of the original air cooled 911's, or even the later ones, but my C2S (still on the water after a 3,000 mile Euro trip), has exceeded my expectations...but I don't have another 911 to compare it to.
In the mid 70's I had a 1600HF Lancia Fulvia in the UK (see my profile pic), which was a rocket-ship at the time and ultra advanced - but most of all fast, smooth, perfect handling etc. When I finally got around to reliving my youth five years ago when I bought another almost identical model...it was much different to my memory! It took me a while to recalibrate my memory to the reality of cars 40 years ago and all the progress we all now enjoy - and demand!
Sorry for long post.......hmmm I rather fancy some air-cooled experience to see what I'm missing!
I've had 15 Porsches (2 356, 1 944, 1 928 and the rest 911s) beginning in 1967. IMO the early 911s are cool, but the 991 has the meat and refinement. You would be surprised at the lack of power and refinement you would feel if you got back in a '66 911; not to mention the smell of burning oil.

ChuckJ