Porsche Ruined the 911 - Again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Porsche Ruined the 911 - Again

Like every previous generation, there will be complainers that Porsche ruined the 911 with the latest generation. Some of you are guilty of it and display your displeasure vociferously on this forum. And, like your predecessors, they were wrong then and you are wrong now. But don't take my word for it:

http://porschaddict.com/2012/08/26/o...-live-the-911/

Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 AM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Thanks for the link !

Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Tend to agree that lots of people like to complain no matter what and look to find fault. Whether it be the new 991 compared to older models or base to S model to GT3, manual to PDK, etc., there is a tendency to complaint. Admittedly, some are justified and we need those comments to make a better product. Others are just whinnnig for whinning's sake. For me, I am happy to be able to own and drive such an iconic and state of the art vehicle. Change is good, and whether you like it or not, inevitable.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 AM
1mirage has a spectacular aura about1mirage has a spectacular aura about
Finally! I am so tired of listening to all the complainers. My 991S Cab runs great, have had zero problems and I like it better than my 5-other Porsches. Yes it's different and I am glad it is or life and driving would be boring with he same look, feel, power and steering than all the ones previous! So enjoy the car and apreciate the creativity and engineering that went into this 991 and have fun driving it and not complaining about it! BRAVO!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
I am hoping to get mine ruined with some updates- a set of mirrors (like the GT3) and a software update to revise the PDK shift direction (like the GT3). I appreciate that I might loose the special involvement of buffeting from windows open at high speeds and the ergonomic confusion of shifting by push instead of pull, and pull instead of push. But I have accepted not having variations in over and understear in the same corner and residual bump steer due to surface variations, so I guess i could learn to live without the purity of "real" 911s. I also don't mind not adjusting the solid lifters on the valves every 3500 miles.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I am hoping to get mine ruined with some updates- a set of mirrors (like the GT3) and a software update to revise the PDK shift direction (like the GT3). I appreciate that I might loose the special involvement of buffeting from windows open at high speeds and the ergonomic confusion of shifting by push instead of pull, and pull instead of push. But I have accepted not having variations in over and understear in the same corner and residual bump steer due to surface variations, so I guess i could learn to live without the purity of "real" 911s. I also don't mind not adjusting the solid lifters on the valves every 3500 miles.

ChuckJ

Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
....like your predecessors, they were wrong then and you are wrong now.....
Good opinion piece, thanks!

Excellent final line in it, that you might consider:

"The words expressed here are full of extreme bias – check out the title of the site for heaven’s sake."

Old 07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by fantom
Good opinion piece, thanks!

Excellent final line in it, that you might consider:

"The words expressed here are full of extreme bias – check out the title of the site for heaven’s sake."
Opinions are like *******s: everyone has one but thinks everyone else's stinks, just not their own. The difference here is that the opinionated whiners and complainers that proclaimed each new generation of 911 was a step backward were ultimately proven wrong and there's no reason to believe it'll be any different with Generation #7. History always repeats itself and I'm on the side of the perennial winner, not the whiners.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Sorry, but I can't help whining about how much I enjoy my new 991; whether I'm driving it, or simply staring at it in the garage.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarreraPete
Sorry, but I can't help whining about how much I enjoy my new 991; whether I'm driving it, or simply staring at it in the garage.
that kind of whining is totally accepted

Suzy991

Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 1mirage
Finally! I am so tired of listening to all the complainers. My 991S Cab runs great, have had zero problems and I like it better than my 5-other Porsches. Yes it's different and I am glad it is or life and driving would be boring with he same look, feel, power and steering than all the ones previous! So enjoy the car and apreciate the creativity and engineering that went into this 991 and have fun driving it and not complaining about it! BRAVO!
WHAT HE SAID!!!....other than mine is a coupe... and I've had 9 others..

Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
don't get me wrong, I loved my 997's, but the 991 is a step forward and a step better, and faster.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 PM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
But isn't what you posted true about any car manufacturer? Cars are getting more technology, more comfortable and becoming easier to drive, that's where the future is headed, you don't need to be as of a skilled driver to drive good, they are making the cars do most of the work. I owned a 95 E36 M3, E46 and then E92. The 95 definitely felt the most raw out of them all and required the most skill in terms of driving, did I love it?...absolutely and will never forget how raw it was; but at the same time I would have picked the E92 over it any day in terms of something I can drive all the time. I haven't driven any other generation 911 so I have no idea about the steering and everything else that is not liked compared to the older generation, but coming from a BMW I do absolutely love everything about it including the steering. I think they have done a fantastic job with the transmission, suspension, the exhaust, and the iconic design. If this is what is ruining the 911, then I'm glad they did it

Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I like the 991 . I am just not in love with it . The Turbo isn't here yet . I do look forward to driving it when it arrives.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by ///armin
But isn't what you posted true about any car manufacturer? Cars are getting more technology, more comfortable and becoming easier to drive, that's where the future is headed, you don't need to be as of a skilled driver to drive good, they are making the cars do most of the work.
Yes, this is true about all car manufacturers but Porsche is different from almost every other manufacturer in that Porsche began as strictly a sports car and existed as such for more than half its life until it branched out and became a complete car company. All the others (except Ferrari & Lamborghini) started as car companies that also made sports cars or GTs or sporty cars. So, since Porsche's roots are in racing and sports cars - like Ferrari - they are held to a different standard.

But in the end, they are a business and businesses exist to make money so they are following the money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Ruined the 911 - Again