Best source for Burmester system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 PM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by grapesmc
I ended up doing exactly what you describe. I have a 160GB Classic iPod with a decent collection of Apple Lossless music.

I can definitely tell the difference between Lossless and MP3 format. MP3s are kind of... Well.. hollow.

That said, the Burmester is great regardless, but you can really have an incredible experience with better quality media.

Also, I have a few DVD Audio DVDs that really take advantage of it. I had to get my frist PCM replaced because these would skip quite often. Even the replacement unit has problems playing these. I don't think Porsche thought anyone would actually buy any DVD Audio disks. But CDs work flawlessly.

As mentioned by others, streaming services that can be accessed on smartphones (Spotify and Pandora) and connected via bluetooth audio are super convenient, but have the worst quality. Typically 192kbps.

It's really too bad that they don't offer a higher tier on these services for those who want higher quality.
Spotify do offer 320kbps streaming. Pandora, I believe streams at 64 or 128kbps for mobile.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
After a lot of attempts to get various formats to play through the USB port off of a USB stick (Apple lossless, DTS, mpeg2, DD (ac3), windows media lossless, and WAV), the only format I could get to play was WAV (as old school as it is). I think there may have been some mismatches (bitrate/sampling frequency/channels) on one or two of the other formats as the system saw the files but wouldn't play them. I couldn't test MLP as I don't have a way to convert to that format from flac. Also, I didn't spend time trying to go up and down the alternatives to try and find something that might work once I saw WAV would play.

So, I guess if you want to go straight into the USB port AND use the Burmester's DAC, the easiest way for the best sound may be to get a big honking low power USB hardrive and load it up with WAV files. The indexing and control will be a little worse than an ipod but, as mentioned before, the Burmester DAC does sound better than the ipod DAC.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 AM
johan8778 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jster
After a lot of attempts to get various formats to play through the USB port off of a USB stick (Apple lossless, DTS, mpeg2, DD (ac3), windows media lossless, and WAV), the only format I could get to play was WAV (as old school as it is). I think there may have been some mismatches (bitrate/sampling frequency/channels) on one or two of the other formats as the system saw the files but wouldn't play them. I couldn't test MLP as I don't have a way to convert to that format from flac. Also, I didn't spend time trying to go up and down the alternatives to try and find something that might work once I saw WAV would play.

So, I guess if you want to go straight into the USB port AND use the Burmester's DAC, the easiest way for the best sound may be to get a big honking low power USB hardrive and load it up with WAV files. The indexing and control will be a little worse than an ipod but, as mentioned before, the Burmester DAC does sound better than the ipod DAC.
Hi Jster.

You've put in the work
So I guess you can play wav and mp3 from USB?
Can you also copy these to the PCM local HD?

I wander if it would any difference which usb drive is being used sound wise....will look into this

Old 07-05-2013, 04:34 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by johan8778
Hi Jster.

You've put in the work
So I guess you can play wav and mp3 from USB?
Can you also copy these to the PCM local HD?

I wander if it would any difference which usb drive is being used sound wise....will look into this
Yes, you can play mp3 or wav from a USB stick; that is how I tested the system. Prior to dragging my old, old ipod out I used a 64GB Kingston USB stick. Everything was just fine (although slow on the indexing...each time the car is started). I moved to a newer ipod for the increase in disc space over the old ipod and Kingston drive. You can also load them on a DVD and play them through the CD drive but I wouldn't recommend that.

My car is a first year and the jukebox was not available; nor does Porsche offer a retrofit to my knowledge so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 AM
johan8778 is infamous around these parts
I guess the jukebox means the local HD as well?
Do you think the slow(er) indexing might have something to do the speed you get from the USB stick?
Perhaps an external low power USB SSD disk would be an idea?
Very fast and less moving parts. Although I would not expect it, but I won't be surprised if you would hear a difference on the Burmester also.

One last question. You have only one USB port in the glovebox? So it's either the Ipod or external USB? Unless you have a local HD you can copy the USB data on this?

Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 AM
johan8778--

I guess the jukebox means the local HD as well? Yes.

Do you think the slow(er) indexing might have something to do the speed you get from the USB stick? Yes, and No. First, it is the sheer number of files and they are indexed each time the car is started. I think this is because they haven't provided enough sophistication to know it is the same drive and a way to look for new, or changed music at request (manual) or each time (auto) based on a PCM setting. The ipod provides its own index to the PCM the indexing doesn't have to happen each time.

Second the USB drive is definitely slower than a HD so this contributes.

Perhaps an external low power USB SSD disk would be an idea? I have a 1 terabyte bus powered HD on order. It won't be as fast as SSD but for $79 it is definitely cheap to try compared to SSD.

Very fast and less moving parts. Although I would not expect it, but I won't be surprised if you would hear a difference on the Burmester also. Yes, certainly a speed difference though I don't see why the sound would be any different regardless of storage type given the same file(s).

One last question. You have only one USB port in the glovebox? So it's either the Ipod or external USB? Unless you have a local HD you can copy the USB data on this? Yes, and the manual says the port is not a hub and not to use it as one. I don't remember how they say to get the data over to the local HD whether through individual CDs or through the USB port. I just don't know.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
I compared the following:

Apple lossless (6th gen iPod, no EQ setting, full volume) only using sound conditioner setting in PCM.

WAV from usb drive and jukebox, with sound conditioner on.

The wav format was slightly better but hard to justify when you factor in loss of ID3 information. For a large library (20,000 tracks) it seems iPod organization is necessary.

Now if the PCM could organize the wav files that would be ideal, but it shows only the tracks with unknown artist and unknown album.

The surround and live settings in the Burmester are not that great for most music regardless of source, seems like moving the fader 1-2 notches to the rear fills the cabin a little better.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I found a work around for wav files, if you save them in folders of Artist and sub folder Album, you can use the track option and navigate the directory structure in an orderly fashion.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Go123
The surround and live settings in the Burmester are not that great for most music regardless of source, seems like moving the fader 1-2 notches to the rear fills the cabin a little better.
I initially preferred the Burmester minus the presets, but found the sound stage is squashed horizontally with less bass and definition and lacking in fullness. The sound is more directed toward the center channel. The Burmester has a bright(ish) sound signature and in that mode the highs are overly emphasized. For me live mode is the best as it reverses these short comings.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:03 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by handfull
Based on my A to B tests a well recorded CD sounds best through the Burmester. In this format the Burmester's internal amp and dac are utilized, whereas using the ipod as your source, you are using the ipod's dac.

I experimented with my audiophile dap, the Ibasso DX100 which is miles ahead of the ipod in terms of sound quaility (not user interface) and it uses the ES 9018 32 bit dac chip and supports up to24bit/192khz bit for bit decoding and it did nots ound as good as a CD of the same recording. The music in question was downloaded from HD Tracks in 24bit/192khz onto my DX100. The sound was not as full, bass had less control and some clarity was lost. This was very disappointing as I was hoping to use the DX100 as my main source since it has 64G and 32G external micro sd. I will need to spend more time with this set up. It has 3 gain settings and I was on the lowest setting. I am determined to make this work!!!

Streaming music is probably the least attractive from a quality standpoint but certainly one of the most convenient ways to listen to music.

By the way, does anyone know what dac chip Burmester is using.
Thanks for this analysis. I've been wondering about this since well before I ordered my car.

I think I may opt to burn 6 "desert island disks" full of my favorites and leave them in the changer. Then, I will use either my iPhone or a dedicated iPod for "the rest."

It's interesting to note that there are at least a subset of 911 drivers who would also like to get the best possible audio fidelity in the car. Yes, we all know it's a horrendous acoustic environment and that the mechanical sounds are bewitching as well. But wouldn't it be cool if Burmester included an optical-in port you could use with a high end DAP (like the iBasso)?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 AM
Mr.Boon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by handfull
I initially preferred the Burmester minus the presets, but found the sound stage is squashed horizontally with less bass and definition and lacking in fullness. The sound is more directed toward the center channel. The Burmester has a bright(ish) sound signature and in that mode the highs are overly emphasized. For me live mode is the best as it reverses these short comings.
I totally agree. I always have it on LIVE Mode. Just a richer/fuller sound IMO. If you turn off live mode, it just seems 'meh'.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Boon
I totally agree. I always have it on LIVE Mode. Just a richer/fuller sound IMO. If you turn off live mode, it just seems 'meh'.
I also have been appreciating the Live mode more too. I converted all my lossless files to wav and put them on a usb drive. I now get to use the Burmester DAC for all my uncompressed digital music.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 AM
Dominic in London is infamous around these parts
I am using a 160gb ipod with all my albums in Apple Lossless. Quality is excellent. My studio masters (I have a few) sound extraordinary.

I read that the 160gb ipod's DAC wasn't that great, but really it sounds fantastic. And it copes with the higher resolution of the studio masters - not sure the Burmester DAC does?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:58 AM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Has anyone got experience with the AK120 DAP?

I'm considering it as a platform for hi-res music into the Burmester.

http://www.astellnkern.com

Old 11-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by jnscolo
Has anyone got experience with the AK120 DAP?

I'm considering it as a platform for hi-res music into the Burmester.

http://www.astellnkern.com
It should work well, you may consider using the bluetooth streaming feature rather than the headphone jack. I don't think you can interface directly with the USB port. Alternatively if you already have the hi-res music, you could convert it to WAV and place it on an external hard drive using the Burmester DAC.

You can read the manual here:
http://www.iriver.com/support/downlo....asp?dNum=1082

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best source for Burmester system