Porsche 991 base at Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
while its no driver's car the Prius is a remarkable feat of engineering plain and simple. The R&D dollars the TMC have put into the HYbrid systems is staggering. I recall Several years ago Porsche wanted to collaborate w/ TMC on this technology.

Now back on topic please...

Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tx11
If you love speed and want a sublime driving experience, get a race Porsche. Given the limited ability to drive fast on the street, the base has more than enough power to get the job done and it is functional as a daily driver. Any more is just bragging. I have friends with Ferraris that drive Suburbans to work every day. How purist is that? I have no desire to get anything more than my vert for the street however I am seriously looking at a 991 GT3 Cup Car for junior and I to do some racing in.
This is so true. Last week at a trackday I saw Cup cars run circles around GT3RS cars. You cannot believe the differential in straight line speed, braking performance, corner entry speed, corner exit speeds. Impressive. And not to forget the raw sound. Trust me, I got goosebumps standing at the end of the pit street when the Cup's arrived on their pit limiter (which gives an extremely strange and aggressive sound), going off the limiter at pit exit and flooring it. Still got goosebumps thinking back !
They completely drowned out the gathered GT3RS'es in all respects!

Last edited by bccars; 07-05-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Suzy991
There are some things you ALL are missing here!

Base carrera is a perfect car, but it is NOT the same as an S.... Base car has a 3.4 boxer while the S has a 3.8 boxer. Both engines have a different character. IMO the base Carrera with it's lower powerd 3.4 engine is the most purest 911 at this moment. When the 911 was introduced back in 1963 it was also "underpowered" compared to other sportscars, but made up by the great chassis, allthough the engine was in the wrong place.
The 3.4 boxer, you have to keep high in revs to get the most out of it and when driving it hard, it feels great. The S has some more torque and is an easier engine for lets call it "GT cruisin". With the S you can do both. With the base it can be done both, but it feels underpowered when driving at normal speeds, at least here in the mountains (just my opinion, and the reason I've taken the S).

The thing that the Boxster S sells more because of te red calipers is the biggest bull**** I've ever heard. If you want red calipers on the base Boxster, you can have it done for lets say $ 500?? It's not necesary to upgrade to a Boxster S, only to get red calipers. Base boxster again has a different engine 2.7 vs 3.4 in the S and has exactly the same different character as the 911. Base is the more pure car, where the S has more power and therefore is easier to drive at normal speeds. (Sounds weird, I know... But it is true, especially for less experienced drivers)

As a conclusion, I would say: Base cars are just perfect and they are a great addition to the line-up. If I lived somewhere else where there were less mountains, I definitely would have chosen the C4 instead of the C4S.

And then there is of course the marketing aspect... The base 911, boxster, cayman make it possible to get more people attracted to buy a Porsche and that is a good thing!

Suzy991
Hey Suzy -

It is very nice that we are in agreement 100 percent and I must say you are so spot on !!!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 AM
LOSERKING has a spectacular aura aboutLOSERKING has a spectacular aura aboutLOSERKING has a spectacular aura about
how about the time for the 991 C4S?

Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LOSERKING
how about the time for the 991 C4S?
You'll have to wait untill I get my car. Than I will do some timed laps. Should be around 6:50 LOL

Suzy991

Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Suzy991

A Prius isn't a vehicle made for inspired driving.... In fact a Prius isn't made to do anything right IMO, but that is probably because I immensely hate those vehicles. I even dream sometimes of owning an Aston Martin with rocket launchers and all the Bond-gadgets, just to shoot every Prius out of my way

Suzy991
R and T did a review of the Prius and another hybrid. The Prius came out on top but the best they could say about it was the if was "barely drivable".

Old 09-19-2013, 01:00 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Well, I just had to post this fun, Jay Leno Garage 918. Enjoy everyone! He interviews the project head in Monterrey and takes the car for a drive. It includes some interesting technical discussion.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 09-19-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:54 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
lol, I often wonder what is it that brings such as strong response to the Prius... In general I tend to appreciate Toyota's as a whole and don't have a problem with Hybrids ether (other than I think they are a lousy cost/return investment and have imaginary environmental benefits)..

But something about the Prius in general that often just makes people hate them (me included) and I don't know why.. lol, maybe it is just a prejudice against the kind of people who buy them..

Originally Posted by lrattner
R and T did a review of the Prius and another hybrid. The Prius came out on top but the best they could say about it was the if was "barely drivable".

Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 AM
barihunk is infamous around these partsbarihunk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by scatkins
lol, I often wonder what is it that brings such as strong response to the Prius... In general I tend to appreciate Toyota's as a whole and don't have a problem with Hybrids ether (other than I think they are a lousy cost/return investment and have imaginary environmental benefits)..

But something about the Prius in general that often just makes people hate them (me included) and I don't know why.. lol, maybe it is just a prejudice against the kind of people who buy them..
IMHO, it's the uppety, self-righteous people that drive (some) Prius-es that is the problem. You know, the ones that hog the left lane going below the speed limit, blocking traffic at Whole Foods, and this woman:

Now not all Prius drivers are like this, but there are enough of them around that mistakenly think they are saving the planet by buying a Prius, that they become the stereotype.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by barihunk
IMHO, it's the uppety, self-righteous people that drive (some) Prius-es that is the problem. You know, the ones that hog the left lane going below the speed limit, blocking traffic at Whole Foods, and this woman:

You got to see this, Getting yelled at for the diesel truck I drive - YouTube

Now not all Prius drivers are like this, but there are enough of them around that mistakenly think they are saving the planet by buying a Prius, that they become the stereotype.

Well, ok, there are a lot of really stupid folks out there. As you know, there is no qualifying examination to purchase a Prius or even a Porsche, I know, I own one of each.

There a quite a few Prius cars around here and i don't think anyone thinks they are anything special. I live in an affluent area and folks try to stay pretty much to themselves.

I owned a 2004 Prius which my daughter totaled in 2007, two days before leaving for college. It had 90000 trouble free miles on it when it died in a horrible collision from which my little girl had only a seat belt "burn" on her chest. The car laid down its life to save my daughter and did a great job of protecting her.

My 2007 Prius has over 150,000 miles on it. With the exception of the f*ck*ng HID headlights, it has been a joy to drive and service. With the exception of those f*ck*ng headlights, there has been no extraordinary repairs; service costs are just 3.5 quarts of Mobil 1 every 4000 miles along with oil filters as well as the 120000 mile change of coolant, spark plugs (they were barely worn), tires (40000 miles on the junk misnamed Goodyear Integras, 80000 on the Michelins) and replaced brake fluid.

brake pads are original and barely worn.

no belts to replace

no timing belt to replace

For what I paid for it - near invoice - and the reliable service it has provided, i would consider buying another when this dies, if it ever dies.

Look, car owners have reputations both deserved and undeserved.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
I love it her calling him "ignorant" I bet she doesnt even know how much energy is used just to make the battery for her Prius.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:04 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
So off-topic...

...But so damn funny...