Cleaning rear fender rock guard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM
6sol4me is infamous around these parts
Cleaning rear fender rock guard

The rear render rock guard film seems to collect a lot of dirt around the edges and it's not very easy to wipe off... my car is white so it really stands out. Does anyone have a good solution to clean this?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Switch them for black ones??

Only answer I have for you.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Switch them for black ones??

Only answer I have for you.
+! that is what I did!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:47 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Replace them, cheap and easy fix.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:49 PM
carcam is infamous around these parts
I use a toothbrush (my wife's- shhh with some soapy water and it works well. At first, it accumulated more dirt than I thought it should so I used some 3M adhesive solvent and that worked real well- I think there was residual adhesive along the edges that attracted dirt. Seems better now.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:10 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carcam
I use a toothbrush (my wife's- shhh with some soapy water and it works well. At first, it accumulated more dirt than I thought it should so I used some 3M adhesive solvent and that worked real well- I think there was residual adhesive along the edges that attracted dirt. Seems better now.
That's what I use also.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks, I will give that a try.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I use a toothbrush (my wife's- shhh with some soapy water and it works well.
Won't you scratch your paint doing it this way?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 PM
I don't seem to able to keep the clear rear rock guards clean.. drives me nuts! so I decided to order some black ones (magnetic, carbon-fiber)... I figured since it's magnetic, if I don't like the look of it, I can just take them off.. from various pictures I've seen, I do like the black guards on white coupes, but I don't know how well it goes with my cab with a red roof...

Will post some pictures once I have them...

btw, ordered them from http://www.magnagrafik.com/Products.aspx

Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Be careful with what you use on the edge of the film. If using a toothbrush, you'll eventually expose more of the adhesive edge, making the problem worse down the line. The one on the 991 isn't very good. We're already seeing some that are only weeks old that are yellowing.

You can put a little bit of a paint cleaner on a mf towel and gently rub the edge of the film. That usually cleans everything up. Some rubbing alcohol on a mf towel helps too

Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Magnetic? I thought all the panels were aluminum. Hey, if they work, more power to you. Curious to know what you think of them.

Originally Posted by 6sol4me
I don't seem to able to keep the clear rear rock guards clean.. drives me nuts! so I decided to order some black ones (magnetic, carbon-fiber)... I figured since it's magnetic, if I don't like the look of it, I can just take them off.. from various pictures I've seen, I do like the black guards on white coupes, but I don't know how well it goes with my cab with a red roof...

Will post some pictures once I have them...

btw, ordered them from http://www.magnagrafik.com/Products.aspx

Last edited by Chupacabra; 08-27-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Compukidd is infamous around these parts
the black guards look great on a white car!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 PM
So I received my black carbon fiber rock guards from Magnagrafik. I ordered the OEM size but they are not a 100% identical in size to the clear rock guard that came on my car. So I had to remove them (used a blow dryer to heat them up and slowly pulled them off.. still lots of residue left.. make sure you have some "goof-off" to clean up the glue, I had no luck with rubbing alcohol)

Anyway, they look FANTASTIC and I'm very happy with them!! I will post some pictures this weekend when she gets out of the garage :-)

Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Magnetic? I thought all the panels were aluminum. Hey, if they work, more power to you. Curious to know what you think of them.
Main panels are aluminum except rear fenders and roof rails.

DMoore
'13 C2S
'13 Panamera GTS

Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I also have a white cab with red interior. I ordered guards in red and will install this weekend I hope. Also ordered a set of white if I get tired of the red. I do have my Sport Techno wheels painted red also.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cleaning rear fender rock guard