2012 991 C2S Transmission fail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2013 | 07:11 PM
|
Neutra is infamous around these parts
2012 991 C2S Transmission fail

Been lurking/reading this forum for over a year - so informative and very helpful in my decision to buy my first Porsche last summer. I've had my car for about a year. I love it. It's my daily driver and has about 13k miles on it. A few days ago a light came on "Fault of the engine control system", and another warning light that went away before I could take a photo - I don't recall what it said. I had no reverse and only 1st gear. After a call with the dealer, I managed to reboot the car. The warning lights still came on but I had all gears and as per the dealer I got the car home as it was too late to take to the dealer. The next morning again no reverse, no gears and this time reboot did not work - had to flatbed it in. Dealer called and said the transmission failed - the error code they get shows the transmission broke down. They said it was the first time they've seen this with a 991. I almost never use manual mode/paddles. Anyone else have this issue? Dealer says I was just unlucky and got a bad unit - they are replacing. Driving a Panamera loaner for several days now - not a good substitute for a 911S.

Old 07-14-2013 | 07:21 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I read about one other case similar to yours that failed after 100 miles.
I think they replace his entire transmission as well.

Sounds pretty drastic and I'm very surprised that they didn't flatbed your car immediately.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS. Yes - The Panamera loaners are woeful.

Old 07-15-2013 | 06:07 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
My sales rep told me about two such things early in 2012. In one case they replaced the PDK altogether, and in the other they found that a sensor in the convertable top mechanism was somehow implicated.

Old 07-15-2013 | 08:07 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
I've had my new tranny since October. I took it in for a few 'campaigns' and the first thing they noticed was a liquid dripping from underneath the car. Long story short, I got a new transmission. It took them 16 days. I too had a Panamera. The hybrid, not too bad, just not the same.

Old 07-15-2013 | 08:30 AM
|
Thanks for the info. Wow 16 days...hoping mine is ready as promised - about a week. I'm also driving a Panamera Hybrid and yes, not the same.

Old 07-16-2013 | 09:11 AM
needlejocky is infamous around these parts
I have brand new 3 week old 2013 C2S with 1500miles; I babied it through the break-in and was cruising with my daughter in the backseat when it suddenly went into limp mode (2nd gear only, no reverse) and a transmission failure warning light came on. I drove it home and physically pushed it back into my garage, and flatbedded it to the dealer same day. Its been sitting at the dealer for 4 days. They too said this is the "first 991" they have seen this on, and more worrying is that they have no idea how to fix it or what to do, they are waiting for a reply from Porsche. Im stuck with a V6 Panamera and a large lease payment for a car i'm not using. Im not happy.....does anyone know if i should expect a new PDK?

Old 07-16-2013 | 02:02 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
ask for the GT3's PDK.

A friends PDK limp mode issue turned out to be a temp sensor issue.

Old 07-16-2013 | 02:09 PM
|
Heard from the dealer this am. New tranny being installed today. Car ready tonight or tomorrow am.

Old 07-16-2013 | 03:00 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Awesome news. That seemed like a quick turnover time, at least compared to Chup. Keep us updated and let us know if you run into any other problems.

Old 07-16-2013 | 04:27 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Sorry for your issue. Glad you are getting good service Neutra.

ChuckJ

Old 07-18-2013 | 12:49 PM
|
Picked the car up last night. All seems good. New tranny working well. Was 9 days from drop off to pick up. Not too bad. Glad to have the car back.

Old 07-18-2013 | 01:08 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the quick turn around.
Did they care to elaborate as to what exactly happened?

Old 07-18-2013 | 01:16 PM
|
Only report I received was "the transmission failed, it was the hardware itself".

Old 07-18-2013 | 07:26 PM
Nico911 is infamous around these parts
PDK Transmission failure

I had the same case in my C2S. Aprox. after 300 miles after delivery, a "Transmission in Emergency Mode" yellow warning flashed in my car. No first gear, only reverse. Turned the car off, restarted and the warning was gone until 10 miles later. Took the car to the dealer and they connected the car to their "PIWIS computer" and cancelled the warnings. They checked with Porsche and apparently did reset of the "transmissionīs software". A couple of hundred miles after, the same problem resurfaced. Again I took the car to the dealer and they checked on Porscheīs information data center which said that we should wait for an update of the PIWIS software that was being worked on and would be available in Feb/2013. Apparently the current version was not available to handle some kind of sensor diagnosis (sorry I donīt remember all the details). Meanwhile, they changed the transmission oil (in case there was some kind of alien particles). 100 miles later: same story! Finally, the PIWIS update was available in Feb and the problem was solved. My car is about to reach 2000 miles and still going strong!

Old 12-23-2016 | 09:00 PM
Monster ink is infamous around these parts
I just experienced a similar situation. This morning as I started my 2012 Panamera up ,the check engine light came on along with the fault transmission light. My vehicle would not drive or reverse. Can anyone help with identifying whats happening?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 991 C2S Transmission fail