Maxflo mufflers vs headers, which gives better sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:05 PM
dr bit is infamous around these parts
Maxflo mufflers vs headers, which gives better sound

Want to enhance sound to my CS leaving PSE intact, I'd like to know what would be better to mod, the headers or side mufflers, I thought of Fabspeed.
Any of these options would be accompanied with their comp intake.
I've read in different threads most people goes for the side mufflers, some others for the headers, don't know which of these options would be better for increasing sound. Performance will be nice if I can improve it, but not my main concern.

Last edited by dr bit; 07-14-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Switching out the side mufflers should give some added sound. As far as headers is concerned, I'm not sure if this would potentially void the factory warranty. I think anything past the catalytic converters (the mufflers) would be fine to change as far as warranty is concerned.

Does the PSE only change the centre muffler? The side mufflers being the same as the stock exhaust?

There is someone at the other forum that had PSE and wanted more sound. This person added the Fabspeed MaxFlo mufflers and was happy with the added sound. There is also videos with sound before and after.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
I've seen all videos related to 991 exhaust systems, here, rennlist, YouTube, everywhere thousand of times, but you can't really hear the difference as if you were right next to the car. But thanks so much for the advice.

The PSE is based in the center muffler, that one I'm not touching, maxflo mufflers mentioned at the other post are the side mufflers I'm talking here.
First time I hear about voiding factory warranty because of the headers, but maybe someone from Fabspeed or Porsche might let us know.

Some Fabspeed dealer told me to get the headers, another dealer told me to get maxflo side mufflers, that the reason why I'm confused...

Last edited by dr bit; 07-14-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Personally I'd leave the headers alone, besides potential warranty issues it also won't really do much for sound. Your best bet for a big sound increase is to switch out the center muffler with a vacuum valve controlled center muffler bypass x-pipe... like the FVD Brombacher one, that alone will give you 50% more sound - deeper and more aggressive.

Sharkwerks just released their side free flow exhaust that deletes the side mufflers. That will give you a serious sound bump as well.

The x-pipe option will give you a small power gain as well... probably around 10-15HP.

If you track, the deletion of the side muffler cans will divert heat away from the rear tires which is another major bonus.

I'm running the FVD Brombacher x-pipe right now and love the sound. I'll be adding the Sharkwerks exhaust this week as well, and report back.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 AM
What you are saying sounds pretty logical, I would love to get rid of side cans (heat and weight).
The reason why I got PSE system (3k) is because I want to leave everything looking original Porsche, that means no strange button to control vacuum valves, with PSE that you do with button on console and also want to keep Porsche sport tips.
As I'm concerned FVD Bromacher it is not compatible with Porsche tips. And I don't know if it does take the PSE vacuum control for opening it's valves or you have to add their own.
If you know anything about this please let me know.
I was about to get Fabspeed options, but I guess I will keep doing my research science I got the info you are providing.
Thanks H

Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Based on your question (keeping PSE) then the most sound would be via the header swap out. You will gain sound via the side muffler bypass pipes (Agency Power has them) but if you must have more sound and keep the PSE; headers are the way to go. You will get power too via this mod as shown via the Fab Speed and Agency Power dynos. The x pipe which would remove your PSE also shows gains including the removal of the dreaded minor tq loss around 3-4k on the stock 991 cars.

I have PSE so Im not getting rid of the center muffler which is the PSE part but will do the side muffler bypass with Agency Power pipes. I really like the sound of the PSE already being not too loud and not too tame so the muffler bypass pipes should be the perfect bump.... for me.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Vic55
Based on your question (keeping PSE) then the most sound would be via the header swap out. You will gain sound via the side muffler bypass pipes (Agency Power has them) but if you must have more sound and keep the PSE; headers are the way to go. You will get power too via this mod as shown via the Fab Speed and Agency Power dynos. The x pipe which would remove your PSE also shows gains including the removal of the dreaded minor tq loss around 3-4k on the stock 991 cars.

I have PSE so Im not getting rid of the center muffler which is the PSE part but will do the side muffler bypass with Agency Power pipes. I really like the sound of the PSE already being not too loud and not too tame so the muffler bypass pipes should be the perfect bump.... for me.

Do you know if the side muffler bypass cause any drone?
Design Tek it too, it is a pretty inexpensive option and takes weight and heat off, but drone is my concern.
Would appreciate if you let me know if you find out anything about it or the results in your own experience.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dr bit
Do you know if the side muffler bypass cause any drone?
Design Tek it too, it is a pretty inexpensive option and takes weight and heat off, but drone is my concern.
Would appreciate if you let me know if you find out anything about it or the results in your own experience.

Keep this thread alive, Ill get the mufflers pulled tomorrow. Im thinking the majority of the sound comes from the center muffler (PSE) and the headers. Drone is a very subjective sound IMHO- I am relatively immune to drone having very loud cars so you can take my feedback with a grain of salt.

Ive listened to the Agency Power vids of the car on a dyno with just the sides pulled vs stock- not a huge sound change externally but that again is a video and it wasnt shot from inside the cabin.

Edit: I checked the Design Tek site--- their descriptor mimmicks Agency Powers verbage. I think they are reselling it. They even mention Agency Power in their x pipe replacement product as well.

Last edited by Vic55; 07-15-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
What you are saying sounds pretty logical, I would love to get rid of side cans (heat and weight).
The reason why I got PSE system (3k) is because I want to leave everything looking original Porsche, that means no strange button to control vacuum valves, with PSE that you do with button on console and also want to keep Porsche sport tips.
As I'm concerned FVD Bromacher it is not compatible with Porsche tips. And I don't know if it does take the PSE vacuum control for opening it's valves or you have to add their own.
If you know anything about this please let me know.
I was about to get Fabspeed options, but I guess I will keep doing my research science I got the info you are providing.
Thanks H
The FVD Brombacher is a perfect OEM fit. And the valves work with the PSE button. It is also perfectly compatible with the stock sport tips, that's what I'm running.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Vic55
Keep this thread alive, Ill get the mufflers pulled tomorrow. Im thinking the majority of the sound comes from the center muffler (PSE) and the headers. Drone is a very subjective sound IMHO- I am relatively immune to drone having very loud cars so you can take my feedback with a grain of salt.

Ive listened to the Agency Power vids of the car on a dyno with just the sides pulled vs stock- not a huge sound change externally but that again is a video and it wasnt shot from inside the cabin.

Edit: I checked the Design Tek site--- their descriptor mimmicks Agency Powers verbage. I think they are reselling it. They even mention Agency Power in their x pipe replacement product as well.
Great, please let me know how it went

Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium

The FVD Brombacher is a perfect OEM fit. And the valves work with the PSE button. It is also perfectly compatible with the stock sport tips, that's what I'm running.
I read in another post you were going to upload a video, would you let me know when you do it, I'm pretty interested as well.

Which fvd system do you recommend for me?
I read there is one that eliminates the side mufflers, is it the one you have?
Cheers
H

Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
my advice would be not order the PSE and get an aftermarket exhaust. Thats what i did, I when with FVD exhaust, it deleted the secondary mufflers and zero DRONE, with around 20% louder then PSE. not to mention save like 40 pounds to the rear and HP gains. I posted vid before on here, haven't had the time to film a drive by yet. Fitment is perfectand no CEL error

Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by advantyper
my advice would be not order the PSE and get an aftermarket exhaust. Thats what i did, I when with FVD exhaust, it deleted the secondary mufflers and zero DRONE, with around 20% louder then PSE. not to mention save like 40 pounds to the rear and HP gains. I posted vid before on here, haven't had the time to film a drive by yet. Fitment is perfectand no CEL error
Unfortunately there is no way I can change the order at this time, besides whichever aftermarket option I get, I'd like to control it with console button and keep the sport tips oem that comes w PSE.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 AM

I read in another post you were going to upload a video, would you let me know when you do it, I'm pretty interested as well.

Which fvd system do you recommend for me?
I read there is one that eliminates the side mufflers, is it the one you have?
Cheers
H
Ok, now after some research I think I get what you have, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Fvd brombacher center muffler bypass x pipe BES 991 150 00SKR

This one works either PSE button and takes oem tips.

Plus

Sharkwerks side mufflers bypass

After almost 2 months of research I think your proposal Is the one that suits me better, keeping sport exhaust button and oem tips.

Please let me know how does your car sounds when you add the sharkwerkers, it might be too loud for me, maybe not... I guess I might begin like you w the fvd x pipe.

Where can I see the vid you uploaded w this mod?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I suspect that you do not want the side muffler bypass AND an aftermarket X-pipe, unless all you care about is saving weight (in which case, the Akrapovic will likely be the lightest)

Remember that with the x-pipe, when the valves are open, almost all the exhaust goes through the bypass, which means the side mufflers are hardly used at all. This means that if you bypass the side mufflers, you'll get louder sound ONLY when the valves are closed, and it will sound the same open. You might as well just skip the valves in that case.

What you likely want is either the FVD or Cargraphics center muffler (both are similar designs, I like the Cargraphic better, since it looks like a better flow path when it is closed) and the stock side mufflers.

It is actually good that you got PSE, because the standard Carrera S exhaust's valve control is a little weird. PSE is on or off (except when you have it open, it closes a bit between 1000-3000 rpm to keep drone down under light throttle.) The Standard carrera S exhaust opens at idle (huh!?) and then closes, then opens at 3400 rpm. In most driving, it sounds identical open or closed.

I suspect this means that I'll end up paying $400 for the remote valve control override from Cargraphics or FVD later... or paying the dealership to program in the PSE option (with the button in the console) for $1000 or so. :/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maxflo mufflers vs headers, which gives better sound