Anyone else with an annoying dashboard squeak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bates1325
i have this problem in the front left vent as well drives me the F*** crazy!! dealer keeps saying that they don't hear anything
+1 on the front left vent noise and the dealers response.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:30 PM
hepmonk is infamous around these partshepmonk is infamous around these parts
Front left something squeaks for me too, a lot.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:41 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Stay tuned next week. Good hope the dealership is going to find a fix as they clearly heard the squeaking...

Old 05-15-2014, 03:56 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
mine comes and goes, very annoying

Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Pparana25 is infamous around these parts
Any word on this, my car has it so does my friends. We both track are cars heavily.

We both have sport chrono. He has an s with PDK, I have a base manual. Dealer looked at mine wants to put chassis ears on it, would like to give them some info if anyone figures this one out.

Thanks again.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
(Un)fortunately(?) my squeaking disappeared!!
After I dropped by at the dealership, got a tech to drive the car and listen to it and got an appointment for the next Tuesday, I took the car to the track on the week end. We also had cold weather for a coupe of days... and when I drove the car to the dealership, the squeaking was gone. I left the car for 3 days -got a loaner- and they took the car for multiple test drives, left it under the sun, etc. but the squeaking did not come back

The dealership agreed that the next time it happens I could bring the car immediately and they would work on it right away while it is squeaking.
I do not know if I should be happy or not. I am pretty sure that the squeaking will come back eventually but it will be fixed.
So maybe we just need to keep giving our cars a good beating on the track to make annoying noises disappear

I'll post whenever it happens again and we find out where it came from.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Our rattles are in the footwell or dash, seems to be more towards the pedal assembly or in that area. The squeaks started on mine after a day at Daytona, then went away. Then came back with a vengeance after a two day stint at Sebring. I have just over 5500 miles, of which 3800 are track. My friend only has 2300 miles, prob. 800 track. His squeak is not full time yet. I think something must be breaking loose under the stress, or piece of plastic fatigued. My car is going back in on the 16th for some other issues, so they will work on this then. Until then I may wear my helmet around town because it is totally making me insane.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:20 PM
That's a pretty intense use of the car at the track! I am ~4,500 miles on the track with my current 991, but 16,500 more mile on the road in the meantime!
While we wait to find out about our respective squeaking, would you mind sharing if you run a specific setup for your car at the track (only a very short thread hijacking )? I am always looking for additional tips or suggestions.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:48 AM
Lllwlf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hepmonk
Front left something squeaks for me too, a lot.
I have this one as well. Can't tell what it is.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
That's a pretty intense use of the car at the track! I am ~4,500 miles on the track with my current 991, but 16,500 more mile on the road in the meantime!
While we wait to find out about our respective squeaking, would you mind sharing if you run a specific setup for your car at the track (only a very short thread hijacking )? I am always looking for additional tips or suggestions.
I run bone stock, other than a track alignment. The base cars without PTV do pretty well on consumables. S models, or any with PTV tend to melt the rears, switching to track pads seems to solve it. Car is great other than a squeak or two. I am really surprised at the beating this poor thing takes and never complains. Will need to get some slicks for the summer, I melted my tires off on Friday. Had this car since September and saw track duty within 500 miles.

My friend and I setup small track days with open track format for seasoned drivers so we tend to get a lot of time ( not uncommon to get 250 mi in a day). So the miles click on fast.

We have a small event at RRR July 18th, limited to 20 cars. We have a few spots left if anyone is interested just pm me. Should be mostly Porsches. That event runs 375.00 track is hot 9 to 12, then 1 to 5. Run as much as you like. We charge by the car not the driver so if you have 2 people with one car it's no issues. Passengers are free. And yes since it is a small event you can run in shorts and a tee shirt.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:22 PM
naples991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Concur!
That dealer is full of ****! Talk to the service manager. If that doesn't work start buying your cars in East Hartford at Hoffman.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by masyadongmalibog
My dealer discovered that the gas tank rubs to the firewall at the back of the dashboard on my June 2012 Porsche 991 CS. After putting felt on that area, viola, no more squeaks!!! Just soild pors ride feeling everytime.
^This!!! The squeaks were finally clearly audible while the car was at the dealership. They claimed they had noticed the issue on a few 981/991's. Same fix. No more Squeaks. Happy as a pig in sh*t

Here's the description on the invoice (this was a free warranty fix of course):

Old 09-21-2014, 06:38 PM
dieselophile is infamous around these parts
My rattle originated from the Sport Chrono unit (drove me nuts), the noise disappears when I touch the chrono unit and dampen its vibration (theres a little too much play within its housing), now that I know where it comes from, I can stop the annoying noise when it occurs by adjusting the unit by lightly pushing and making it a bit more snug.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:43 PM
SxxB is infamous around these partsSxxB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SxxB
I can't really figure out exactly where in the dashboard it originates, but I would guess that it is closer to the windshield on the driver side. Super annoying. Anyone else had a similar issue?
Believe it or not the squeak on my ca came from driver side strut assembly and was propogating through the chassis and A pillar into the cabin. Sounded like window seal squeaking.