Anyone else with an annoying dashboard squeak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
SxxB is infamous around these partsSxxB is infamous around these parts
Anyone else with an annoying dashboard squeak?

I can't really figure out exactly where in the dashboard it originates, but I would guess that it is closer to the windshield on the driver side. Super annoying. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, you are not alone - I have it too and its really annoying.
Sadly I cannot find it or replicate it to save my life.
I now find myself driving around just waiting for it to start.

I'm ready to tear the car apart to preserve my sanity.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
I am too OCD to own a car that has annoyances like that.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
Do you have an All-Wheel-Drive model? My squeak sounded like a mouse running on a treadmill in need of oil. It seemed to come from the area under the Sport Chrono.

If your issue is similar, and you have an AWD model, it could be a loose harness for a cable that runs from the transmission at the rear of the car through the center console, and up through the dash board. My mechanic (Carmelo) at EuroCalssic Porsche in Midlothian, VA diagnosed the problem for me without even driving the car. It completely took care of the squeak.

Of course, now I have an annoying little rattle that I think is associated with the sun roof, but I think that's common and easily fixed by the dealer. I'm going to call to set up an appointment tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 PM
SxxB is infamous around these partsSxxB is infamous around these parts
I have a c2s. I am planning to go to the dealer but I'm afraid that they will
Say that they didn't hear anything and I will waste a lot of my time for nothing

Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 PM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SergePorsche
Do you have an All-Wheel-Drive model? My squeak sounded like a mouse running on a treadmill in need of oil. It seemed to come from the area under the Sport Chrono.

If your issue is similar, and you have an AWD model, it could be a loose harness for a cable that runs from the transmission at the rear of the car through the center console, and up through the dash board. My mechanic (Carmelo) at EuroCalssic Porsche in Midlothian, VA diagnosed the problem for me without even driving the car. It completely took care of the squeak.

Of course, now I have an annoying little rattle that I think is associated with the sun roof, but I think that's common and easily fixed by the dealer. I'm going to call to set up an appointment tomorrow.
I complained to my dealer about a rattle by the rear window, passenger side, and was told that warranty doesn't cover rattle or squeaks after the first month of ownership!! This is from Porsche of Fairfield in CT.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 PM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
yeap, upper left dash, near the speaker grill/vent and one in the back passenager side

Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Squeaks and seat rattles are a given !! After a few porsches one feels right at home with it. One can OCD over it but even if fixed it will return .
The easiest thing to do is to simply accept it and focus on all the great aspects of the car.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 AM
DKC
DKC is infamous around these parts
It's my frist Porsche and the multitude of rattles is totally distracting me from enjoying the car. I've had rattles from:
1. sunroof (glass) - fixed - loose wire harness
2. drivers door - fixed - loose panel
3. driver's seat plastic cover over the hinge
4. passenger b-pillar
5. passenger door
It's so annoying!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
I had a really bad squeek originating someplace in the dash when the car was very new. It really annoyed me.
In desperation I pushed the dash in a few places hard - when pushing in the direction of the airvents on the drivers side I heard a distinct "click". Squeek gone.
Obviously one of the clips was not holding that side of the dash.
Might want to give that a try...

Another source that is easy to fix are the plastic seat belt buckles in front (the part that is connected to the seat frame). They are a bit short on their stems so they can rub against the leather of the seat when used. This not only squeeks but obviously does the leather no good.
Loosen a bolt that holds the stalk onto the seat frame and then you can rotate the plastic bit further back so it no longer touches anything.

Sun visors can squeek against the roof liner - just reposition them slightly and that tends to go away.

All of the seat belt reals can rattle inside. Only way is to open up the retract mechanism and place a dab of silicon grease on the mechanics - that stops the rattle.

The back seat rest tilt mechansim as well as some internals related to the seat position adjustment can also rattle (usualy at certain RPM). Same solution here (with the grease) but it does require removal of the seats. Best left to the dealer unless you are like me and don't really trust a mechanic (don't ask, many long stories).

Driver and PAX doors contain a few parts that can easily rattle. Silicon grease is a great fix here too. The door panels come of easy (locate three screws under the small plastic trim pieces (use a plastic lever to pop them off - start with the one under the handle).
One of the issues is the sound system. If you have the basic system or Bose too much bass is routed to the speakers in the doors turning the entire door panel into a big speaker membrane or sorts. That not only sounds horrible but causes parts of the door mechanism to vibrate in tune. Isolating the speaker itself does not help as this is an accoustic problem. if you are handly with these things you can stiffen the door panel with wooden stiffners you can make youself (wood works well as it's quite neutral). Probably best though to solve the problem using electronics - prevent too much bass from getting to these speakers in the first place (which is what the Burmester does) and instead use the center woofer in the dash for that (not fitted in the basic sound system).

Rainier

Old 07-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Mr.Boon is infamous around these parts
Passenger seat creaks when moving around in it. Drivers seat doesn't.

Also the drivers door handle doesnt feel as tights/solid as the passengers door.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Rainer - get tips on trouble shooting and solutions. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
I complained to my dealer about a rattle by the rear window, passenger side, and was told that warranty doesn't cover rattle or squeaks after the first month of ownership!! This is from Porsche of Fairfield in CT.
Utter nonsense on their part.
If your product starts rattling within 6-12 months, and you can't be bothered to address it, do not fabricate some idiotic "policy" in order to place the onus back on the customer.

Porsche has clearly had an issue with their trim clips (which has been well documented on these forums) and this dealer is unwilling to absorb the labor costs that are involved to rectify the issue.

Escalate this if you have to, and let PCNA know how their dealer network is treating you.

Last edited by dux; 07-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dux

Utter nonsense on their part.
If your product starts rattling within 6-12 months, and you can't be bothered to address it, do not fabricate some idiot "policy" in order to place the onus back on the customer.

Porsche has clearly had an issue with their trim clips (which has been well documented on these forums) and this dealer is unwilling to absorb the labor costs that are involved to rectify the issue.

Escalate this is you have to, and let PCNA know how their dealer network is treating you.
Concur!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
masyadongmalibog is infamous around these parts
Smile Porsche 991 squeaks

My dealer discovered that the gas tank rubs to the firewall at the back of the dashboard on my June 2012 Porsche 991 CS. After putting felt on that area, viola, no more squeaks!!! Just soild pors ride feeling everytime.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else with an annoying dashboard squeak?