Cargraphics X-pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Video Cargraphics X-pipe

I've been running the Cargraphics X pipe for a few weeks.

It's a very high quality product and very fairly priced - 1995 Euro or about $2650 in USD. It includes valves, controlled by the factory valve control system.

The way it works is that it replaces the center muffler on the car - PSE or non-PSE. The side mufflers are the same between them on the Carrera S or 3.8l, so it will sound the same on both. Both the PSE and non-PSE center mufflers are restrictive and baffled without straight through pipes, etc. The PSE does have an X pipe and a bypass but it is not a straight and has an expansion chamber which is good for sound control but bad for flow.

The Cargraphics X pipe will fit both the 3.4l and 3.8l, but the non-PSE 3.4l doesn't have valves and would have to figure something out - Gert at Carnewal has a remote for about $200. The valve control is a bit of a mystery - lots of people will tell you that the Sport Button controls the valves if you don't have PSE, and that is not the case.

PSE turns the valves on and off and then automatically opens them at about 3300 rpm. This is great for this product, it would keep it nice and quiet normally but would open up when you really romped on it or when you hit the button.

A non-PSE 3.8l means that the valves are not manually controlled. They open at idle and close from 5mph until you hit 3300 rpm and then they remain open until you come off the throttle. You can hear that in the video, there are annotations for it. The only weird part is that on non-PSE cars, the valves open at idle and it's a little obnoxious... not horrible but definitely louder than you might expect. That said, it's nice and quiet once you are on the move and no louder than stock at cruise on the freeway. You get maybe 10-15% more sound during normal driving under 3300 rpm.

When the valves open up, it's pretty aggressive and loud. Sounds pretty nice but it is loud and a marked contrast - unlike the factory exhaust where you can barely tell where the valves open up again. Still, it's perfect if you want a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde kind of operation, it is loud aggressive and fun when you stomp on it.

This video was captured in and out of the car. You don't quite get the magnitude of sound - it is decently loud when you are on the throttle. Try to listen to the contrast between open and closed - there are a few transitions.

Attached Images    
Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 AM
dr bit is infamous around these parts
Do you know which x pipe between cargraphic or FVD is louder?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
^ they should be roughly the same.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM
jj911c2 is infamous around these parts
Kitw - really useful video for understanding how this works on a non-PSE car. Thanks for posting!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM
yxc145 is infamous around these parts
How is this Cargraphic X center silencer compare to their Sports center silencer, the two box version?
The two box version says it will increase performance. Does the X pipe version also?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:23 PM
hova00 is a jewel in the roughhova00 is a jewel in the roughhova00 is a jewel in the roughhova00 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for taking the time to make the video for us.
Sounds great!!

Old 08-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by yxc145
How is this Cargraphic X center silencer compare to their Sports center silencer, the two box version?
The two box version says it will increase performance. Does the X pipe version also?
They rate them the same, performance wise. They definitely create a much straighter path through the exhaust than the stock mufflers do.

Notice how the factory PSE has expansion chambers where the pipe ends and begins? Those are typically terrible for flow.

Will it make power? I dunno. But, the Cargraphics setups definitely flow better than PSE.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by kitw
They rate them the same, performance wise. They definitely create a much straighter path through the exhaust than the stock mufflers do.

Notice how the factory PSE has expansion chambers where the pipe ends and begins? Those are typically terrible for flow.

Will it make power? I dunno. But, the Cargraphics setups definitely flow better than PSE.
Thank you for the graph/picture explanation. But I was actually talking about the CARGRAPHIC Two Box Center Sport Silencer. Which looks very similar to the PSE. Unless they are almost identical designs, which is why you are showing me the PSE picture.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Thank you for the graph/picture explanation. But I was actually talking about the CARGRAPHIC Two Box Center Sport Silencer. Which looks very similar to the PSE. Unless they are almost identical designs, which is why you are showing me the PSE picture.
Yup, I got that.

I don't know if the two box is similar or not. I haven't seen inside the Cargraphics piece.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't know if the two box is similar or not. I haven't seen inside the Cargraphics piece. [/QUOTE]

The reason I asked is because on Ebay there is a used Cargraphic Two Box Sport silencer for sale. I am debating if I should get that instead of the X pipe version you have.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I don't know if the two box is similar or not. I haven't seen inside the Cargraphics piece.
The reason I asked is because on Ebay there is a used Cargraphic Two Box Sport silencer for sale. I am debating if I should get that instead of the X pipe version you have.
Haha, I saw that. I was actually thinking about buying it to compare to the X pipe and sell the one I liked less.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Haha, I saw that. I was actually thinking about buying it to compare to the X pipe and sell the one I liked less.
do that! and sell one to me cheaper.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:59 PM
After running the x pipe for a couple of weeks, I have to say, the power delivery feels a lot less lumpy. Need to get a dyno to be sure.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM
After running the x pipe for a couple of weeks, I have to say, the power delivery feels a lot less lumpy. Need to get a dyno to be sure.
Just got response from CARGRAPHIC.
The 2 box version is not as loud as the X Pipe version. Same performance output.
Not sure why they would even come up with the 2 box version which is almost identical to the PSE.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Just got response from CARGRAPHIC.
The 2 box version is not as loud as the X Pipe version. Same performance output.
Not sure why they would even come up with the 2 box version which is almost identical to the PSE.
When the valves are open, I am pretty sure that there is a lot of room between the x pipe and the PSE for a 2 box version. In my opinion, the car is almost too loud with the valves open. Almost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cargraphics X-pipe