Roof transport system. Allowing your 991 to be the minivan it always wanted to be.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 PM
nmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud of
Smile Roof transport system. Allowing your 991 to be the minivan it always wanted to be.

My 991 is my only car so it is pressed into doing everything. Strangely 911 turns out to be a great all-rounder because of those silly back seats. They do have their limits however and that is why I got the roof transport system. It takes about 5 minutes to attach or detach with the included torque drive.

Here are some photos of the racks in action with the kayaks holders. I have a bike rack and ski/snow board rack as well so more photos coming of those.

I put the kayaks on this morning and drove up to the lake. Draw a bit of attention… seemed every other car on the highway was taking photos of us. Someone even sent me a photo of us that someone else had taken on the highway they had seen posted on FB. That was only an hour after I put them on the car.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof trans 1.jpg
Views:	1773
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	267433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof trans 2.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	267434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof trans 3.jpg
Views:	3011
Size:	846.4 KB
ID:	267435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof trans 4.jpg
Views:	5405
Size:	734.6 KB
ID:	267436  
Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Nice pics! Love the last one with the kayaks!

I thought about getting the roof transport system for taking a spare set of wheels to the track, but the weight limitation would not allow it. Great option for sport gear though !

Old 08-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Mr.Boon is infamous around these parts
Do you have the black glass sunroof?

Kinda seems that way from the pics.

Is this the official porsche transportation system? if not, which one?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 AM
nmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mr.Boon
Do you have the black glass sunroof?

Kinda seems that way from the pics.

Is this the official porsche transportation system? if not, which one?
Yes it is the glass sunroof and yes it is the official Porsche transport system

Old 08-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Luv the looks and utility is undeniable. Would be great to see more pics carrying more stuff ?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Mr.Boon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nmurray22
Yes it is the glass sunroof and yes it is the official Porsche transport system
Epic! So it will fit on my car too. I wanna use this to transport my snowboards in the winter. After removing it from the car, were there any marks? Or did you notice the rubbers in the roof were looking worse?

Also, how much did you pay for it?

Ive found: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._ExteriorRacks for 480$ and then

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._ExteriorRacks and 99$ for the snowboard add-on thing.

Did you buy the same?

Last edited by Mr.Boon; 08-04-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM
barihunk is infamous around these partsbarihunk is infamous around these parts
I too am curious about how it works if you attach/remove it regularly from the car, since the sunroof is nonfunctional when the roof rack is attached. Also curious as to where the best deal can be had. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Boon
Epic! So it will fit on my car too. I wanna use this to transport my snowboards in the winter. After removing it from the car, were there any marks? Or did you notice the rubbers in the roof were looking worse?

Also, how much did you pay for it?

Ive found: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._ExteriorRacks for 480$ and then

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._ExteriorRacks and 99$ for the snowboard add-on thing.

Did you buy the same?

Non of the system touches the car aside from the little mounts that pop up from the roof of the car so no marks are left at all. The rubbers fit back in place after just like new.

I got mine from Porsche (ordered with the car) I think I paid $525

Old 08-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by barihunk
I too am curious about how it works if you attach/remove it regularly from the car, since the sunroof is nonfunctional when the roof rack is attached. Also curious as to where the best deal can be had. Thanks for sharing!
The sunroof continues to be fully functional. I guess some attachments would get in the way.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I don't think you can open sunroof with these on though...

Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 AM
fueledbymetal is infamous around these parts
Awesome, thanks for posting! I'd like to see it with the bike rack too when you get a chance. I'm going to be ordering soon and plan to use it for bike hauling duty. I'm especially curious how fast you can cruise with bikes mounted. On my current daily driver I use a hitch-mount rack and can comfortably cruise at 80, which is great for the races I drive 4+ hours to.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
Nice pic OP... I have been considering for ski's/bikes and I think that may have done it for me!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:30 AM
cbrett is infamous around these parts
here's a pic of mine. not that great of a pic do to the shadows. my observations:

the actual rack is very solid.

the rack is pretty easy to take on and off. 5-10 min. 15-20 min with bike racks.

you can only crack the sunroof open or it will hit the rear crossbar.

the porsche bike racks are not the greatest. it is a really tight fit to get the front tires into the trays. i'll probably by some yakima bike racks to install.

definitely get a lot of looks going down the road with 2 mountain bikes on a 911.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bikes.JPG
Views:	704
Size:	898.5 KB
ID:	267600  
Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Saw this yesterday at Caffeine & Octane.

Carrying your kayaks on a 911 is definitely übercool compared to this option:

Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by cbrett
here's a pic of mine. not that great of a pic do to the shadows. my observations:

the actual rack is very solid.

the rack is pretty easy to take on and off. 5-10 min. 15-20 min with bike racks.

you can only crack the sunroof open or it will hit the rear crossbar.

the porsche bike racks are not the greatest. it is a really tight fit to get the front tires into the trays. i'll probably by some yakima bike racks to install.

definitely get a lot of looks going down the road with 2 mountain bikes on a 911.
That is awesome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Roof transport system. Allowing your 991 to be the minivan it always wanted to be.