Tire Pressures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Compukidd is infamous around these parts
Tire Pressures

Hi ...need your help to clarify what tire pressure I should be running. I have the 20" Carrera S wheels/tires. My fronts are at 36 and my left rear is at 42 and dealer set up the right rear at 45. Is this for a reason?
Also the whole "comfort ride" pressure setting. Is this going to hurt or help me with the rough NJ roads?
Lastly, full load vs half load....I greatly appreciate any assistance.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
I hope this (and the embedded links) help..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...revisited.html

Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Wow thanks! looks like 31 front 34 rear is the way to go!

Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Compukidd
Wow thanks! looks like 31 front 34 rear is the way to go!
I reviewed my earlier thread and the answer is yes and no. After using full, partial and comfort I went back to partial. Comfort while providing some relief from bumps and jars tend to accelerate tire wear. Partial full inflation seems to work for me now. The handling issues seems to be a product of ambient temperature. I'm certain that I will continue to monitor the handling, comfort and tire wear for a long time to come.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
I've had to play with a series of different pressures. For me 32 psi front and 38 psi rear, on cold tires, is the best compromise.

Also being in SoFL, heated roads, spirited driving, and plain hot sunny days played havoc with the actual tire pressure on my 20" tires, until I swapped out to a nitrogen fill. Now my tire pressure is rock solid.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fantom
I've had to play with a series of different pressures. For me 32 psi front and 38 psi rear, on cold tires, is the best compromise.

Also being in SoFL, heated roads, spirited driving, and plain hot sunny days played havoc with the actual tire pressure on my 20" tires, until I swapped out to a nitrogen fill. Now my tire pressure is rock solid.

As air is about 80% N and an N fill will give you about 90%N, it seems to me that the benefit of Nitrogen fill is not so much that gas but the absence of moisture. Nitrogen filling stations use dryers and desiccants to remove the moisture from the fill. The presence of moisture seems cause the pressure to rise quickly with heat,its absence seems to provide that rock steady pressure reading.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
I run 36 front and 44 rear. I do not find it uncomfortable and it reduces the tramlining effect of the wear grooves that we have in most of the highways here in the northeast.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 AM
deeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nice
31f/34r cold temp for normal driving. I have to drop down to 30f/32r cold temp for the track. Carrera S 20" wheels stock p zeros.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 AM
97c2s993 is infamous around these parts
I don't recall why this sticker is not standard on US models, something about maximum values related to safety. Nevertheless, in some non-US models this is the sticker in the door which I picked up in another thread. Summarizes clearly the recommended pressures at different load and max speed levels.

Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 AM
last night I set my TPMS to 20" summer tire comfort level partial load. I adjusted each tire until the car told me all 4 tire pressures were at zero for this setting. The pressure actually was 32/36 not the 31/34 I was expecting. the drive to work today felt a heck of a lot better than the 36/44 ride I had from the dealer. I user the car primarily on the NJ Garden State Parkway. Anyone think I should adjust the pressure down even more?
thanks!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:14 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Those numbers look fine.
It all depends on what type of ride you're looking for (personally I prefer to keep my fillings in my mouth).
Keep an eye of tire wear and you should be in good shape.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM
thank you! the rough ride was discouraging. Not to mention hard to keep my coffee in the cup!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
last night I set my TPMS to 20" summer tire comfort level partial load. I adjusted each tire until the car told me all 4 tire pressures were at zero for this setting. The pressure actually was 32/36 not the 31/34 I was expecting. the drive to work today felt a heck of a lot better than the 36/44 ride I had from the dealer. I user the car primarily on the NJ Garden State Parkway. Anyone think I should adjust the pressure down even more?
thanks!
I like 32/36 cold. They go up 2-3 lbs on the hightway and it seems perfect. I have even, reasonable wear on the original 20 in P0s at 15k miles.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:09 AM
awesome! i'll stick with this setup for a while. If I get 15K or more out of these tires, I will be very happy!

Old 08-16-2013, 02:40 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
awesome! i'll stick with this setup for a while. If I get 15K or more out of these tires, I will be very happy!
Note- I don't' track this car and seem to have had the luck of proper alignment from the factory. Some folks here have noted that their alignment was off when they got the car.

I had the car serviced today and the tech noted the good tire wear. Of course that did not stop him from adding about 6 lb all around. The difference is very noticeable on the crappy roads here, so it'll be adjusted back first thing in the morning when it is cool.

If I was flogging the car I would add a couple of lbs. The pressures seem go up a few when driving fast anyway and I seldom exceed *** on the highway so I don't worry about it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressures