911 vs. S vs. 4 vs. 4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 AM
JoeInDallas is infamous around these parts
To me the the 4 is sexier than the 2. I love the wider back end and the extra tail light bar.

I drove a 4 and a 2. I could get the rear out on the 4 (on dry), as easily as I would want to. I bought the 4 as a safety feature to kick in during an OH Sh*t moment on a mountain road when you hit that unnoticed patch of sand.

I bought the S for the more power. Wanted even more power, so I also optioned the PowerKit.

The above reflect my opinions and desires. Your opinions and desires are likely different. Drive as many variations as you can before deciding

Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Compukidd is infamous around these parts
In the end, you have to buy whichever car puts a smile on your face (permanently) Good luck in your decision.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:33 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JoeInDallas
The above reflect my opinions and desires. Your opinions and desires are likely different. Drive as many variations as you can before deciding
Good advise ! Test drive !

Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JamesKen

As far as grip on wet pavement or snow the 4S has a lot more grip. On normal roads the 2S has more grip then I can handle.
Disagree, there's not enough difference in tire width, compound or stance to offer "a lot more grip".
If you are talking traction on the other hand, c4 is king, especially in less then ideal conditions !

Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 PM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
The weight difference between the 2 and 4 is around 100 lbs. Negligible. So if you like the big butt and don't mind the xtra cost, get the 4.
The difference between the base and S is the power band. For the base, the power is in the upper rev band. For the S, it is in the mid rev band. The S is going to be loafing at a lower rpm at the same speed as the base. Again, if you want a little more performance and don't mind the cost, get the S.
The base C2 is a great car. The other models add features which you may or not think are improvements to the base. All variants are great.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lotf
the weight difference between the 2 and 4 is around 100 lbs. Negligible. So if you like the big butt and don't mind the xtra cost, get the 4.
The difference between the base and s is the power band. For the base, the power is in the upper rev band. For the s, it is in the mid rev band. The s is going to be loafing at a lower rpm at the same speed as the base. Again, if you want a little more performance and don't mind the cost, get the s.
The base c2 is a great car. The other models add features which you may or not think are improvements to the base. All variants are great.
+911

Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM
JoeInDallas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LotF
The weight difference between the 2 and 4 is around 100 lbs. Negligible. So if you like the big butt and don't mind the xtra cost, get the 4.
The difference between the base and S is the power band. For the base, the power is in the upper rev band. For the S, it is in the mid rev band. The S is going to be loafing at a lower rpm at the same speed as the base. Again, if you want a little more performance and don't mind the cost, get the S.
The base C2 is a great car. The other models add features which you may or not think are improvements to the base. All variants are great.
Very well said.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LotF
Well said. I got the C2S because I wanted the extra power (coming from a M3) and I didn't think I could justify spending the extra $$ on the 4S (although I agree it looks a slight bit better). I didn't have an issue driving the M3 through the winter in the Northeast with a set of snow tires, and hoping I won't have any issues with the C2S. At the end of the day, it's a personal decision so the best advice (given by others here) is to test drive each variation and make the decision that you're going to be absolutely happy with.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:40 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by bccars
Disagree, there's not enough difference in tire width, compound or stance to offer "a lot more grip".
If you are talking traction on the other hand, c4 is king, especially in less then ideal conditions !
I don't see a difference in the terms grip or traction when talking about car handling

Also does Porsche somehow defy the laws of physics? Whats with all the wider tires equal more grip / traction comments.

Last edited by JamesKen; 08-21-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by JamesKen
I don't see a difference in the terms grip or traction when talking about car handling

Also does Porsche somehow defy the laws of physics? Whats with all the wider tires equal more grip / traction comments.

The gist of it:

Traction is how much power the car can put into forward motion through the tires. (in case of the C4 obviously significantly more than C2 because it has 4 DRIVEN wheels/tyres)

Grip is how much speed it can carry through corner, irrelevant of power application. (in case C4 more or less the same as C2, because both cars have 4 similar wheels/tyres)

Last edited by bccars; 08-22-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Randy Post's review of Best Driver's car...this time 4S...

http://m.motortrend.com/features/per...enders_part_2/

Video:

Last edited by Fester; 08-22-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
hmm.

Originally Posted by csufl
I am usually at Cayenne forum. Been looking at varies 911 models. My questions are:
1. Any significant reason to upgrade to S, 4, and 4S?
2. Any Sound difference with PSE?
3. Any handling difference between RWD & S in 911? I don't do track or see snow in Southern California.
The horizontal light bar across the rear in the S models caught my eyes, just trying to see any other potential benefits upgrade to a S or 4S.
Thanks~
I just drove the 991 4S PDK on track - very impressive (I have a 991 manual). The grip is better with all wheel drive and the handling is 99% as good. The additional power of the 3.8 is nice, but the upgraded brakes of the S are a bigger advantage IMHO. And the sport exhaust is a BIG deal. You either don't care or can't live without it - no middle ground.

All depends on your needs/preferences/budget. Good luck

DRP

Old 08-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by drspeed

I just drove the 991 4S PDK on track - very impressive (I have a 991 manual). The grip is better with all wheel drive
How can grip be better, both the 2 and 4 have basically the same tyres.
Could you pls elaborate on that ?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bccars

How can grip be better, both the 2 and 4 have basically the same tyres.
Could you pls elaborate on that ?
Traction is a lot better, grip only slightly better.
In the end you can go faster in a corner with a C4(S), because of way more traction and slightly better grip. Although it's "only" 10mm per tyre, it still is 3.4% more contact with the road and together with the 44mm wider track in the rear, it definitely makes a difference, even on dry!
On wet, there's no question what's better....

Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
Physics 101.

Wider tires don't give you more grip. We are talking friction here and wider tires just spread out the downward forces over a larger area. The only variables are the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces and the downward force between the tires and the road. So you can get a softer tire or better road to increase the coefficient of friction or you can add more downward force in a heavier car or add more aero stuff to add downward force or go faster to add more downward force.

Wider tires do last longer, dissipate heat better, and spread the contact point over a larger surface which might matter if you hit a small slick spot. Wider tires are also less likely to deform which would give you more grip but I think you are fooling yourself if you think 4S tires have noticeably more grip then 2S tires.

Last edited by JamesKen; 08-23-2013 at 07:36 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 vs. S vs. 4 vs. 4S