911 vs. S vs. 4 vs. 4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
csufl is infamous around these parts
911 vs. S vs. 4 vs. 4S

I am usually at Cayenne forum. Been looking at varies 911 models. My questions are:
1. Any significant reason to upgrade to S, 4, and 4S?
2. Any Sound difference with PSE?
3. Any handling difference between RWD & S in 911? I don't do track or see snow in Southern California.
The horizontal light bar across the rear in the S models caught my eyes, just trying to see any other potential benefits upgrade to a S or 4S.
Thanks~

Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Whoa...... certainly no quick answer for number 1. Have you tried a search?

2 - Yes. Big difference. PSE is a must (IMO)

3 - Asked and answered. Search will provide results. Some feel the RWD is a better driving feel. Some like the AWD. I have a C4S for weather reasons.

Horizontal lights only the 4 models, not the S. (not sure about the 50th anniversary)

Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I drove an S today on the track My DD is a C2 and I've had it for 14 months. I could feel a difference in power as the S car accelerated. Was it significant? Is there enough of a difference to run out and trade my car in? No it wasn't for me but it may be for others.

It's similar to asking someone how sweet do they like their coffee. You have to taste it for yourself.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 PM
7Speed is infamous around these parts
RWD is more fun. the rest depends on driving conditions and appearance.

I personally prefer the S

Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
My 0.02: try an S first and then drive the others. See how they stack up for you and weigh the $$ when you consider, if you need to.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Oh no!!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
I think the S has some nice added options compare to the non S model. c2s is more fun than 4wd

Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 AM
robster1974 is infamous around these parts
Agree S is more fun. Also PSE is a must - it'll sound the same regardless of S, 4 or 4S. Enjoy

Old 08-21-2013, 06:12 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fester
Oh no!!
Heheehe

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)

Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by csufl
I am usually at Cayenne forum. Been looking at varies 911 models. My questions are:
1. Any significant reason to upgrade to S, 4, and 4S?
2. Any Sound difference with PSE?
3. Any handling difference between RWD & S in 911? I don't do track or see snow in Southern California.
The horizontal light bar across the rear in the S models caught my eyes, just trying to see any other potential benefits upgrade to a S or 4S.
Thanks~

My personal opinion, based on my needs and wants, YMMV:

-1- no, if you want a dramatic performance upgrade, get a GT3 or a Turbo
-2- Not much, 3.4 screams a bit higher pitched, racier than the throatier 38
-3- Haven't driven the AWD, but logic dictates that would be more understeered and less accurate than the RWD. 3.4 might be a bit lighter weight, hence a bit more tossable than the 3.8 ?

Conclusion: If you want the big ***, get the C4, if you want the purest carrera experience, get the C2. Don't wast money on the S. If you want the ultimate 911 experience get the GT3, if you want the ultimate power get the Turbo.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 AM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
The C2/2S is the way to go unless you absolutely must have the wider hips of the C4/4S. While the 4's have noticeably more grip, you'd have to be insane to drive it at the limits beyond what the C2 can handle under poor weather conditions.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by flyanddive
While the 4's have noticeably more grip, you'd have to be insane to drive it at the limits beyond what the C2 can handle under poor weather conditions.
Don't buy a 4 to have more grip, grip is more or less the same between the 2 and the 4.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
csufl is infamous around these parts
Hi Guys,
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Looks like the C2 guys prefer their C2s, S guys prefer their Ss. Not much love for the 4 or 4S lol.
Personally I like the "big butt" can not lie style with LED light bar across the rear, more aggressive stand. But struggling with the extra $$$ to justify it. As for handling, I am very sure it will outhandles anything i drive right now- both vehicles are at least 4 inches off the ground... A minivan & Cayenne lol Actually I am renting a C2 with basic set up suspension & 20" wheels to "feeling" it.
Any recommendation how I should test drive this car to get most out of it?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by csufl
Any recommendation how I should test drive this car to get most out of it?
Push hard on the peddle on the right.

I like the fatter look of the 4S also but there is only 1 inch difference. At my dealer they had a 2S and 4S next to one another. There was a difference in looks but it was pretty small. If they were not next to one another I don't think you would know which one was wider.

As far as grip on wet pavement or snow the 4S has a lot more grip. On normal roads the 2S has more grip then I can handle.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bccars

Don't buy a 4 to have more grip, grip is more or less the same between the 2 and the 4.
Disagree... Even on dry the 4 has slightly more grip, not only because the AWD, but more due to the wider track and wider tyres.. When conditions get moist, the difference obviously gets bigger.

BTW, contrary to what some people say... In normal, dry conditions, the difference between the C2 and .C4 is not as noticeable as people think it is. It's much less understeered than the 997 C4 and if you turn off tractioncontrol, you can play with the car, like it is a C2. She's happy to get her *** out if you want. The big difference is that it is more controlable.

Most of the time however, it drives like a C2. Only when conditions change and there is need for additional power to the front wheels, the system shifts the power to the wheel(s) with most grip. (Doesn't always have to be in wet conditions, a road with sanddust on it, can also be tricky and have less grip).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 vs. S vs. 4 vs. 4S