European Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
European Delivery

Couple of basic questions about European delivery.

1) Does it add any additional significant delay to the order to final delivery timeline to the final US destination? (other than the time used in Europe before returning to the factory)

2) How much notice is there before a final delivery date in Germany? Specifically how much time would I have to plan a trip, since can't book plane tickets etc.. until I know a confirmed date..

3) Assume I am taking formal delivery of the vehicle in Germany.. so that is where I'd need to deal with any issues or problems prior to acceptance.? (i.e not at the dealer in the US)

Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Lightbulb >>>>>>>>>>>Timber....!

Hey Scat I assume your in the Douglas Fir business since you live in caliFIRnia... Timber! haha j/k

I am also interested in finding out about the European delivery. I found some information here that may enlighten you. Furthermore, I would contact the dealer and obtain some literature and/or conversation on such. Hopefully someone will chime in on specifics...

Last edited by See U n Rear View; 08-24-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
See U n Rear View,

Lol, actually I'm in Southern California so it is more like cactus in the desert than Fir's...

Yes, I've looked at the Porsche website page as well.. My main thing is to find out if European delivery pushes the final delivery back significantly. I suspect it probably only delays it by the time I have the car in Europe before returning it back to Porsche.. And I suspect it will be a bit more inefficient that rolling out of the factory and going straight to a port for shipping across the ocean..

My guess is driving the car in Germany for a week will probably cost me about a month or so in the process. (But at least I'd get to meet my baby a little sooner in Europe)..

Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 PM
2cardinalalums is infamous around these parts
They will have to give you a build slot that ensures it will be ready at your confirmed date for factory delivery. So, this means there will be some margin that you cannot benefit from; eg: if your car finished early, it would normally be shipped to US early while for Euro delivery, it will just sit there waiting for you. Then, as already noted, there are some inefficiencies in the process to ship it to US after you return the car. There are approx 2 ships per month to San Diego (according to my dealer in calif), so if you miss one, you could be delayed for 2 weeks. One more thing. Once you take delivery in Germany, your car falls out of the system. Then it is the tourist deliver dept handling the logistics. You get less info, because you need someone to manually hunt down the whereabouts of your car.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 AM
kes7u is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by scatkins
Couple of basic questions about European delivery.

1) Does it add any additional significant delay to the order to final delivery timeline to the final US destination? (other than the time used in Europe before returning to the factory)

First delay is the time between your available build slot and car pick-up. My build slot was the first week in July, and my pick-up is September 18. Not a big deal, just make sure you have an available build slot prior to your desired pick-up.

2) How much notice is there before a final delivery date in Germany? Specifically how much time would I have to plan a trip, since can't book plane tickets etc.. until I know a confirmed date.

I don't know if my situation is unique, because I put in my order 5 months in advance. The day I finalized my order, my dealer touched base with PCNA, and I was given a confirmed delivery date. I then booked my airline and started organizing my trip.

3) Assume I am taking formal delivery of the vehicle in Germany.. so that is where I'd need to deal with any issues or problems prior to acceptance.? (i.e not at the dealer in the US)

I'm not sure of this one!!!
Please see above.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 AM
blipit is just really niceblipit is just really niceblipit is just really niceblipit is just really nice
Are Porsche's discounted heavily like BMW's when you do Euro Delivery?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 AM
kes7u is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by blipit
Are Porsche's discounted heavily like BMW's when you do Euro Delivery?
No discount. In fact, your dealer is charged a fee for you taking Euro Delivery. They are compensated by an additional allotment.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Porsche covers 2 weeks of insurance driving in Europe..

Other than the fun of driving your own on the Autobahn (which I'm not discounting) but that's about the only benefit.. other than a free ticket to the Porsche Museum.. (which is fantastic but I've already seen it twice)..

I'm starting to think that it is liable to be more hassle than it is worth. I can only imagine what difficulties would occur if something were to happen in shipping between returning it in Germany and picking up domestically. My guess is that it becomes a claim with the shipper and not Porsche... no different than if I was shipping any existing car...

I'm starting to think it might be more fun to just order and take delivery normally. Then plan a trip to go over at my own convenience to see Porsche mecca..Take the factory tour, rent a 911 in Europe for a couple of days .. and know my own is safe in it's garage at home..

Old 08-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by kes7u
No discount. In fact, your dealer is charged a fee for you taking Euro Delivery. They are compensated by an additional allotment.
That compensation doesn't mean much when there is no waiting list and the cars aren't selling at MSRP. So, in my experience, the prices I was quoted were approx $3k higher if I choose euro delivery versus not - reflecting exactly the $3k that the dealer pays to Porsche.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 PM

Other than the fun of driving your own on the Autobahn (which I'm not discounting) but that's about the only benefit.. other than a free ticket to the Porsche Museum.. (which is fantastic but I've already seen it twice)..

I'm starting to think that it is liable to be more hassle than it is worth. I can only imagine what difficulties would occur if something were to happen in shipping between returning it in Germany and picking up domestically. My guess is that it becomes a claim with the shipper and not Porsche... no different than if I was shipping any existing car...

I'm starting to think it might be more fun to just order and take delivery normally. Then plan a trip to go over at my own convenience to see Porsche mecca..Take the factory tour, rent a 911 in Europe for a couple of days .. and know my own is safe in it's garage at home..
I'm not sure about how a claim would work. I'm still waiting for my car to arrive from Germany. Having driven on the Autobahn many times previously in a rental, as well as having visited Zuffenhausen previously with my family, we all still found it a super blast to do this. We took our car to Nurburgring too. Quite an experience - in your own car. Not quite the same, if you ask me, to do it in a rental (although a 911 rental would be very nice experience, I'm sure). You also get the euro delivery packet in a nice leather portfolio and some "ID" cards related to your delivery day and access, although you don't need them. They also give you some extra things at the delivery; but they like to keep that a surprise, so perhaps I will keep it that way, unless you want the spoiler info. We loved it, but you do clearly point out the primary downsides of the euro delivery. You pay more and you wait longer. My warranty clock is ticking while they still have the car in transit, etc.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough

Other than the fun of driving your own on the Autobahn (which I'm not discounting) but that's about the only benefit.. other than a free ticket to the Porsche Museum...
Well, your forgetting the free night at one of two luxury hotels in Stuttgart and an elegant lunch in the VIP dinng room

I have an entirely different take on factory delivery. I've done it for two BMWs and the 991. These were the most enjoyable European trips I've ever taken, and I've been there many times over the years.

As for savings, Porsche, which up to last year actually charged the customer for factory delivery, now waives that fee. While some here claim that their dealer charged more for ED, my experience was the opposite. My car was discounted an extra 2% for ED because dealers receive an extra allocation for every ED car they sell. Clearly, if 991s aren't moving when your ED car is ordered, you won't receive such a benefit.

As discussed, downside is delayed gratification, ie, you'll be paying for the car in full mos before you take redelivery in the US. Not such a problem for me as I have several cars to use while waiting. Other downside which I've never heard discussed is that your new 991 will get filthy being driven every day, especially in the rain, while in Europe. Naturally, you'll want it to be clean for all those photo ops in the Alps, so you'll be having it washed/detailed by folks who are a lot less careful then you or your fave detailer at home. My DBM C2S needed a lot of attention after it was redelivered to get all the swirl marks out.

Comparing Porsche's ED program to BMW's, I'd say that the Porsche experience is a little more personal. You get the impression that you're dealing with a boutique manufacturer rather than a giant autmotive conglomerate. OTOH, the BMW financial benefit to ED is much greater as they give you a free air ticket (if you don't mind being in last class) and your price negotiations start at 7% off of domestic delivery MSRP or wholesale.

Bottom line, at least for me, is that the few downsides are worth having an experience of your automotive lifetime. The first time I laid eyes on her..

A week later, in the Dolomiti...

With regard to the OP's original questions...

1. In addition to the driving time in Europe, your scheduled pick-up time will be as much as two weeks after the car is expected to be built. This allows Porsche to account for any unexpected manufacturing delays. It'd be a real bummer if you showed up while they were still painting your car So, figure in that delay along with the inefficiencies others have pointed out.

2. You should have at least two mos to plan your trip around a specified pick-up date.

3. You will have the option of having any issues resolved with your car when you drop it off at the factory, or when it arives back at your selling dealler in the states.

Spyder

Attached Images   
Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Hawkman is infamous around these parts
ED is definitely worth doing for the experience and connection with the car and factory etc.
And going in, we all know this is not an economy decision - as P charges dealers $3k more for our cars - and the others discount up to 8%!
They do it because we will pay it!
The whole trip was great, car perfect - as you'd expect. And we have tons of memories and photo's of it in Italy (Mille Miglia), Switzerland, France and the UK.
If you do ED makes sure you avoid the New York loudmouth Louis at collection. The other's are quiet and professional.
I shipped my car back via the UK and it was almost 8 weeks (there's a reasonable extra charge if you don't take it back to the factory yourself.
BTW the insurance after the free 2 weeks seems expensive - we had another 2 weeks.
Re manufacturing time, I have a feeling that ED cars are prioritized to make sure they are ready. Dealer had detailed it perfectly when I collected it - so no complaints there.
I'm planning to keep my baby for a long time, so cannot answer 'Will I do it Again?'......probably not until they match the other mfrs...and in 5 or 6 years, that may happen!

Here's a pic from France.
Paul

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	274606  
Old 08-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Hmmmmm, has me wondering now.. Last two times I rented BMWs in Germany I got speeding tickets.. (photo speed trap in 130 zones).. They get you back through the rental car agency...

Hmm, wonder if if they can get me.. If i get one in my own car... Car and I should be long gone by the time it goes through the german system...

Almost seems worth it to find out

Old 08-27-2013, 03:29 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmmmm, has me wondering now.. Last two times I rented BMWs in Germany I got speeding tickets.. (photo speed trap in 130 zones).. They get you back through the rental car agency...

Hmm, wonder if if they can get me.. If i get one in my own car... Car and I should be long gone by the time it goes through the german system...

I assure you they will get their $$ from you. A couple of years ago I got one of these camera tickets in the Netherlands, I gave money to an X-friend to pay and he kept it, not paying the ticket. When I entered the Netherlands about a year later through AMS, Dutch customs would not allow me to enter country until I paid the traffic ticket. The ticket was only 65 Euros. If you travel to Europe often I wouldn't risk skipping out on paying any fines.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 AM
6sol4me is infamous around these parts

When I picked up my car in Germany the ED delivery guy told me that I should not worry about a ticket in Germany, should they receive a ticket, they will simlpy send it back with a "not a European driver note".. outside of Germany it really depends on the country. If always rent a car when I'm in Europe (mainly the Netherlands) and I usually get a ticket (paid by the rental company, forwarded to me with a additional fee), but I've never received a ticket from the Netherlands when driving my ED car (both Porsche and BMW.. and I was driving *a lot* faster with those cars...)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: European Delivery