991 C4S same $ as 991 GT3, decisions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Stevie 911 is infamous around these parts
991 C4S same $ as 991 GT3, decisions

This will be my first porsche purchase and I'm very confused due to too many variations of the 911. My dilemma is as follows: I built a 2014 C4S on Porsche"s configurator which totaled $134,000. Then after hearing all the hype about the new 991 GT3 I decided just for fun to build one and found out both builds would be within about $500 of each other.

In person I saw the new 991 GT3 at the New York auto show earlier this year and I must admit I was awestruck. So now I'm struggling with which way to go here. Remember, we are talking same price basically for either car. My C4S build was a manual not PDK which I'm OK with. Either car would not be a daily driver and would be stored throughout the winter. I guess I have to decide on wether to have a car that is more comfortable with plenty of ammenities or owning something that is more exclusive. I know I would never grow tired of the looks & performance of the gt3 but I wonder if I would find the ride of the gt3 too harsh. where I live the roads are not bad and I do not have a steep driveway. Btw, My Porsche dealer stated to me that he can get me a 991 gt3. Also, I probably am not gonna track either car often if at all. Please help with some opinions to help with my decision. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Well. If you aren't going to track the car, why even get a GT3. It also depends if you are going to use it as a DD, if you want more comfort, if you need rear seats, etc. Just remember, I doubt if your dealer will take any $ off of a GT3 compared to a C4S.....

Old 09-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by frank69m
Well. If you aren't going to track the car, why even get a GT3. It also depends if you are going to use it as a DD, if you want more comfort, if you need rear seats, etc. Just remember, I doubt if your dealer will take any $ off of a GT3 compared to a C4S.....
Yeah correct , I will not DD either car and dealer quoted me 6-7 % off msrp on C4s but zero off of gt3 at msrp. But it doesn't matter because gt3 will hold its value better in case I decide to sell several years or so later. Backseats will be rarely used. Btw, I wasn't sure wether 991 gt3 had backseats or not.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
You will also find most GT3s are already gone as far as dealer availability goes. C4S will be much easier to acquire. Besides if you live where you need to winterize the car get a 4S to drive year-round.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Stevie 911
Yeah correct , I will not DD either car and dealer quoted me 6-7 % off msrp on C4s but zero off of gt3 at msrp. But it doesn't matter because gt3 will hold its value better in case I decide to sell several years or so later. Backseats will be rarely used. Btw, I wasn't sure wether 991 gt3 had backseats or not.
Nope. no back seats. Hence, why I didn't choose it. If that makes no diff to you, it sounds like you really want a GT3. I'd go for it if I were in your situation. Hey, you only live once. Enjoy if you can afford.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 PM
ColoradoCayenne is infamous around these parts
If you are not planning on tracking the car, why even consider the GT3? It is built for the track. Yes, it is cool. Yes, it is fast. Yes, it is highly sought after. It makes zero sense if you aren't taking it to the limits...unless it is just a toy. That is where cost is no longer as much of a factor, but function takes over. The function is up to you.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Just a few points to add to those already mentioned.

These are two entirely different rides and I'm not sure whether a GT3 would be the best option for a newcomer to the brand and platform. I certainly would not have enjoyed as much, or for that matter been as safe, in my previous GT3 if I hadn't had a few years of 911 ownership under my belt. For me even the regular C4S I had as my first Porsche took some getting used to and it was only over time that learnt to really understand their quirks and nuances as well as what these cars are capable of. I state this without taking away from anyone's driving ability. I do so only to point out that IMO building up experience with any iteration of the newer Carrera will help determine whether a GT variant is what you want. I've always regarded the GT3 to be somewhat of a "Porschephile's" Porsche!

I disagree that this iteration of the GT3 is only for the track. It is however definitely for roads that allow for spirited driving or those that can help one really appreciate the handling characteristics of this car. IMO, def not for city or pothole roads.

From my understanding ALL dealer allocations till the end of 2014 have been taken up or sold. So make sure your dealer is not playing you and just wants you on their books. Ask to see documentary proof that they have an allocation and it is not sold to someone else.

I am sure you will enjoy either of these cars as they will offer phenomenal thrills that are unique to each model.

Last edited by Haku; 09-07-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:15 AM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
In your case, get the GT3. The GT3 has dynamic engine mounts standard and has adjustable toe and camber. Set the dynamic mounts to comfort and adjust camber and toe to the least aggressive settings. So there will be no difference in ride compared to the S. The GT3 is built on the same manufacturing line as the base and S models. Porsche says that this will allow them to build as many GT3's as ordered. I wouldn't worry about allocations over the long run after the initial new model demand burp. The center lock wheels on the GT3 are one downside. The wheels are expensive to replace, the hubs are overkill, and the hub maintenance is a headache. The 5 lugs on the S are adequate.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:45 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Haku
Just a few points to add to those already mentioned.

These are two entirely different rides and I'm not sure whether a GT3 would be the best option for a newcomer to the brand and platform. I certainly would not have enjoyed as much, or for that matter been as safe, in my previous GT3 if I hadn't had a few years of 911 ownership under my belt. For me even the regular C4S I had as my first Porsche took some getting used to and it was only over time that learnt to really understand their quirks and nuances as well as what these cars are capable of. I state this without taking away from anyone's driving ability. I do so only to point out that IMO building up experience with any iteration of the newer Carrera will help determine whether a GT variant is what you want. I've always regarded the GT3 to be somewhat of a "Porschephile's" Porsche!

I disagree that this iteration of the GT3 is only for the track. It is however definitely for roads that allow for spirited driving or those that can help one really appreciate the handling characteristics of this car. IMO, def not for city or pothole roads.

From my understanding ALL dealer allocations till the end of 2014 have been taken up or sold. So make sure your dealer is not playing you and just wants you on their books. Ask to see documentary proof that they have an allocation and it is not sold to someone else.

I am sure you will enjoy either of these cars as they will offer phenomenal thrills that are unique to each model.
+1 IMHO IF you can get a GT3 allocation for 2014, get it and then decide whether you like it. You won't have any issues flipping it for a C4S if you change your mind.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 AM
To me owning & looking at a 991 gt3 parked in my garage will be pure lust. no, I may not track it and I definitely will not push either car to its limits. As far as a C4S for the winter it doesn't matter since the car will be stored once they start heavily sanding the roads which usually happens late Nov/ early Dec. As with most of my sports cars I enjoy looking at them parked in my garage which is where they rest most of the time, not to say a C4S won't look great either. My C4S build was a performance optioned car with PDCC, PASM, PSE, SC, I Passed on the fancy leather & stitching, & power seats, etc. I truly know that I will be very excited with either car. I'm looking at bang for the buck at this price point and to me bang for the buck is not only about performance but looks as well. I keep saying to myself " C4S makes more sense for me " but part of this Porsche experience is the enjoyment I will have looking at my cars knowing they are waiting for me to wake em up and start a mental journey. This will be my first Porsche & I want to make the most of it.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
In a comparative garage queen contest, GT3 all the way. By comparison the C4S is just a "best everyday sports/GT car" there is.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stevie 911
To me owning & looking at a 991 gt3 parked in my garage will be pure lust. no, I may not track it and I definitely will not push either car to its limits. As far as a C4S for the winter it doesn't matter since the car will be stored once they start heavily sanding the roads which usually happens late Nov/ early Dec. As with most of my sports cars I enjoy looking at them parked in my garage which is where they rest most of the time, not to say a C4S won't look great either. My C4S build was a performance optioned car with PDCC, PASM, PSE, SC, I Passed on the fancy leather & stitching, & power seats, etc. I truly know that I will be very excited with either car. I'm looking at bang for the buck at this price point and to me bang for the buck is not only about performance but looks as well. I keep saying to myself " C4S makes more sense for me " but part of this Porsche experience is the enjoyment I will have looking at my cars knowing they are waiting for me to wake em up and start a mental journey. This will be my first Porsche & I want to make the most of it.
Spot on and I could not have explained my reasons for getting a GT3 any better than you have.

The GT3 is for me as much a work of art as it is a performance machine. Therefore the perfect reason to own it.

Go for it! No other justification needed!

Do confirm the allocation issues with your dealer.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Haku & thanks a lot for understanding. These cars are about pure emotion. These purchases don't make sense to most people. As stated it won't be a daily driver, I'll probably drive maybe 3k miles per year. it won't be a family car so comfort & practicality is not a concern. I'll mostly be taking this car out for short spirited driving. I doubt I will have any regrets at all.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 PM
LSs1Power is infamous around these parts
Im facing the same dilemma, the C4S makes sense to me because I need the AWD and also it is a manual which is a plus to me. But when I look at the GT3 and see that 9k RPM shifts, ahh its just a tough choice.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:05 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
It sounds like you really want the gt3. If you can get the allocation, go for it. For the same amount of money, I would jump on the gt3. As mentioned above, the gt3 wins the garage queen comparison!! Let us know what you end uo doing!

By the way, just for comparison, what sports cars have you owned and is this car replacing one in particular?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 C4S same $ as 991 GT3, decisions