minimum tread depth for a track day?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
minimum tread depth for a track day?

I'm going to lime rock next month and my rear P Zeros are pretty used up.

I switch over to winter wheels in November and had planned to get pilot super sports on the summer wheels in the spring. I'm just wondering what tire usage anyone has actually measured in a track day. I'll do a minimum of 10 laps but no more than 30 on my car. It's a dealer sponsored track day so they're bringing a number of their cars. I can run my car as much or as little as I like.

I'm in the PCA yellow run group to give you an idea of what intensity I drive.

So my question is, how many 10ths of an inch of tread depth can you use up on a cool October day? 2,3?

With the PS2s on my former 997.2 the rear inside shoulders would cord with little notice. They looked okay on one run then the next you could see the cord. The Pirellis on the 991 seem to be much flatter and meatier at the inside rear shoulders which implies they might give more notice of the tire cording??

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with worn Pzeros on a 991 on track? Thanks.

DRP

Last edited by drspeed; 09-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
I do not mean to provide a smart @ss answer, but if there is any risk... do not take it! You will find yourself at very high speed and double guessing what may happen with your tires is not worth it. Tires, wheels and brakes are the 3 things on the car I care the most about when I am on the track.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
I would not go below 3

Old 09-17-2013, 01:23 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Give yourself a little room for the wear that the track day will produce. I'd say 4/32nd would be about the minimum I would be willing to start at. Certainly more if it happens to be a damp day. On dry days at temp they should get good traction all the way down till 2/32nds and even less if not driven too hard.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Thanks Damon

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Give yourself a little room for the wear that the track day will produce. I'd say 4/32nd would be about the minimum I would be willing to start at. Certainly more if it happens to be a damp day. On dry days at temp they should get good traction all the way down till 2/32nds and even less if not driven too hard.

I'll be sure to add your name when I order the super sports. You're always on top of tire issues on the forum.

Keep up the good work. Thanks for the input.

Regards,
David R. Peck

Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
This.

My goal is to drive home on cords. I hate changing tires out when there is still this rubber crap covering those beautiful steel braids.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:54 AM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Just got done my 5th day on MPSC+ (25 sessions), and while there is still a little tread on the front (more on the rear), I was slipping all over the place. I'm guessing the tires are just out of heat cycles. Maybe Damon can confirm? Ordered R888, as the Michelins are twice the price.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 AM
problem solved

I bought 2 used rear N rated Pzeros from a tire shop with 4/32nds on them for $100 each. No repairs and the shop said they have a no leak guarantee. They look way better than my current tires. You can't see any tread design on the ribs on mine now.

So I'll do the track day next month and then used tires will probably be where mine are now... Then I'll get fresh rubber all around next spring.

DRP

Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM
not N rated rear tires...

My rears now have a curb guard.

The tire feels stiffer in the sidewall and breaks loose a bit easier...?

Can anyone confirm whether the PSS has a curb guard on the rears for the 991?

DRP