Smoothest riding lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Question Smoothest riding lowering springs?

Hi everyone, hoping to close on a 2014 Carrera C2 in the next few days and looking at my first upgrade options. I really want to get rid of the gap without effecting the ride quality too much. In searching it seems the H&R springs are a little stiffer than stock. Are there other options I am missing for springs? What about Techart... or are they the same as H&R?

David

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of people with aftermarket springs, and the ones that have it have probably never been in a car with a different set to know the difference. There are so many different factors as well such as if they have a S model or not, if they have added SPASM or not, their feedback will be different depending on what the car originally came with.

My car was a S model without Sport PASM (SPASM); going back I would add the SPASM.

I did a lot of research on this prior to my purchase and ended up with H&R due to how much it lowered the car. I got about an inch in the rear and 1.2" in front.

The handling characteristics have certainly changed, the ride is not bouncy but going over bumps you definitely feel them much more and harder. If I had bad roads I would certainly not like them but we are mostly highways here. The steering is heavier than before, I honestly can't say the handling is better, if anything it's about the same. I know there are a lot of people with H&R springs and they do say the handling is better but I don't notice a difference, maybe if the car spent time on the track things would be different. For me just pushing it on an empty road from time to time or taking corners fast, it's pretty much the same. Even at high speeds of over 100MPH, it's the same to me. I did several 100+ drives before changing the springs, felt the car was very solid. Therefore I think the factory suspension is fantastic to begin with, from comfort to handling, that's just my opinion.

Now to the looks, it's a huge difference....I could not stand that huge gap, specially in the front.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I installed H&R springs on my C2 without PASM, IMO they were too low and harsh for my likings.
After a month I replaced them with Eibachs, ordered them from UK ebay, couldnt find one dealer in America that had them in stock. Still harsh (same as H&Rs), but not as low, ride height was the same as a SPASM equipped car.
I got tired of the teeth jarring ride and installed my factory springs back.
If I had PASM on that car I guess my experience would have been diferent.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:38 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ///armin
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of people with aftermarket springs, and the ones that have it have probably never been in a car with a different set to know the difference. There are so many different factors as well such as if they have a S model or not, if they have added SPASM or not, their feedback will be different depending on what the car originally came with.

My car was a S model without Sport PASM (SPASM); going back I would add the SPASM.

I did a lot of research on this prior to my purchase and ended up with H&R due to how much it lowered the car. I got about an inch in the rear and 1.2" in front.

The handling characteristics have certainly changed, the ride is not bouncy but going over bumps you definitely feel them much more and harder. If I had bad roads I would certainly not like them but we are mostly highways here. The steering is heavier than before, I honestly can't say the handling is better, if anything it's about the same. I know there are a lot of people with H&R springs and they do say the handling is better but I don't notice a difference, maybe if the car spent time on the track things would be different. For me just pushing it on an empty road from time to time or taking corners fast, it's pretty much the same. Even at high speeds of over 100MPH, it's the same to me. I did several 100+ drives before changing the springs, felt the car was very solid. Therefore I think the factory suspension is fantastic to begin with, from comfort to handling, that's just my opinion.

Now to the looks, it's a huge difference....I could not stand that huge gap, specially in the front.
pics?

Old 09-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
After getting a car equipped with Spasm springs--- if I had a car without I consider getting that part first over aftermarket springs.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
That is a very good idea Vic55... anyone have a part number or source for SPASM springs. I assume this would be a drop in replacement for any 991 C2 regardless if it came with PASM or not?

David

Old 09-25-2013, 12:57 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
H&R and Eibach are both a little bit stiffer than stock. It's my experience that people think the Eibach ride a bit softer than H&R.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Reborn996
That is a very good idea Vic55... anyone have a part number or source for SPASM springs. I assume this would be a drop in replacement for any 991 C2 regardless if it came with PASM or not?

David
I asked this exact question to my Porsche Service Manager. He said NO. Told me the shocks were paired to the springs and advised against mixing parts.

Maybe a Porsche company line. I don't know. But this dealership is pretty keen with track upgrades, etc. In fact, they even installed a GT3 master cylinder on my Cayman to improve the braking feel.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BradB
I asked this exact question to my Porsche Service Manager. He said NO. Told me the shocks were paired to the springs and advised against mixing parts.

Maybe a Porsche company line. I don't know. But this dealership is pretty keen with track upgrades, etc. In fact, they even installed a GT3 master cylinder on my Cayman to improve the braking feel.

I guess the way we could find out is if there are different part numbers for the shocks with PASM and SPASM. A non PASM car will not have the adjustable dampeners so those are indeed different.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Okay, been doing some further research... the SPASM springs are not generally available in the USA and cost $200 each! It seems Eibach (Thanks Damon!) is another option and has a similar drop as SPASM at .8 Front and .5 Rear with a softer ride versus H&R according to some international forums.

Damon, can you shoot me a PM for 6speed member pricing for the Eibach kit. Think I will try them and let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks

David

Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Damon, can you shoot me a PM for 6speed member pricing for the Eibach kit. Think I will try them and let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks

David
Did you ever get lowering springs?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Coming late to the party but wanted to share my experience...
I have had a first 991 with PASM and installed Speedart springs (when they were still in business). I am pretty sure they were made by H&R BTW. The ride got a bit stiffer as expected and is fairly comparable to the SPASM I know have on another 991.
It is probably true that springs and shocks are better matched by Porsche but PASM + H&R's is just fine.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Ended up with H&R springs courtesy of Tire Rack. The Eibach were not in stock. I am happy with my choice, while the ride might be a little stiffer I find it more compliant than the ROW M030 kit that was on my 996.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:31 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Hi everyone, hoping to close on a 2014 Carrera C2 in the next few days and looking at my first upgrade options. I really want to get rid of the gap without effecting the ride quality too much. In searching it seems the H&R springs are a little stiffer than stock. Are there other options I am missing for springs? What about Techart... or are they the same as H&R?

David
I never thought I would praise the stock suspension but the current Porsche line up has an awesome setup bone stock !!! On my 997 turbo I changed the suspension three times . First i had the Techart springs and they are quite good but i read such praise from coil overs that I bought the Bilstein damptronics . After 6 years and problems this was the straw that sent me back to change it again . https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-garbage.html

I could have placed the stock springs on my Turbo but they are that awful especially compared to the modern day porsches .. so I am paying for parts,labor,tax, alignment, shipping and placing KW noselift on the Turbo . I love the rest of the car that much !!

I do believe that part of the positive in Porsches huge price increases (in both Boxster and 991) come from a superior stock car . The suspension (as well as the PDK, as well as the technology) are tremendous improvements .

The car comes in ideal shape right out of the box .
Maybe I'd ponder quality aftermarket wheels or perhaps a Techart aerokit but as far as the suspension goes it's perfect just the way it is.

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-28-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:07 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
I would recommend the KW V3 Coil Overs instead of lowering springs. Then you get multi way adjustable dampimg and adjustable ride height.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Smoothest riding lowering springs?