Engine Cover Not Opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:22 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Engine Cover Not Opening

Well, it happened today. When I stopped for gas I added some oil as it was a little low. Drove a bit after that and saw I needed just a little more oil and, presto, engine cover wouldn't open. I cold hear the little electric motor engaging the cable but, nothing...did not open so raised the spoiler, moved the little black cover (the one the mobil 1 sticker) aside and tried the emergency cord to no avail. Took it to a dealer and they ordered a latch and will install it next week. They have to take off the engine cover so, while it's off I asked them to replace the air filters.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:54 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about the issue and that you get her back up and running quickly.

ChuckJ

Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Dropped off and picked up the car from service on the same day. Tried another Porsche dealer as the problem with the car occurred about a mile from their store. The Tech said that the cable slipped off from it's anchoring point on the latch, that the design was less than perfect and that he has seen this before. They had to remove the engine cover to get at it.

I asked them to replace the engine air filters while they had the cover off. Not only did they fail to do that, but they replaced the cabin filters I had just changed myself (and had told them that I had replaced them but did not do the engine filters).

They just waived the part and labor charge for the unnecessary service.

What started this mess was that I noticed that my oil level was low and tried, but failed, to open the engine cover. Notwithstanding that I had explained this to the Service Advisor and told him that there was a fresh quart of Mobil 1 in the frunk they didn't bother to add oil to the car.

The final screw up was that they had removed the stupid ignition stick - for what reason, I can't imagine - and they eventually located it and the little plastic button cover that lives to its left.

Suffice to say, I was not impressed with the service as I provided a detailed explanation of exactly what I wanted and suspected was wrong, I suggested that the cable may have been the problem as I could hear and see the cable move but could not hear the latch engage (they ordered but did not install a new latch and failed to order the engine air filters) and I explained that the car needed oil.

The Service Advisor barely listened to me and seemed to be solely focused on obtaining my identification information and explaining the non-gratuitous/gratuitious bailment and short term lease provisions and liability clauses of the loaner agreement to me (which he clearly did not understand and I, did not correct his errors) as opposed to actually listening to what I had to say about the car I have driven for about 16 months. It seemed like I was back in a Toyota dealership, then again, that's unfair to Toyota.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Bacca911 is infamous around these partsBacca911 is infamous around these parts
What dealership was this at ??

Old 10-16-2013, 07:38 AM
rnl
bear in mind, that they fixed the primary problem, the engine lid now opens
perhaps I've been spoiled by the treatment I have received at Thompson Porsche, Porsche of the Main Line and at Porsche of Delaware. They're prompt, they correct the problem and most significantly, they actually listen to me.

This dealer was Porsche of Conshohocken.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Its very helpfull to report good and bad dealers.
After my last service, I found missing retention
gromets for the engine cover and air duct.
I recovered the air duct gromet, on the engine block.
I had to order a replacement engine cover grommet.
I even had to replace the engine lid release cable, because its retaining clamp was damaged and it was not cliping into the solenoid bracket anymore.
The parts cost practically nothing so I'm keeping spares of these parts now.
Its possible I dislodged those grommets, but I doubt it.
I know what to look for now and Ill report a dealer if I see this happen again.
I was out of state, so this was not my local dealer so I never need to visit them again.

Last edited by lunarx; 10-16-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
First, stop going to that dealer.
Second rip them a new hole on the Porsche Survey. Be very specific and honest. PCNA actually looks at this stuff.

Lastly you have the necessary mileage for a air filter change? IIRC its at 25-30k?

Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by kosmo69
First, stop going to that dealer.
Second rip them a new hole on the Porsche Survey. Be very specific and honest. PCNA actually looks at this stuff.

Lastly you have the necessary mileage for a air filter change? IIRC its at 25-30k?
It was an "emergency" stop as I noticed that the engine lid didn't open about a mile or so from their store.

Yes, the car just turned 25k so I figured "two birds, one stone"

Would you believe that the immediately after the Service Manager installed the ignition stick his Tech had misplaced, he had the cajones to ask me to give them a good rating on the Porsche Survey. I smiled and told him that I intended to provide Porsche with an honest opinion and asked him if that was fine with him.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
For some reason dealers like to remove keyless ignition devices to enable using the keys.
Mercedes does it to, except they put the button back after.

That little cover for the porsche ignition release is another spare part I keep now.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Alpacker01 is infamous around these parts
Just be honest on the survey. PCNA does evaluate them and a consistent pattern of ambivalent or poor reviews will trickle down to the Dealer. I'd go ballistic if any part was not properly reinstalled.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know how to find out the dealer rankings (from these surveys)?
I would not mind driving a little, to go to the highest ranked dealer in the So Cal area.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rnl
he had the cajones to ask me to give them a good rating on the Porsche Survey. I smiled and told him that I intended to provide Porsche with an honest opinion and asked him if that was fine with him.
I don't get these type of surveys. Every time I bring my Mercedes in for service the SA goes on and on about how important it is for them to get perfect scores. What he does not realize is this annoys me so I don't fill out the survey unless I am pissed.

Last edited by JamesKen; 10-18-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:34 AM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
These surveys are total BS.......this coming from someone who has to deal with them. Whats worse is that the client advisor gets screwed for things that we have no control over. Had a bad experience with the finance dept yup, detail didnt clean the car properly.......that too. Dealership didnt have a large selection of cars........screwed.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by rossii
These surveys are total BS.......this coming from someone who has to deal with them. Whats worse is that the client advisor gets screwed for things that we have no control over. Had a bad experience with the finance dept yup, detail didnt clean the car properly.......that too. Dealership didnt have a large selection of cars........screwed.
didnt clean car is absolutely w/ in the SA control.

PCNA looks at these to hand out perks to the top dealers like bonuses and better allocation.