How does Sports Exhaust System work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 PM
RL63 is infamous around these parts
How does Sports Exhaust System work?

Greetings everyone,

I am looking forward to purchasing the 2014 991 C2S this coming spring and would like to find out more about the Sports Exhaust System.

So when the button is off, is the car more quiet than a C2S without Sports Exhaust System pkg; or is it the same?

And with the button on, is it much louder than a C2S without Sports Exhaust System pkg?

I am just debating rather its worth $3300 for this Sport Exhaust system or I should spend it on aftermarket exhaust.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
When you engage the sport modes it's the sound symposer that you mostly hear, not the exhaust bypass opening.
I blocked my sound symposer and now what I hear with the exhaust bypass open is a sharp rasp when the car shifts and more tone at high RPM.

IMHO it's a bit too much.
I close the bypas, when in sport modes and in that mode the PSE exhaust sounds perfect to me.
I'm not sure how PSE compares to a standard exhaust but I doubt it's queter in any mode.

I would have rather spent the PSE money to upgrade to Burmester.
I just don't think the rasp and burbles are necessary.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Vegasguy is infamous around these parts
I had a '10 C2S and wasn't too happy with the sound of the standard exhaust. So I had the dealer install OEM PSE ($2,800). It was a great improvement.

I optioned the PSE on my '14 C2S, and believe it is a "must have" option. It sounds fantastic.

Frankly though, I find that I don't turn it on that much because it is loud, and probably a disturbance during city driving. I mostly turn it on when I do some "spirited" driving out on the highway. And what a sound!! Love it!!

My suggestion would be that if you're ordering a C2S, to get the PSE, it is probably Porsche's best option. With the on/off button, it's only there when you want it on, but ready to give you quite a thrill.

Don't miss out!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 AM
thigos is infamous around these parts
Definitely get it. I drive with the valve open at all times. I am blown away that some owners on here think that it is too loud or do not appreciate the pops and burbles. It is definitely a must have option, unless you go aftermarket.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 PM
mas8002mi is infamous around these parts
it is a must have option. it makes the difference for a Sports car....... with the PSE off the car sounds like any other ordinary car.

the drone on the highway- on long drives can get tiring, but all u have to do is to switch it off

Old 10-16-2013, 03:03 AM
RL63 is infamous around these parts
thanks for the great suggestions guys I guess the sports exhaust is a MUST.

What about the Sport Chrono package? I guess I can have the sports exhaust without the Sport chrono right. I will only use the car for city driving and sometimes spirited drive from street to street. I don't think I need all that setting options.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:49 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Get in car, start, press sport which turns on PSE and off I go....... rarely if ever turn it off. Burmester not needed in a 911, IMO. The 911 is about much more than the music...... sure if cost no object, get all the options. PSE is a must.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Vegasguy is infamous around these parts
My '14 P-Car is my 3rd C2S ('08 & '10), all of which had the Sport Chrono, I also had a '12 base C2, no Sport Chrono. Here are my personal observations concerning the Sport Chrono: I don’t see any need (for me) for the Sport Chrono, except for the Dynamic Engine Mounts. I believe the Sport Chrono is only worth it because the dynamic engine mounts are worth having, which is probably why ( in my opinion!) Porsche only sells them in the Sport Chrono Package and not as a separate option. I'm not much of a mechanic or technician, so I won't try to explain, but you might want to study this aspect of the SC package. I personally don’t use or need the Sport Plus or Launch Control (it’s simply not rational or prudent to use them on city streets and highways. On a track – certainly!) The standard sport mode turns on the PSE (a must have option) and PASM, which already provides for very "exciting driving experience."

Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Alpacker01 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mas8002mi
it is a must have option. it makes the difference for a Sports car....... with the PSE off the car sounds like any other ordinary car.

the drone on the highway- on long drives can get tiring, but all u have to do is to switch it off
I'd say that is a bit overstated. My 2012 C2S, without PSE, sounds awesome. Starting it in the am is the second best part of my driving day. The worst is waiting for the oil temp to reach 165 degrees, followed by the best part: running at 4000 to 5000 rpm!!

FWIW, my2015 will be a C4S, with PSE. The Burmeister is way overpriced, and can easily be trumped in the aftermarket, when you install the radar/laser nonsense!

SC is good for the launch thrill, Sports Plus (trackers) and resale value. The dynamic mounts should be a separate option, or paired with the SPASM/PDCC package. I'd even say that is even a more essential option then PSE.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
I am pretty sure the sport button on my car turns on PSE but not PASM. Sport plus turns on both.

Also if someone knows how to trump the Burmester after market for the same price I would like to know. All the better after market stereo upgrades I know of run 10-20K.

Last edited by JamesKen; 10-16-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:43 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alpacker01
I'd say that is a bit overstated. My 2012 C2S, without PSE, sounds awesome. Starting it in the am is the second best part of my driving day. The worst is waiting for the oil temp to reach 165 degrees, followed by the best part: running at 4000 to 5000 rpm!!

FWIW, my2015 will be a C4S, with PSE. The Burmeister is way overpriced, and can easily be trumped in the aftermarket, when you install the radar/laser nonsense!

SC is good for the launch thrill, Sports Plus (trackers) and resale value. The dynamic mounts should be a separate option, or paired with the SPASM/PDCC package. I'd even say that is even a more essential option then PSE.
Great comments!!

I wondered if I would want SC and haven't regretted the decision a bit. That said, now I'm wondering if I should have purchased PSE.

ChuckJ

Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=JamesKen;3959741]I am pretty sure the sport button on my car turns on PSE but not PASM. Sport plus turns on both.

PASM is on all the time no matter what you do re PSE. You can choose either of its overlapping rebound settings, or the car will if the sensors tell it you are driving in a very sporty way. PSE is on when you push the PSE button or the sport or sport plus button if you have one(eg have the sport chromo option).

Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Great comments!!

I wondered if I would want SC and haven't regretted the decision a bit. That said, now I'm wondering if I should have purchased PSE.

ChuckJ
I got PSE after a year as the car's birthday present. All I missed was a year of extra smiles and enjoyment, but I appreciate it more than if I had it from the start.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 PM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=chuckbdc;3959795]
Originally Posted by JamesKen
I am pretty sure the sport button on my car turns on PSE but not PASM. Sport plus turns on both.

PASM is on all the time no matter what you do re PSE. You can choose either of its overlapping rebound settings, or the car will if the sensors tell it you are driving in a very sporty way. PSE is on when you push the PSE button or the sport or sport plus button if you have one(eg have the sport chromo option).
I am aware of this and could worded my post a little better. What I meant was that the stiffer sport setting or the light on the PASM button does not activate when you push the sport button. It does activate when you push the sport plus button. I mentioned it because I would prefer the stiffer PASM setting was activated when you push the sport button.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
mistake, delete please

Last edited by bccars; 10-17-2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: mistake, delete please

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does Sports Exhaust System work?