Few rattle fixes that may help ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
May 31, 2012 build. I have one small buzz that is driving me nuts....b pillar where the seat belt is attached. the plastic seat belt surround thing makes a small buzzing sound at various rpm...anyone know how to stop this other than with a hammer?

Old 12-08-2013, 11:26 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
March 2012 C2S coupe, 13k mi here.

I've had a fair number of rattles/squeaks/noises, some more transient, some more permanent. I feel it almost warrants a table mapping them against ambient temperature and agitation frequency, but not to go overboard here, the main items are
  • Sun visors rubbing against something
  • Sun roof rattling on uneven pavement
  • Seat levers (the ones to flip them forward) rattling, both seats, both sides
  • Black airbag plastic covers on the front top of each door rattling
  • Rear speaker cover rattling (right side)
  • Driver-side B-pillar: something around/within the seat belt outlet -- not sure about this one, never found out what it was; could have been the seat lever
  • Brakes squealing ALL THE TIME at low speeds.

Had it in the dealership twice already with nothing fixed. Will get a bit more aggressive about it before warranty expires in May.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:25 PM
hdawg is infamous around these parts
Rnl - my b pillar buzz was fixed by just pushing the trim around the b pillar back into place, seems one of the clips was out of place. Your dealer should be able to take this trim off and fix this. After all there not much in the b pillar is there?
Chancludo, i also have a rattling seat lever on the passenger side. My dealer took a look and said he fixed it but didnt. I am now thinking of just spraying silicon spray onto/ into the lever to see if that helps.
I think a lot of these rattles are fixable , its just a question of the dealer taking the time to locate the source and then having the inclination to actually fix them properly. My car was terrible, but seems relative quiet now so kinda loving it at last.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Has anyone had a rattle in the rear panel where the rear seatbelt comes out. These panels seem loose on both sides, I am going to put some cloth in-between the panel and window to see if I can pinpoint the area before my service appointment next week.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Go123
Has anyone had a rattle in the rear panel where the rear seatbelt comes out. These panels seem loose on both sides, I am going to put some cloth in-between the panel and window to see if I can pinpoint the area before my service appointment next week.
Those panels do seem loose.
However, I think my rear rattle is the seats.
It is quieter when they are down and I always hear rattles when they are up.
If you find a cure let us know.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:33 AM
nash667 has a spectacular aura aboutnash667 has a spectacular aura about
I have the most annoying little rattle from the passenger side seat lever of my 991 C2... so annoying i stick a plastic card between the lever handle and the housing to stop it (which works great btw).

I take it into the dealer and when he gets in for the test, low and behold the rattle is gone! We tried it on different surfaces including brick road and nothing. So now i look like a maniac for wasting his time. Sure enough, 30 mins after i leave the rattle is back!

Also the driver side door vibrates when the music is loud making the speaker sound like its busted. Ah, guess you cant have perfection.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by nash667
I have the most annoying little rattle from the passenger side seat lever of my 991 C2... so annoying i stick a plastic card between the lever handle and the housing to stop it (which works great btw).

I take it into the dealer and when he gets in for the test, low and behold the rattle is gone! We tried it on different surfaces including brick road and nothing. So now i look like a maniac for wasting his time. Sure enough, 30 mins after i leave the rattle is back!

Also the driver side door vibrates when the music is loud making the speaker sound like its busted. Ah, guess you cant have perfection.
I have found that when you have a passenger in the vehicle (front seat), some of the rattles disappear...and yes, it does make you look like a maniac. Not sure if it's because the rattles are coming from the passenger seat or maybe it evens out the weight distribution a bit and the car doesn't flex so much...

It's all vey annoying!!!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by lunarx
Those panels do seem loose.
However, I think my rear rattle is the seats.
It is quieter when they are down and I always hear rattles when they are up.
If you find a cure let us know.
It seems after securing the most rear loose panels it did not make any difference. I think even if there was a rattle there it would be hard to appreciate anyway because of proximity to tires and engine noises.

I did figure out the clicking rattle in the driver seat is coming from the lever mechanism. When I was inspecting the seat, I noticed slight separation between the seat cushion and headrest, which is a little wider than the passenger seat, see picture. Does anyone think this is within the norm, or should I try to get a new seat?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	310288  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 AM
hdawg is infamous around these parts
Hmm, i would definitely ask for that to be put right though i doubt they would replace the whole seat. Probably change to cushion i'd imagine.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
It seems after securing the most rear loose panels it did not make any difference. I think even if there was a rattle there it would be hard to appreciate anyway because of proximity to tires and engine noises.

I did figure out the clicking rattle in the driver seat is coming from the lever mechanism. When I was inspecting the seat, I noticed slight separation between the seat cushion and headrest, which is a little wider than the passenger seat, see picture. Does anyone think this is within the norm, or should I try to get a new seat?
I don't think this is an issue. Mine have a little gap as well, I believe that's how they are designed and within the norm. Perhaps you got two seats at the opposite ends of this norm, making the difference more apparent.

Also, i don't think that that's related with the seat lever rattle.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
That gap does seem a bit beyond expected, but not bad and not a rattle contributor.
The sooner you ask about it the better the chance for them to address it.
You don't want them to call it wear.
Ideally find something else to take the car in for and bring this up with it.
Some cars have less gap there but that gap is hard to notice.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by lunarx
That gap does seem a bit beyond expected, but not bad and not a rattle contributor.
The sooner you ask about it the better the chance for them to address it.
You don't want them to call it wear.
Ideally find something else to take the car in for and bring this up with it.
Some cars have less gap there but that gap is hard to notice.
I intend to bring it up next week when I have them fix the rattles in the levers. It would be hard to blame it on wear considering the car is less than a year old with 2800 miles. It probably came that way, but I never noticed until I started looking closely at the seat to pinpoint the rattle.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 PM
I intend to bring it up next week when I have them fix the rattles in the levers. It would be hard to blame it on wear considering the car is less than a year old with 2800 miles. It probably came that way, but I never noticed until I started looking closely at the seat to pinpoint the rattle.
Got the car back today, they ended up replacing the seat skeleton, evidently it was slightly deformed and hence the slight gap. The levers got lubricated and that appears to have resolved the rattle.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Glad to hear that.
You got a great dealer.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Moonlightmile is infamous around these parts
First post for me....

Just ordered a well optioned C2S.....

Hadn't thought about these concerns.....

Would drive me nuts!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Few rattle fixes that may help ..