Few rattle fixes that may help ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:23 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Some optimistic news?

I was paging through consumer reports online, and noted that Porsche has a good track record of getting the rattles out over time. It seems that each model year of each platform improved substantially time and time again.
In the last years of the 997 chassis, the 2009 (997.2)was reported to be pretty solid compared to the earlier .1 chassis.
A friend of mine had an older 2007, and he asked the dealer to perform all of the fixes on the 997.2, and he said the car came back quiet as a church. It cost him over a grand to do it, but they did every bulletin and updated all the rattly parts with the updated ones.

I wonder if the trend is being seen here on the 991? If so, it means that even the early cars will benefit from the info that porsche gleans over time...

Old 12-20-2013, 08:42 AM
hdawg is infamous around these parts
You may be well right on this, but to be honest , given the amount we pay for these cars they shouldn't rattle so much in the first place. I mean u can buy 20k vw which wont make a squeak. Doesnt make sense.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
^ It makes sense, 20" 35 series performance tires, stiff performance suspension, lightweight interior construction = rattles.

Grand Touring tires anyone?

With all that, my car is not too bad, except for the back seat.
I need to get it fixed, Its so annoying.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lunarx
^ It makes sense, 20" 35 series performance tires, stiff performance suspension, lightweight interior construction = rattles.

Grand Touring tires anyone?

With all that, my car is not too bad, except for the back seat.
I need to get it fixed, Its so annoying.

Agreed!..Definitely has a lot to do with the lightweight construction! They are shaving every ounce possible out of the vehicles. Personally, I would accept another 40 LBS to have no rattles! Look at the Evora...they use velcro to hold on half of the dash. Insanity!

On top of the performance tires, louder exhausts can key up rattles as well as a powerful sound-system. I was surprised the burmester does not have subs under the seat. Seems that putting a sub in the dash would be a bad idea.

I agree that at this stage of engineering, rattles should not exist...especially as the one member said about the cost of the car. I've had honda and VW models that were tight as a drum. My M3 has not a peep. (although others do..) Usually, the rattle is caused by something so obvious, that a strip of felt fixes it. Seems that Porsche would save money just felting the cars at the factory! This thread, as it gets larger, would be a nice spreadsheet. we could look year by year and see what is the prevalent issues.