PDK vs Manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Luciddaydream is infamous around these parts
PDK vs Manual?

Howdy

The other day I test drove a PDK 911 and I didn't really like it.

I am used to driving a 997 manual.

However, I realize everything takes some time getting used to.

Was the 991 really designed for PDK ? What are the advantages of both ?

Sorry for this parasitic post. Just curious.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:11 PM
TOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really nice
I have a 991 7SPD MT and love it. I think the more you drive the PDK in different setting and conditions you learn to appreciate it more. For me the 7spd MT hits the spot I love it. That being said I do not have to endure traffic congestion. In the back roads the 7spd MT is very enjoyable to me. I also had a 997 6spd.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Preference.

There are benefits to both. One is fun (for some), one is fast.

HOWEVER - once you go aftermarket, the current PDK has limitations.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
I have driven manuals all my life, the first time I tried the PDK, I loved it and ended up getting it on my 991, the PDK can shift faster and is nice when stuck in LA traffic

Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 PM
TOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really nice
Not sure about the shift faster argument. Although its true it does shift faster. For me it is not all about 0-60 pedal to the floor. I like the enjoyment and involvement of the shift. This thread could go on forever it is really personal preference. I would say if you plan to drive in heavy traffic or plan to track get the PDK. For me neither applied so the 7spd MT made sense. Love it don't regret it! Even if it is .2 sec slower 0-60.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Luciddaydream is infamous around these parts
What is the PDK 0-60 and what is the manual's 0-60?

I didn't find the PDK Carrera S fast, but I am sure it was. Its just smoother than a 997 so I guess I dind't notice.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
Porsche list the manual at 4.3 and the PDK at 4.1, 3.9 with sport plus.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Vantage is infamous around these parts
Forgive me for the self promotion but I wrote an article on this a while ago which appeared on Jalopnik.

There are benefits to both but I still personally prefer a manual to paddles. Well check out the article if you like for more thoughts.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 PM
AllForTheCash is infamous around these parts
Love the 991 manual...much improved over my 997.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am one of the few who like both PDK and manual equally . I've driven and owned both . I've chosen my Boxster S in manual yet I would pick a 991 Turbo in PDK .The logic behind those two cars is easy for me :1) the top down Boxster has this row the gears fun factor . There's no need to be concerned with split second performance and 2) a 991 Turbo has to be the fastest and with PDK it will maintain boost in upshifts and rev match avoiding any chance of over revs .

A 991 and 991 s would be the very tough choice . Since the launch I had felt that the car loaded up with all the gearbox PDK technology and options (PASM, PDCC, sport Chrono , PDK. sport design steering wheel ) would represent the full Porsche flavor of a high gadget 911 .

But now I am not so sure . Part of me thinks these options are prone to evolve quickly and become dated (just as with the 997) before the rest of the car (engine and styling ) . Also there are numerous discussions on this forum about hesitation and PDK snags with the new car .

Last edited by yrralis1; 11-09-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 PM
shaytun is infamous around these partsshaytun is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Vantage
Forgive me for the self promotion but I wrote an article on this a while ago which appeared on Jalopnik.

There are benefits to both but I still personally prefer a manual to paddles. Well check out the article if you like for more thoughts.
Great article. My sentiments exactly (just well written).

Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 PM
JoeInDallas is infamous around these parts
I absolutely love my PDK transmission. I just did 4300 miles in less than 2 weeks. All types of driving conditions and roads. I had a 6 speed manual in my Z06 and in my BMW Z4 coupe, and loved them as well. The PDK was a deciding factor in my getting the 911. However, I will likely by a manual transmission 993. I am sure I will love it. I enjoy heel toe shifting. Personally I would choose the current PDK over a manual every time.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:14 AM
CarreraS737 is infamous around these partsCarreraS737 is infamous around these parts
This debate gets tiresome.

I am very happy with my 7 speed manual despite all the journalist trashing. I have driven both and can appreciate what both have to offer, but for me I wanted a more old school driver involvement.

It's a personal preference. Drive both for yourself and decide. There is no right or wrong choice. Only what's right for you.

Blonde or Brunette!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Fifth Gear did a comparison of PDK vs manual in a pair of Caymans. The result was the PDK was quicker off the line and to 60 and beyond. On the track the manual was the winner as it was lighter. Don't remember if there was much else. It wasn't a real deep comparison. May have been doctored towards the manual as Plato is quite fond of doing his own shifting.

As mentioned in other posts, it all comes down to preference.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:46 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah I have a 991 S MT and don't drive much in traffic either, since it's not my daily driver. I guess I do like to row the gears. Ok I hate to say this but having the manual limits the amount of people who ask, "can I drive it?" My wife can drive a stick, but does not want to drive the 991. I have 2 nephews who I would be hard pressed to say no to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual?