Front end "popping" when reversing with wheels turned..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Southwest4S is infamous around these parts
Front end "popping" when reversing with wheels turned..

Backing out of parking spaces with wheels turned sharply I notice a pop or stutter coming every so often from front suspension. I can almost feel the same thing wanting to happen with sharp low speed turns going forward. I have 5mm spacers front/rear (not sure if that matters) Does anyone else get this? Normal?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:26 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
It's the steering geometery of the car. Mine does the same.

Last edited by tommyboy214; 11-16-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:54 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Normal. As soon as the temperatures dropped, several threads have popped up about the same issue.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:54 AM
JB-991 is infamous around these parts
Not sure what steering geometry means, but I hear exact same thing when backing out of my garage with wheels turned sharply (my garage is try is on side of my house). I thought it was just the tires slipping on the garage floor.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
It's normal. Some have speculated it's the tires. I haven't switched to michelins yet, so can't comment there. It will happen cold or hot.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:05 PM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
It's normal, I had that happen with the Pirelli's, since I switched to PSS's, I haven't heard it.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
It's normal. Some have speculated it's the tires. I haven't switched to michelins yet, so can't comment there. It will happen cold or hot.
Seems to happen when outside temperature gets to about 45'F and lower and is completely normal on relatively hard lock in forward or reverse at low speed.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Snowczar
Seems to happen when outside temperature gets to about 45'F and lower and is completely normal on relatively hard lock in forward or reverse at low speed.
I don't disagree, but I can go outside right now and get the same result. It's about 70ish currently.

I did notice that when my tires were newer I didn't have the noise though.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
Did it on my 99 and does it on my 2012. Must be normal I've been living with it for over 14 years!

Old 11-17-2013, 03:47 AM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
i recently switched to PSS and I still have the issue, i don't think its a tyre issue. i am OCD and yet I don't see it annoying anyway.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Every car I've owned has done that !

Old 11-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
I don't disagree, but I can go outside right now and get the same result. It's about 70ish currently.

I did notice that when my tires were newer I didn't have the noise though.
I have never had it happen when temperature over 50'F. Only when getting close to 45'F and below.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
I have it happen every time when cold, but outside temperatures are often above 50 so not sure if that matters. Checked yesterday, 64 when I was backing out of garage and still happened.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Southwest4S is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the responses. It does not bother me, just wanted to make sure I did not need to get it checked out. Now I won't worry about it.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
I have it happen every time when cold, but outside temperatures are often above 50 so not sure if that matters. Checked yesterday, 64 when I was backing out of garage and still happened.
Do you have Power Steering Plus? It is on my car perhaps that's why I don't get it except in cold weather.

My BMW 650 with 20" wheels/tires does not do it nor my 996 TT with 18's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front end "popping" when reversing with wheels turned..