Xpel vs Ventureshield Ultra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Xpel vs Ventureshield Ultra

Hi everyone.

I'm finally getting delivery of my 14 Carrera S in about a week (just got the call from the dealer) after a 4 month wait

I will be getting paint protection film on full hood, full front fenders and full bumper. I am using an experienced local installer - they do Mclarens, Ferraris, etc so imam in good hands. I will also get the detailer to then apply Opticoat coating on the full car, including over the film.

I have the choice of Xpel or Ventureshield Ultra. The price difference quoted is about 10% more for the Xpel.

Now, I don't mind paying more for a superior product. I was told by the installer they prefer Ventureshiled Ultra as they find it is more clear and looks more OEM. Even though Xpel advertises self healing properties, I'm told the other films also exhibit this to a certain degree.

I am looking for some facts regarding the two films. What are the differences between the two and is one superior to the other ? Is Xpel hyped because it is the new kid on the block.

I know it's all about the quality of the install, but all things being equal, which one should I go for?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 PM
bigkraig is infamous around these parts
I'm having XPEL Ultimate installed tomorrow on a white '14. I'll snap some pictures and let you know what I think. I've been hesitant to get any film installed.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 PM
mas8002mi is infamous around these parts
xpel has been on my other car for >3 yrs, have had a very good experience so far. that is what went on my 2014 C2S too......

Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
I have xpel on my car and you really cant tell where it starts and ends. As my car is Black as well have to say I am huge fan of the self healing as you don't get any swirls.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO, XPEL Ultimate and Suntek Top Coated films are industry standard. This is due to durability, being able to fix the imperfections such as bug guts, bird droppings, scratches, etc., and the warranty. Your installer should be the first choice to consider. A good installer will apply the right film for YOU based on YOUR situation. Also, there are several grades of XPEL...I'm assuming you're speaking of ULTIMATE

Old 11-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
I have had XPEL installed on my 991 and Jag E Type. The 991 has been covered for almost a year and the material is holding up really well. The Jag has been covered for almost 6 months and I can see that the material has really protected the exposed parts without peeling off. You will be very happy with the XPEL.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM
CarreraS737 is infamous around these partsCarreraS737 is infamous around these parts
I also have the EXPEL (full front) on GT Silver.

I have had numerous people, including enthusiasts, walk right up to the car and tell me "you really ought to get a clear bra put on it".

That is probably the best compliment to receive. When the product and installation is done so well that most don't even know it's on. Even when they are standing right next to it. It looks just like the factory clear coat.

I am very happy with EXPEL, and I am also very meticulous about the details and product quality. I am sure there are other good options available, but I can recommend the the EXPEL from my experience.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
I too went with Xpel Ultimate on my GT Silver. I also put it on my F150 pick up truck. Fantastic film with a warranty/company that stands behind it.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:02 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
I think the question is Kit or Custom install?

Go custom, which is what the high end installers do.
It looks better in the end but you have to let them take a lot of the car apart to do it. Headlights, washer jets, fuel door, emblem, .....

Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Nuke986 has a spectacular aura aboutNuke986 has a spectacular aura about
I went with the Ventureshield but I feel it ismuch thinner then the stoneguard I had on my Boxster and I'm not confident it's going to hold up as well. I'd say go with the Xpel that most of the group seems to like.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Thanks for the input guys. I'm heavily leaning towards the Xpel Ultimate now.

Is a custom install from bulk film preferred over a laser pre cut template?

Are the headlights/driving lights removed during install to hide the edges better?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 PM
black_991s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LPB987S

Are the headlights/driving lights removed during install to hide the edges better?
As for the headlight question, this depends on your installer. Moe from GP did mine and he and his crew did a fabulous job. They took out the head lights and did a nice tuck underneath. You really don't know there is a clearbra on the car....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020840.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	304392  
Old 11-20-2013, 10:51 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold

That is right, along with washers and and filler cap.

My front was done by dealer with a kit, so I get to learn about all this after.
The bumper kit was done in multiple pieces and leaves some gaps.
I have to leave it for now.
http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...&submodel=1540

I am doing some additional parts (roof, rockers, head lights, driving lights) that will be done custom.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P2502JC.gif
Views:	784
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	304389  
Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Southwest4S is infamous around these parts

My installer went straight from the kit, however, he was able to completely wrap the hood, front qtr panels and many parts of bumper so that an edge is not visible. Not sure if he had to over ride the pre-programed cut to get extra material to do this or not. The result was excellent. Cannot even tell it is on the car.

I also recommend doing a small strip on bumper behind rear wheels. I did and that area has already taken a beating from rocks.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 AM
ptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of light
I installed Ventureshield Ultra for 8 years. I had to switch a few years ago when Xpel Ultimate came out. Ventureshield simply doesn't hold up in Texas with the bugs we have here. I now prefer Suntek over Xpel as its smoother, has a better adhesive, and is self healing. Both Xpel Ultimate and Sutnek are great films so you cant go wrong with either one.

As far as going with a custom install versus a kit install, it is entirely up to the accessibility of installers you have. Most custom installers do not know what they are doing and will cut the paint. Its easier to get into the clear bra business by doing custom installs as you don't have to buy a plotter and the software needed greatly decreasing cost. A good kit install can look as a good as a custom install if the kit is well designed and the installer takes the time to add wrapped edges to the pattern before cutting the kit. We do a combination of the two and have great results. I would recommend going down and watching an install before you commit to an installer. It will give you an idea of how the cut the film and the final install quality.