Buying out-of-state, sight unseen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Yonkers is infamous around these parts
Buying out-of-state, sight unseen

Hey guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger and I want to get everyone's opinion on the best steps moving forward.
I'm in Texas and the seller is in California. I don't have time to fly out there to check it out.
Here is what I was planning on doing:

1. Run Carfax

2. Order a PPI

3. Once all is agreed, use escrow.com to hold money

4. Schedule transport

5. Once it arrives I release the funds.

6. Seller overnights the title to me

The seller is from this site and known so I'm comfortable with that aspect but I do want to make sure I'm covered either way. And I do want to make sure the seller is comfortable sending off the car before receiving funds too.
Does this sound like a good plan?
Thanks.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
You seem to have things covered but just for the sake of comfort for all parties it may be wise to get a fellow local member (not known to the seller) to go and inspect the car.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Do you think I need to do that in addition to a PPI done by a local PCA approved shop?

Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
I'm not sure. It really depends on how critical anyone is. You just don't want an issue later on. It's what I would do.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:54 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
I have sold cars this way (but never bought one this way) and have always thought that the buyers were NUTS to trust a complete stranger AND sight unseen.
I have bought out of state on two occasions and invested in flights both times. First flight out, last flight home.

Surely your peace of mind is worth the flight to Cali?

I tend to catch things that others don't and would hate to blame someone else if something critical is missed. After all, the only person whose expectations need to be met are yours.

Worst case, PPI and another member from this board willing to donate their time for the cosmetics (which the PPI really doesn't cover).
Just my $0.02.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
I live in Virginia and flew to Texas to inspect my first Porsche (997.1). I spent about $500 to fly in to evaluate a $60K car. While I was in Texas I had the local dealer inspect it too. It was worth every penny. It's your money, but I would never buy a car, especially a Porsche, without seeing it first hand.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
:Could make for a fun road trip, fly in and inspect the car. If you like it, take ownership, check out some of the sites in Cali and then a nice road trip back to Texas. This will give you a chance to do a good test of the car. Let us know and I am sure someone in Cali would show you around..

Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
IMO it boils down to your expectations on cosmetics, as some have mentioned.

The PPI should give a comprehensive report on brakes, tires, codes, maintenance, etc. What you don't get is wear on the interior and exterior surfaces, e.g. seats, leather, dash, door sills, small paint chips, glass, etc.

Are you comfortable not seeing this firsthand? Are you comfortable not driving it first to see how it feels, sounds, etc.?

Also, there are many transporters to choose from. Are you opting for inside or out…and how would you manage a misstep on their part? I suppose you would never know not having seen the vehicle before it's loaded but that's a risk no matter who you choose and how they ship it.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:09 PM
nleeumd is infamous around these parts
Purchased my 991S in FL, living in DC. Dealer said stated the car was flawless without any blemishes and was about to trust them to just delivery the vehicle to me, but flew out for my own piece of mind. Found out, it had blemishes that were 'overlooked' by the dealer and was able to negotiate more off the car for it. Fly out and look for yourself! To me, it was worth the one day investment.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies. You guys tempered my excitement with some practicality and a good dose of fear. So I talked with my wife and we'll be planning a road trip very soon.
Thanks again.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
Good luck, if you are interested in staying a few days, I know some good roads..

Old 11-25-2013, 09:33 PM
TOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really nice
I bought my first 997.1 sight unseen from a porsche dealer in OHIO. Had it shipped to me to find out the CPO car had majority of the panels painted. I will never by a car sight unseen. Of course a solid PPI may reduce risk but when your spending this much money its worth the peace of mind to see the car in person. Sounds like the seller is a trusted individual but that is just my 2 cents.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 PM
omegaSMP300 is infamous around these parts
I bought 4 cars this year out-of state, without seeing them first hand. 2 from private sellers and 2 from dealerships. All I had was pictures and discussions with the seller/dealer. Only 1 of them I had PPI done on/had a friend inspect for me. Everything went smoothly and all the cars were great (one had a tiny dent on the lower rear bumper that I had not been informed of but that was it). I did not use an escrow account. I wired money upfront and they loaded the car on a transport and shipped to me. I might be a bit trusting but it all did work out.

I live in CA and the cars came from Georgia, Chicago, Oregon, and one from Wisconsin (currently on the way). Where is your car in CA? I could take a peek if you wanted but I am no porsche connoisseur or car mechanic. If you can make time to fly out, it really is for peace of mind plus you could transfer the money together and take the title home with you.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah, current updated plan is to fly out there and at least do the transaction in person. Hand over money and get keys and title. At this point I'm planning on driving it back and making a nice road trip out of it. Love the idea of driving down Highway 1 from San Jose to Los Angeles. Dread the thought of the rest of the trip East to Houston. lol. Lots of ugly scenery beyond that. Still might transport it instead.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:06 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
[QUOTE=Yonkers;3989094]...Lots of ugly scenery beyond that.....QUOTE]

It will go bye very quickly

Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying out-of-state, sight unseen